IGNORED

NES Classic Edition is Here!

Emehr

"Missing Adapter" the cause of Emio's malfunctioning joysticks:

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/11/16/missing-adapter-renders-edge-joystick-incompatible-nes-classic-edition/

Emio has made two devices to be used with the recently-released NES Classic Edition, one of which is The Edge Joystick. However, according to some reports, the joystick does not function with Nintendo’s mini console. While it does appear to work with the Wii and Wii U, Best Buy has ordered a recall asking people who have bought the controller to return it.

Emio has responded to the reports of the joystick’s incompatibility, citing that it does not function correctly due to an adapter not included in the box. Over on Facebook, the company has urged any customers who bought The Edge Joystick to contact their support team at support@PoweredByEmio.com.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2016/11/16/missing-adapter-renders-edge-joystick-incompatible-nes-classic-edition/#mGj91VktoMqXTDhK.99

I seriously doubt this was ever intended to be included in the packaging but rather is a stop gap measure by Emio to "fix" the malfunctioning joysticks. I have plans to mod mine to be compatible with a real NES.

• Like 3

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/11/16/missing-adapter-renders-edge-joystick-incompatible-nes-classic-edition/

I seriously doubt this was ever intended to be included in the packaging but rather is a stop gap measure by Emio to "fix" the malfunctioning joysticks. I have plans to mod mine to be compatible with a real NES.

You picked up on that as well? The minute I heard that statement, I thought, "Yep. You designed the controllers strictly off the assumption that if they work with Wii Remotes, they'll work on this thing, too, without even the passing thought that Nintendo might thwart those efforts by introducing something to make third-party controllers not work on the NES Mini."

• Like 2

Even without the MK connection, I can't have too much sympathy for Emio. It's clear they thought they could dodge the licensing fees paid to Nintendo to make it an official peripheral (when that would have also granted them test units before release) and were desperate to cash in on the Mini craze, and thus were unwilling to wait for consumer units to test. They just ordered a bunch of controllers from China faster than you could say "corner the market".

I actually understand their thought process, and I too am surprised that the controllers wouldn't work... but not so surprised that I would have done the same thing in their shoes. I've seen way too many projects go bad because something that absolutey should have worked, didn't. If Emio didn't have a controller working on a production NES mini, they should not have green-lit production.

• Like 3

Every time I run past this post my brain sees "Elmo's Malfunctioning Joysticks".

• Like 5

Now I want one of these Emios!...Cool they went with the adapter....Ridiculous they expected us to believe it was supposed to be there all along...Funny they didn't say that the very first day then haha....

I am one of the lucky few, and I'm hacking it to run on an original NES! 8)

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=168654

• Like 1

Be neat if someone modded an NES Advantage to work with the Classic Mini.NES Max with the mini would be rad too.

Hyperkin is coming out with an accessory to use original NES controllers with a Classic Mini console. My modded Emio joystick should also work with it by design.

Getting a Classic controller to work with an NES is a bit more difficult. The only method I know of is an 8bitdo BT adapter -> Wiimote -> CC.

Hyperkin is coming out with an accessory to use original NES controllers with a Classic Mini console. My modded Emio joystick should also work with it by design.

Getting a Classic controller to work with an NES is a bit more difficult. The only method I know of is an 8bitdo BT adapter -> Wiimote -> CC.

A bad directional move, you have a cool Joystick that works on the Wii and WiiU. Unless the NES gets more playtime, perhaps try the Eimo Stick on games such as Rayman Origins?

Classic controller works by default. Same plug.

NES Classic Mini uses a Wiimote plug. NES uses an NES plug.

They are NOT interchangeable, and in fact don't even use the same voltage logic level.

I am converting over the Emio Edge joystick to work with an NES, since it's actually higher build quality compared to the original Advantage. And with the upcoming Wiimote -> NES adapter, you can actually use original NES accessories, included my modified Edge joystick, with NES Classic Mini or Wiimote. Though depending on how efficient the 3-5V buck converter in the adapter, your batteries may or may not last a long time if used with a Wiimote.

Classic does not mean old in this context. I get the sense you're not talking about the same things.

