IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable FAQ and Compatibility List

I found the most recent version of PacMan 8k, does this work for anyone: pacman2600_8k_V2E.bin

I have been using this version of PacMan 4k that works on my portable: pacman2600_4k_fix.rar

yes, that one works to, same is the v2 pacman 8k most recent version is v5 I believe that also has the intro screen but it does on work on the portable

Well, its not a bad little system. What sold me on this was the SD capability. I've been reading the threads and understood that it wasn't 100% compatible, but I'm very happy with my purchase.

I've tried a few of my favorites (Beamrider, Frogger, H.E.R.O., River Raid and Space Invaders) and they all work well. I'm using a SanDisk 8gb class 4 SD card, in case anyone wants to know. :)

post-21941-0-46958100-1481472333_thumb.jpg post-21941-0-67337300-1481327048_thumb.jpg

Edited by sramirez2008
  • Like 2

Just wondering, is the overall list of roms going to be updated or changed? I'm working off a download from December 1st I think.

Not sure what you mean by "the overall list of roms." I posted a big mess of stuff as a starting point, and updated it once. I am at the point where it's good enough for me, so I'm unlikely to do that again.

That shouldn't stop anyone else, though.

If you want to add to it or make your own remix and post it here in the thread, PLEASE feel free to do so. The files are very small and the site owners don't seem to mind. I think it would be especially helpful to have (tested & formatted) sets of homebrew ROMs which haven't been talked about.

Please remember that we're all fans and players here, This isn't an official support page and no one owes anyone anything. We are sharing info for fun in our spare time,

Be the change you want to see.

• Like 4

Not sure what you mean by "the overall list of roms." I posted a big mess of stuff as a starting point, and updated it once. I am at the point where it's good enough for me, so I'm unlikely to do that again.

That shouldn't stop anyone else, though.

If you want to add to it or make your own remix and post it here in the thread, PLEASE feel free to do so. The files are very small and the site owners don't seem to mind. I think it would be especially helpful to have (tested & formatted) sets of homebrew ROMs which haven't been talked about.

Please remember that we're all fans and players here, This isn't an official support page and no one owes anyone anything. We are sharing info for fun in our spare time,

Be the change you want to see.

Haha, that's deep.

I was just wondering if people had updated the rar or anything with more titles or different working titles since you posted stuff.

• Like 1

I'm going to guess that a whole lot of you have Harmony Carts, and therefore have a bunch of homebrew ROMs (bins) already on your computer...I really need to get one of those someday.

Anyway I was wondering if there is a place where there are a whole bunch of homebrew ROMs? ... So far I've had to search AtariAge...But I was wondering if there is an easier way? Or if they're all in one spot somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

Funny you ask, I just started a thread asking almost the exact same thing.

• Like 1

I'm going to guess that a whole lot of you have Harmony Carts, and therefore have a bunch of homebrew ROMs (bins) already on your computer...I really need to get one of those someday.

No, actually I do not own a Harmony Cart. Wish I did..........

Anyway I was wondering if there is a place where there are a whole bunch of homebrew ROMs? ... So far I've had to search AtariAge...But I was wondering if there is an easier way? Or if they're all in one spot somewhere?

I have thousands of homebrew/hack ROMs on an external hard drive all separated in individual folders - its part of my "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." spreadsheet. That list has been an ongoing project for me since 2013, as there is no list of non-produced Atari homebrew games anywhere. It will never be "finished" as I update it usually on a daily basis. Currently, I'm still digging into the 1998-2003 era of homebrews and hacks.

• Like 3

No, actually I do not own a Harmony Cart. Wish I did..........

I have thousands of homebrew/hack ROMs on an external hard drive all separated in individual folders - its part of my "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." spreadsheet. That list has been an ongoing project for me since 2013, as there is no list of non-produced Atari homebrew games anywhere. It will never be "finished" as I update it usually on a daily basis. Currently, I'm still digging into the 1998-2003 era of homebrews and hacks.

Thanks so much Arenafoot! Now it's back to searching the old fashioned way...It's no problem, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't taking the long way around...Sometimes there's an easy solution, and I'm often the last to know for some reason...

Just got mine yesterday! Seems good so far, but I can't get ET to even show up on the SD list. The file in the Zip is called E_T.bin and I tried renaming it to Et.bin as someone suggested but no luck.

Never mind, I forgot that it orders them by date, so it's now at the end of the list.

Edited by SRGilbert
  • Like 3

I tried using dot_clean on my Mac using latest version of Sierra.

Does not seem to work.

I clean folder on my Mac and copy and paste folder to SD card.

Any help or has anyone tried it on Sierra?

Does it say completed or anything or just go back to terminal prompt?

What's not working? Does the SD card not work in the FB Portable? Or does the card work, but the extra files are still there in the Portable's menu? "Does not seem to work" doesn't tell us what's wrong.

First, make sure nothing is on the SD card, and that it's formatted as MS-DOS (FAT 32). (I'm using a brand new 8GB SanDisk microSDHC card in an SD adapter, and it works fine.)

Create a folder named GAME on the SD card.

Then, copy your ROMs over to that folder. (Or, you can create the folder on your Mac, load it up there, and copy the whole thing over to the SD card. Doesn't matter.)

Then, run dot_clean in terminal. My card has the default name NO NAME, so I ran this: dot_clean /Volumes/NO\ NAME/GAME

The easiest way to do that, is just type dot_clean and drag the SD card's GAME folder onto the Terminal window, and it will set the path. Then hit Return. When the prompt returns (it's almost immediate) then eject the card.

It doesn't return any results - it just returns to prompt. The only way you can test that it works, is to put the card into the Portable.

I wouldn't do anything else to the card on the Mac after running dot_clean, since it's possible the OS will just re-create the unwanted files again. If you do update anything on the card, you should run dot_clean afterwards.

I'm running El Capitan, but if it wasn't still supported, you'd get an error.

Thank you, I believe I figured out what i was doing wrong.

I could not get rid of the dot underscore files on SD card.

I tried to clean the Game folder on my Mac then transfer it to the SD card.

I have to clean the folder on the SD card then put card in FBP

Makes sense now, thanks for the help!

Is there any talk about a firmware update? It would be great if somebody came up with an alternate firmware, using the latest Stella! That would solve ALL the problems.

The only firmware update is going to be with a new model in 2017 I'm afraid. There is simply no capability built-in for flashing the firmware in any of the recent AtGames' products, and that's not going to change in the future. These are meant as closed plug and play systems, period.

It's also highly unlikely someone can put something else on this since it's mostly custom internals (i.e., it's not running a flavor of Unix/Linux or Android). To get Stella to recompile on non-standard hardware would be quite the challenge I would imagine. Frankly, someone could just spend a little more and get an open source or Android handheld and go to town with that. They really don't need to put the monumental effort into trying to mod something like this.

The only firmware update is going to be with a new model in 2017 I'm afraid. There is simply no capability built-in for flashing the firmware in any of the recent AtGames' products, and that's not going to change in the future. These are meant as closed plug and play systems, period.

It's also highly unlikely someone can put something else on this since it's mostly custom internals (i.e., it's not running a flavor of Unix/Linux or Android). To get Stella to recompile on non-standard hardware would be quite the challenge I would imagine. Frankly, someone could just spend a little more and get an open source or Android handheld and go to town with that. They really don't need to put the monumental effort into trying to mod something like this.

Any word if AtGames is open to having Homebrew authors provide their .BIN files to include on an upcoming game system?

• Like 2