IGNORED

Buy a real nintendo instead...

good lord man.. why get a multicart when the Everdrive is out there? Boggles my mind..

Because it's a $15 dollar finished product. No loading ROMs etc.

Yep, I'll miss some games (though again, that multicart kicks serious ass) and I can't load all of them on (boy will I miss Win Lose or Draw, and Wheel of Fortune!). For something like an 85$ dollar difference I'm pretty ok with that, and am nowhere near through the 150 games on the thing.

• Like 2

good lord man.. why get a multicart when the Everdrive is out there? Boggles my mind..

I'm sure most anyone would prefer the Everdrive, but the 150-in-1 is a lot cheaper.

As for me, I don't have either one. I only have about a dozen original cartridges. I'd like to have an Everdrive, but it's hard for me to justify the price, because there aren't a lot of NES games, or video games in general, that I actually like. I already own most of my favorites for the NES. I made a disc for my Dreamcast about 10 years ago with a NES emulator and all 700 someodd NES games, and I only ever played it a few times.

lol Guess so.. while yeah we can all agree Wheel of Fortune isn't exactly great, there are many great games (e.g. CRAZY CLIMBER) that you don't normally get in those carts either. :)

But also yeah while having complete libraries of games are a thing, to me one of the great advantages is loading up hacks, especially the Random Zeldas from Zelda Randomizer, the Super Tecmo Bowl roster changes, Castlevania: Chorus of Mysteries, etc. etc.

<edit> and yeah of course you can play all of these in an emulator.. on the PC, Xbox, Wii, GBA/DS whatever (which I'm sure is the overwhelming way most would play hacks) But we're talking about playing it on a real NES in this thread... Just saying :)

Edited by NE146
  • Like 3

Being able to load hacks/homebrews is one thing I'd like to do--I'd love to have an updated Tecmo Superbowl for sure. (those Castlevania remix games though....blech! But that's neither here nor there, it's a def + to the power pack).

Don't sleep on that mulitcart though....the guy who put the roms on that thing knew the NES and he knew the market. There's some glaring omissions for sure, but it's a far cry from the old days of multicarts having 4000 versions of Galaga.

• Like 2

<edit> and yeah of course you can play all of these in an emulator.. on the PC, Xbox, Wii, GBA/DS whatever (which I'm sure is the overwhelming way most would play hacks) But we're talking about playing it on a real NES in this thread... Just saying :)

Yes, playing it on a real NES is definitely better than any emulator; ideal in fact, and it's the only thing that keeps me from completely dismissing the idea of buying an Everdrive. SMB 2j and Nintendo's 2010 update of Donkey Kong are two games that immediately come to mind that I'd like to play on my NES, neither of which exist in official cartridge form.

Since the prices in that article were so vastly off, I decided to use https://www.pricecharting.com to find out what it would really cost to buy an original NES system and all 30 games included on the NES Mini. PriceCharting tracks what systems and games actually sell for on eBay then averages the prices out, so I find them to be a very reliable source for determining the value of games with good condition labels. That said, here's how the prices work out (rounded to the nearest dollar for each game):

*snip*

Total: $512

That's not including shipping costs mind you, so unless you're able to get good deals with free shipping on the system and all the games then you can probably tack on another $100 or so for shipping (figuring $2.80 per game for USPS First Class Mail shipping and around $15 for Priority Mail shipping on the console). All told you're looking at about $600 to buy an original NES system and all the games included on the NES Mini, which makes the Mini a very attractive option for the average consumer at 1/10th the price of the original and none of the hassle of trying to buy the system and all the games individually then finding a working CRT TV to play them on.

It may not be the ideal solution for the avid retro gamer (for them I'd recommend an original NES and an EverDrive N8) but it's still a neat little product for reintroducing the masses to a timeless piece of gaming hardware. Plus it's really cute. :)

In Canadian dollars, that would cost about $10,000.

Seriously though, why would I want to dick around with finding a console, finding games, paying out the ass, then figuring out how to connect it to my flatscreen, make sure everything works, fix blinking lights, clean carts, store carts, store the console, and store the accessories; when I could just pay 80 maple syrup dollars and get a neat little console that connects to my TV via HDMI, looks cute, and just works. Plus I get the modern benefit of save-states, different display modes, and links to the manuals which I can read on my phone. To me it's a no-brainer, especially because I'm trying to reduce the amount of shit I don't use in my house not add to it.

This thing ain't for the purists. This thing is for people like me who fondly remember these games, but don't want to empty their wallet and clutter their home to enjoy them on the big screen.

• Like 5

In Canadian dollars, that would cost about $10,000.

Seriously though, why would I want to dick around with finding a console, finding games, paying out the ass, then figuring out how to connect it to my flatscreen, make sure everything works, fix blinking lights, clean carts, store carts, store the console, and store the accessories; when I could just pay 80 maple syrup dollars and get a neat little console that connects to my TV via HDMI, looks cute, and just works. Plus I get the modern benefit of save-states, different display modes, and links to the manuals which I can read on my phone. To me it's a no-brainer, especially because I'm trying to reduce the amount of shit I don't use in my house not add to it.

