IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable FAQ and Compatibility List

That type of hack would require taking away one of the buttons reserved for system functions. I don't know which one you would want to sacrifice, but I don't remember anyone ever hacking the systems OS before. If they had somone probably would have fixed the sound in the Genesis portable by now.

That type of hack would require taking away one of the buttons reserved for system functions. I don't know which one you would want to sacrifice, but I don't remember anyone ever hacking the systems OS before. If they had somone probably would have fixed the sound in the Genesis portable by now.

There are a few Atari 2600 games that use the BW/Color and difficulty switches for unusual functions. Secret Quest, Space Shuttle, Starmaster, and Super Cobra come to mind. Also, they all start with the letter S.

I would think it would be possible to map the Defender II buttons to the switches on the console, but I have no idea how difficult it would be.

Secret Quest

Status Screen

You can look at the status screen any time during the game by pushing

the [TV Type] switch on the 2600 console up and down. To return to the

game screen, push the [TV Type] switch up and down again. On the Atari

7800 switch between the game and status screens by pressing [Pause].

Space Shuttle

Flight Manual

I. Important Note about your Flight Deck Console

Game System Flight Deck Console

Power On/Off Internal Power

Color/B&W Primary Engines

Left Diff. Backup Engines

Right Diff. Cargo Doors/Landing Gear

Game Select Status

Game Reset Activate Countdown

Starmaster

6. Select game level as follows:

a. Move color/black-and-white switch to call up Galactic Chart (see

illustration next page).

[Note: StarMaster by ACTIVISION is designed to be played on color television

sets only.]

Super Cobra

"PAUSE" BUTTON

--------------

If, at any time during the game, you wish to "freeze" the action and your score

on screen, press the TV TYPE switch from "COLOR" to "B-W." When you are ready

to play again, simply reset the switch to "COLOR."

• Like 3

There are a few Atari 2600 games that use the BW/Color and difficulty switches for unusual functions. Secret Quest, Space Shuttle, Starmaster, and Super Cobra come to mind. Also, they all start with the letter S.

I would think it would be possible to map the Defender II buttons to the switches on the console, but I have no idea how difficult it would be.

Secret Quest

Space Shuttle

Starmaster

Super Cobra

Nice work! :)

• Like 1

I was wondering if someone has tried the following games yet?

Berzerk Voice Enhanced

DK VCS*

Frantic*

Incoming

Rally X

Real Sports Basketball

Scramble*

Space Raid*

Space Rocks*

* Doubt these games will play but wondered just in case

Tested some of these this morning and...

Don't work:

Berzerk Voice Enhanced

Frantic

Rally X

Scramble

Space Rocks

Real Sports Basketball is included with the unit (duh)!

Works:

Incoming

Space Raid (to my surprise!)

Edited by atarifan88

Good news for those that really want to play Berzerk! I found a way to make the original ROM work. When you first start the game you have your back to the wall, just shoot backwards and then you will be able to shoot in all directions after that. This is only the first level this happens and you are not getting shot at so no harm no foul. I haven't played this extensively, but now you can change the list to working, but flawed. Glad this one has a workaround after all! :)

• Like 3

Sorry for being a noob...the "Game" file worked on my portable...tried adding games to it...no luck. How do I add addtl games? Thanks!

Just drag them in. They MUST be formatted with initial capital, lowercase everything else. I'm putting a new batch in the top of this thread if you want to try that.

NO SPACEINVADERS.BIN

YES Spaceinvaders.bin

• Like 1

Sorry for being a noob...the "Game" file worked on my portable...tried adding games to it...no luck. How do I add addtl games? Thanks!

You mean Game folder, right? Game folder in the root of the formatted SD card and place your ROMs (.bin format) in that folder. For testing purposes, you can download the Space Invaders ROM from here on AtariAge and rename it with just the first letter capitalized and everything else lowercase. Barring that, you can just download and use the known working Game folder referenced earlier in this thread and place that on your SD card.

One question I haven't seen the answer to:

What is the limit to the number of characters in the game name the system can handle? Is it seven characters like in the days of DOS? If there is no limit, does anyone know the character limit the SD card screen will show?

• Like 1

One question I haven't seen the answer to:

What is the limit to the number of characters in the game name the system can handle? Is it seven characters like in the days of DOS? If there is no limit, does anyone know the character limit the SD card screen will show?

I don't think there's a limit to the number of the characters you can use, and it's certainly not seven like in DOS.

The screen is only so wide, so more than ten is going to get cut off. Everything is shown in uppercase even if you format it in the only way the system will accept, e.g., Romname.bin

BTW I updated the folder'o'ROMs on the first post if you want to pull down a large set of known working things, including homebrews curated by DoctorClu and all the known non-workers pulled out.

• Like 2

I don't think there's a limit to the number of the characters you can use, and it's certainly not seven like in DOS.

The screen is only so wide, so more than ten is going to get cut off. Everything is shown in uppercase even if you format it in the only way the system will accept, e.g., Romname.bin

BTW I updated the folder'o'ROMs on the first post if you want to pull down a large set of known working things, including homebrews curated by DoctorClu and all the known non-workers pulled out.

Did you leave Berserk in there? The reason I ask is I found a workaround to get the bullets to fire. I posted this fix in the compatability thread.

One thing I noticed on my Rom list that's displayed on the portable, I deleted my old folder with all the roms, then started fresh making a new Game folder and copied all the roms to it. When the list comes up, everything is in alphabetical order except it puts Zaxxon first. Does anyone have a similar issue?

One thing I noticed on my Rom list that's displayed on the portable, I deleted my old folder with all the roms, then started fresh making a new Game folder and copied all the roms to it. When the list comes up, everything is in alphabetical order except it puts Zaxxon first. Does anyone have a similar issue?

I dunno, but sega retro claims there is a tool to fix rom order:

http://segaretro.org/Arcade_Ultimate#Using_an_SD_card

I dunno, but sega retro claims there is a tool to fix rom order:

http://segaretro.org/Arcade_Ultimate#Using_an_SD_card

Thanks! I do not see a link for the tool "folder sort." Unless someone has the utility to share here, I'll try to do something else. Actually, I think all I have to do is delete the Zaxxon rom, plug the SD card back into the portable so it sees it's not there anymore. Then I'll put the rom back into the Game folder on the card and plug it back into the portable and hopefully it will get put at the end of the list.

On a separate note, I was reading about assigning images to roms on the SD card so they come up on the screen. Has anyone tried using Screen Gopher or MDB Edit to do this for the Atari? Wondering if it will work. I may try this and see...

Actually, I think all I have to do is delete the Zaxxon rom, plug the SD card back into the portable so it sees it's not there anymore. Then I'll put the rom back into the Game folder on the card and plug it back into the portable and hopefully it will get put at the end of the list.

You can skip that second step. Like most devices, the AFP sorts files based on their creation date, so just deleting it and pasting a new one (which will have a newer date) will automatically send the game to the end of the list.

That's how the file sorting programs work, they just edit all of the dates for you.