IGNORED

Found a TRS-80 model III 48K in an antique store

Blazing Lazers

It works as in you actually booted from a TRSDOS disk and ran programs off drive 0 and 1?

Also don't forget to try all the keys. Often many will take several taps to get a response and some may be completely dead.

Each key will need to be desoldered, removed, disassembled, cleaned with a pencil erasure and then all put back. EACH key has 4 legs that are soldered! It's easy but very time consuming, so that's something to factor in when making an offer.

If it's an early model with white stems under the key caps, it'll probably be fine. Later models with the black stems are junk and will most likely require the cleaning process. Lastly, trying to take a short cut by popping off the key caps and simply spraying contact cleaner between the crevices will destroy the keys.

Edited by Turbo-Torch
  • Like 1

One might share the location, unless you are going to buy it?

An antique shop/emporium on 223 E. Diamond Ave. in Olde Towne Gaithersburg, MD as part of a rented shop. And no, I don't plan to go back and buy it for myself, though I might if anyone else was truly interested. They said it had been there for at least a month.

It works as in you actually booted from a TRSDOS disk and ran programs off drive 0 and 1?

Works, as in it powered on. They didn't have anything else for it, or so they said. Cosmetically, the unit was in really nice condition.

• 2 weeks later...

The first picture is... interesting; the juxtaposition of the computer together with the other random antiques and junk. I occasionally browse antique stores -- I used to collect art glass -- but I have only ever seen a lonely Pac-Man cart; never any vintage hardware.

I have very fond memories of the Model III (I never actually touched a Model IV), but I would never buy an untested system.

• Like 1