"Classic Controller" = modern Wii controller with U-shaped Wiimote connector, like this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Controller

This is compatible with the NES Classic Mini via direct plug in. It can also work with the Wiimote on Wii or Wii U.

The NES Classic Mini short cord dingus is more like the Classic Controller than the 1980's original.

The 1980's original NES pad, with pins and stuff, is only compatible with retro and clone systems.

• Like 2

Classic controller works by default. Same plug.

In the context of my previous post, it appears 0078265317 misconstrued something I said, that I was confusing the NES and NES Mini controller interfaces somehow, but merely mentioned 3rd party solutions for getting one interface to communicate with the other.

Classic does not mean old in this context. I get the sense you're not talking about the same things.

"Classic Controller" = modern Wii controller with U-shaped Wiimote connector, like this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Controller

This is compatible with the NES Classic Mini via direct plug in. It can also work with the Wiimote on Wii or Wii U.

The NES Classic Mini short cord dingus is more like the Classic Controller than the 1980's original.

The 1980's original NES pad, with pins and stuff, is only compatible with retro and clone systems.

• 2 weeks later...

Edge Joystick is back in stock with free shipping at Powered By Emio:

http://www.poweredbyemio.com/home/product/details/EMI022.html

I don't mean to pile on, but it seems to me this was designed without ever touching the new NES Classic. There's a 9ft cord on this controller, which seems good, until you remember that game selection, pause, and suspend functions are controlled by buttons on the console. This really needs a HOME button.

Ah well, can't buy the main unit anyway.

I don't mean to pile on, but it seems to me this was designed without ever touching the new NES Classic. There's a 9ft cord on this controller, which seems good, until you remember that game selection, pause, and suspend functions are controlled by buttons on the console. This really needs a HOME button.

Ah well, can't buy the main unit anyway.

The Emio controller never saw an NES classic until the first sucker took it home and tried it out.

• Like 2

But I don't understand the mechanics. If it works on wii then why not on classic? Its the same plug receptricle.

there's 3 layers to any digital communications

1) physical, what is the wiring and connector like

2) language, what is the agreed apon language

3) protocol, what is the basic understanding of the language, aka British English vs US English vs Chinese English

if you do not have all three, confusion exists, and unlike humon's, you can't think about it and understand what a person in china is saying, even though its english, if you do not understand the terms and its presented in inverted morris code

even the NES uses a (fairly primitive) communications system

physical layer is "SPI" (serial preferial interface)

language is binary bit per byte

protocol is 8 bits per word

SNES uses the exact same thing except one of the 3 is different, that is item 3, SNES sends back 16 bits per word, therefore SNES has no idea what a NES controller says or a NES has no idea what a SNES controller says

wii, wii u and NES "cant buy it edition" is the same thing

its physical layer is that wii plug

its language layer is I2C

its protocol is different, when the emu controller says button A the NES classic see's "tomato soup corn" and says wut??

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

given the size of that dongle, its got a micro controller in it acting as a translator, or its spoofing the uuid of official Nintendo controllers that was not a problem beforehand

given the fact its larger than my 1999 wifi usb dongle (stupid psp and its 802.11B wifi) its a half assed solution to whatever its problem is, and could have been fixed with a firmware update if they didnt already build a entire warehouse of the things, and those things were chips that are more or less the modern equlivant of mask roms, where you can not just pop them open flash the firmware and go on

which even pop them open, flash the firmware and go on is roughly 2-3x the cost of making new adapter dongles and massively increases quality control concerns, like

stripped screw bosses

ESD damage

temporary sort labor

accounting

FIFO mix up's so a entire skid of "oops we didnt update that one, it was just placed over there cause there was no other place and the forklift picked it up" shit happens

electronics distrubution is quite complicated, only surpassed by food then medical

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 3

Emio The Edge Joystick arrived. Confirmed came with the mystery NES Classic Adapter! :thumbsup:

Newer EMIO Packages come with NES Classic Adapter inside:

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1072441#p1072441

EMiOTheEdge_tn.jpg

Nice. My local Frys may have these in stock, according to their webpage. I may have to pick one up and see if it has the adapter. Is there any way to tell from the outside of the box?