IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable FAQ and Compatibility List

Works great:

A-VCS-tec Challenge

Larry the Lemon

Fall Down (but the holes do not lineup correctly)

Flappy (some pipes are messed up)

Galactopus

Game Catcher

Halo 2600 (menu loads and the first 3 screens)

Pac Invaders (hack)

Poker Squares

Princess Rescue

Qb

Rip Off (wip)

Seaweed Assualt

Does not load:

2005 AA Christmas Cart- Reindeer Rescue

Juno First

Scramble

Man Goes Down

Four Play

Frantic

Orb

Rally (Ed Fries)

RunOut

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip! That cleaned the menu up very nicely.

Before:

post-2641-0-18151500-1481197703_thumb.jpg

After:

post-2641-0-45658500-1481197701_thumb.jpg

Since I like to keep my games sorted by manufacturer, I added a prefix to the file names to take care of that.

Awesome advice!

@ Flojomojo, (The folder I posted is 52 pages, many fewer ROMs, and way smaller in size.) Although I got 103 pages, when I ran Dot_clean in the 'Terminal' app in macosx, It reduced down to 52 pages like yours. There were all these 'extra' files showing up, only on the flashdrive, after being copied without them visible on the hard drive. Like ._space.bin, ._space.bin, and space.bin. THe menu list looked ugly and was quadrupled or whatever in size. So I learned a few Unix command line commands.The menu looks way nicer now.

As much as I adore Macs I have always hated how they add so much crap to a directory.

saw that keystone kapers works have anybody tried my hack of it laserman 2k3 on the portable, haven't brought mine yet maybe after xmas

Good to see you Dan and I see that Arenafoot confirmed your game of Laserman is working! Very awesome.

Well someone mentioned making hacks for the Flashback portable. In this thread...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259166-flashback-portable-needed-controller-hacks/

...I've asked the question could we hack Star Raiders (along with Indiana Jones and Spy Hunter) to use the function buttons to make those work? We got some good advice, and I've tried tinkering with Distella to disassemble Star Raiders and replace the key functions, but I am just starting to learn this. :D But I have wondered the same thing.

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1

Good that Halo works on it.

Someone else said that Halo is pretty glitchy.

Halo 2600 will run the main screen then the game starts. You can only go to the rooms up (pickup the gun) and down from the first room you start in. The game will not allow you to go to the right in any of the rooms.

could someone post the rom for Pac Man 8k that has the intro screen that works on the flashback portable. all the "pac man 8k" roms that claim to work do not have this intro screen and look like the 4k version.

The Pac Man 8k I use on stella has the intro screen. This rom does not work on the Atari flashback Portable.

post-8976-0-92200700-1481256502_thumb.jpg

Holy cow is this thing small. Just opened mine and set it to charge. 11 hrs huh?

Mine was charged in the package. I've put it on charge for an hour or two at a time and its still going. I've done more on and off testing ROMs on the SD card than gaming on it since I got it yesterday.

Update Dec 1 2016! By popular demand! A cleaned up version of the ROMs folder is attached. I pulled out the known unplayables. I also added some homebrews, tested by mighty AtariAger DoctorClu. Unzip the archive, and place the Game folder in the root of your SD card. Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back. attachicon.gifAFBP_20161201.zip

I downloaded the file above and loaded it onto my SD card with no problems - using a SanDisk 2GB card, where I still have about 1.8 to 1.9GBs of music on it. I went to show someone at work the game E.T. and it wasn't listed in that file above. After looking at the SD card/file on my desktop at home, I realize that the file is named "E_T.bin". The portable will not recognize files with symbols and/or more than the first letter capitalized. So, I changed it to "Et.bin" and it works fine.

We probably need to go thru that file and change the file names accordingly so that more of them will be recognized by the portable.

• Like 1

Hey new and old Atari Flashback Portable owners I'm curious about something and I wonder if it is the same for all production model Flashback Portables.

So the demo "doctor.bin" attached, worked quite well on the pre-production model and the the screen where Dr. Phil (or the Doctor guy) shows up you could see the text scroll by on the bottom.

On my production model the lower part of the screen is not displayed as I show in the picture here.

Can you load this demo on your production models and see if this is the same for you?