This thing ain't for the purists. This thing is for people like me who fondly remember these games, but don't want to empty their wallet and clutter their home to enjoy them on the big screen.

You make a good point! But I think collectors will want them, too. I know this product will appeal to casual gamers...But it also appealed to me...Even if it's in addition to old hardware, stacks of carts, multi-carts, repros, Famicoms, clone systems, handhelds, My Sharp Twins, Fami games, Famiclone games, Famiclones,...etc.

It's funny I almost forget that some people want one to replace the old stuff...Not add to it.

• Like 1

Sure, and save states for cheaters being a decent #2 (which I use whenever offered and needed!) But the article itself was just a tit for tat total.

I'll get this cute little thing when it's 60$ again. People paying out the %$# for it....well it's their money.

Save states are not cheating. Its just picking up where you left off. Like the old days with no password or batteries and leaving the system on for days while you beat a game. So now no more.

Save states are not cheating. Its just picking up where you left off. Like the old days with no password or batteries and leaving the system on for days while you beat a game. So now no more.

hqdefault.jpg

If you save a game using this savestate system, then lose a life soon after and restart from the savestate, this can clearly be considered cheating.

• Like 2

Plus 5 lives is not enough for the average user. There should of been more to begin with. Like super mario brothers 1 for example. If you died on 8-2. Then you should start at 8-2 not 8-1 all over again or from the start at 1-1 for that matter. And in part 3 should of been unlimited continues and if you beat 5 levels in world 1 you start there again not all over from the start again. It was even back then too hard. So save states are welcome.

Oh that's another cool thing about the Everdrive.. save states on a real NES! :)

I'm all for savestates man.. look, I played and finished games like "Kid Icarus" many times back in the day. If I'm going to play it now, damn straight I'm going to save in the treasure chest rooms before I start opening them, and why not? For all the times I lost in those room decades ago I earned it! :lol:

Kid_Icarus_Room_Treasure_SolutionA.png

Edited by NE146
  • Like 2

With save states, most anyone can finish most any game that has an ending. My cousin, Mike, came back to Maine for a visit in 2008. He was the first person I knew to get an NES; he got it about two weeks after it was released nationwide in 1986. We spent many hours back then playing Super Mario Bros., and later on, Super Mario Bros. 2. So for old times' sake, I fired up a Super Mario Bros. game on an emulator; one that we'd never played before, and which he'd never even heard of: the Japanese SMB 2. We used save states and online guides showing where the warp zones were, to finish it in a matter of a few hours, and that's a very hard game.

That game does have unlimited continues if I remember right, but it starts you back at the first level of whatever world you're in. Save states are way better, especially when you make a new one every 5 minutes or so, though I don't consider completing the game via abuse of save states to be a case of actually having beaten the game. It was fun nonetheless.

But its still emulation. Not real carts. So no the same authentic feel. And there could be sound and other glitches could happen that the real cart may not have.

The Everdrive only emulates a normal cartridge; the game code is still running on real hardware, so as long as it's working properly it will feel the same. When people talk about emulation being different, they are talking about software that emulates hardware platforms. In that case you're not running the game code on the original hardware, you're ultimately running it on PC hardware or some other modern hardware platform.

With save states, most anyone can finish most any game that has an ending. My cousin, Mike, came back to Maine for a visit in 2008. He was the first person I knew to get an NES; he got it about two weeks after it was released nationwide in 1986. We spent many hours back then playing Super Mario Bros., and later on, Super Mario Bros. 2. So for old times' sake, I fired up a Super Mario Bros. game on an emulator; one that we'd never played before, and which he'd never even heard of: the Japanese SMB 2. We used save states and online guides showing where the warp zones were, to finish it in a matter of a few hours, and that's a very hard game.

That game does have unlimited continues if I remember right, but it starts you back at the first level of whatever world you're in. Save states are way better, especially when you make a new one every 5 minutes or so, though I don't consider completing the game via abuse of save states to be a case of actually having beaten the game. It was fun nonetheless.

Nintendo was 1985 not 1986

The Everdrive only emulates a normal cartridge; the game code is still running on real hardware, so as long as it's working properly it will feel the same. When people talk about emulation being different, they are talking about software that emulates hardware platforms. In that case you're not running the game code on the original hardware, you're ultimately running it on PC hardware or some other modern hardware platform.

But its still roms. Its not quite the same.

Nintendo was 1985 not 1986

Only if you lived in New York. I said:

"[...] he got it about two weeks after it was released nationwide in 1986."

The NES was released nationwide in September of 1986.

But its still roms. Its not quite the same.

It's a ROM on a normal cartridge too. The original cartridges are where those ROM images people use for emulators or flash carts come from in the first place.

Edited by MaximRecoil