I either have a bad production model, or this is a trait of the production models. If so, some games may work differently between the pre-production and production models.

post-4709-0-02002900-1481270332_thumb.png

Doctor.bin

Works:

Enhance Pitfall (hack)

Enhance Pitfall Trainer (hack)

E.T. Fixed hack

Bloody Human Freeway (proto)

2003 AtariAge Holiday Cart

Backfire

Bee Ball

Dark Mage

Does not work:

Elevator Action (proto) - main screen loads - game screen completely messed up

Yahtzee - (repeats 2 of the 5 dice) - unplayable

Yahtzee (larger pips hack) - repeats 2 of the 5 dice - unplayable

Crack'ed - main screen loads but game does not

Hey new and old Atari Flashback Portable owners I'm curious about something and I wonder if it is the same for all production model Flashback Portables.

So the demo "doctor.bin" attached, worked quite well on the pre-production model and the the screen where Dr. Phil (or the Doctor guy) shows up you could see the text scroll by on the bottom.

On my production model the lower part of the screen is not displayed as I show in the picture here.

Can you load this demo on your production models and see if this is the same for you?

I either have a bad production model, or this is a trait of the production models. If so, some games may work differently between the pre-production and production models.

on mine it shows only the upper half of the text scroll - I.E. it's cutting off the bottom half of the words

• Like 1

I'm going to guess that a whole lot of you have Harmony Carts, and therefore have a bunch of homebrew ROMs (bins) already on your computer...I really need to get one of those someday.

Anyway I was wondering if there is a place where there are a whole bunch of homebrew ROMs? ... So far I've had to search AtariAge...But I was wondering if there is an easier way? Or if they're all in one spot somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

could someone post the rom for Pac Man 8k that has the intro screen that works on the flashback portable. all the "pac man 8k" roms that claim to work do not have this intro screen and look like the 4k version.

The Pac Man 8k I use on stella has the intro screen. This rom does not work on the Atari flashback Portable.

I thought I heard somewhere the PacMan 8k V2 Rom is the one to use. However I am at work and do not have my portable to try it out. Willie, if you have time, could you try it out and let me know?

pacman2600_8k_v2.bin.

Edited by atarifan88
  • Like 2

I thought I heard somewhere the PacMan 8k V2 Rom is the one to use. However I am at work and do not have my portable to try it out. Willie, if you have time, could you try it out and let me know?

pacman2600_8k_v2.bin.

ah, use the version 2 rom. I have been trying the version 5 rom with the intro screen. yep, version 2 does work on the portable, will make a note on that on the compatibility doc! Thanks Atarifan88!

• Like 3

ah, use the version 2 rom. I have been trying the version 5 rom with the intro screen. yep, version 2 does work on the portable, will make a note on that on the compatibility doc! Thanks Atarifan88!

Thank you! Now I can replace my PacMan4k ROM. Thanks for keeping up the list. BTW, I have tested the following games which work if you want to add them to the list:

Incoming (homebrew)

Space raid (homebrew)

Starfire (homebrew)

• Like 1

v2 of Pac-Man 8k works for me, but some of the colors are off. If only v.5 worked with this. Oh, well. Interestingly enough, Pac-Man 4k doesn't work for me. Pac-man himself is not aligned with the mazes.

On another note, while I certainly miss Pitfall II, Princess Rescue works great. Can anyone else recommend any games that really push the limits of the 2600, and work on the Flashback Portable?

attachicon.gifDSCF5344.JPG

Willie, I tried DINTAR816's:

pacman2600_8k_v4

pacman2600_8k_v5

pacman2600_8k_V6

The intro screen you have above works but has some issues with it. The ghosts/monsters are not displayed correctly.

The game works but the alignment of the ghosts/monsters and pac-man himself are completely off, which makes it pretty much unplayable.

v2 of Pac-Man 8k works for me, but some of the colors are off. If only v.5 worked with this. Oh, well. Interestingly enough, Pac-Man 4k doesn't work for me. Pac-man himself is not aligned with the mazes.

I found the most recent version of PacMan 8k, does this work for anyone: pacman2600_8k_V2E.bin

I have been using this version of PacMan 4k that works on my portable: pacman2600_4k_fix.rar

• Like 1