IGNORED

Buy a real nintendo instead...

Oh that's another cool thing about the Everdrive.. save states on a real NES! :)

I'm all for savestates man.. look, I played and finished games like "Kid Icarus" many times back in the day. If I'm going to play it now, damn straight I'm going to save in the treasure chest rooms before I start opening them, and why not? For all the times I lost in those room decades ago I earned it! :lol:

Kid_Icarus_Room_Treasure_SolutionA.png

Don't need save state when doing the treasure room. If you break a few certain pots, how many heart vs mallet will tell you which one is the ghost of poverty and you can safely break the rest open.

Stolen from a web site:

There is a method that you can use to figure out what pot the God of Poverty is hidden inside, and therefore, which pot you should wait to shoot last. In each world, there are three pots that you can safely shoot and reveal the contents of. The number of mallets that result from those pots will indicate which pot should be shot last. Shoot the pots indicated in the images below, and consult the following tables to determine the correct pot to save.

For the first world, shoot the three indicated pots.

• If you see no mallets, save the pot in the lower left corner for last.
  • If you see one mallet, save the pot in the upper right corner for last.
  • If you see two mallets, save the pot above the entrance for last.
  • If you see three mallets, save the pot in the center of the room for last.

Kid_Icarus_Room_Treasure_SolutionB.png

For the second world, shoot the three indicated pots.

• If you see no mallets, save the pot in the lower right corner for last.
  • If you see one mallet, save the pot below pot a for last.
  • If you see two mallets, save the pot in the center of the room for last.
  • If you see three mallets, save the pot in the upper left corner for last.
  • Like 2

Only if you lived in New York. I said:

"[...] he got it about two weeks after it was released nationwide in 1986."

The NES was released nationwide in September of 1986.

It's a ROM on a normal cartridge too. The original cartridges are where those ROM images people use for emulators or flash carts come from in the first place.

Yes but I have a super mario brothers 1 rom with funky sound. And 1 with brown bricks in the intro and not red ones like the originals. So real carts are the best. Its how it was meant to be.

Yes but I have a super mario brothers 1 rom with funky sound. And 1 with brown bricks in the intro and not red ones like the originals. So real carts are the best. Its how it was meant to be.

Then you just got bad ROM dumps. A clean ROM from a reputable source on a device like an EverDrive, Harmony cartridge, or any other well made flash cart will play 100% exactly same as the original cartridges. Zero difference whatsoever in sound, graphics, or gameplay. As far as where to get good clean ROMs, I can't say due to forum rules, but I can tell you that somewhere out there is a Paradise for a rare bird that is the second largest living bird in existence. It is native to Australia and the only surviving member of the genus Dromaius. Find it's Paradise and you will have found the treasure you seek.

• Like 3

As far as where to get good clean ROMs, I can't say due to forum rules,

Really? That sounds more like some other forum.

This site hands out Atari ROMs like friggin candy from the system links at the top right.

I can't imagine a link would cause too much fuss (jag forum excluded, because reasons)

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

But everybody I knew had it in 1985 and never lived in NYC.

After the October 1985 NYC test-market release, it wasn't released to another test market area until February 1986. If everyone you knew had an NES in 1985, and they didn't get them in NYC, then I have no idea where they got them. Also, the NES didn't become hugely popular until '88 or '89. In '86 and '87 I only knew of two kids in my grade at school who had one: my cousin Mike and a kid named Ryan who insisted that he was the first one in school to get an NES. I told him my cousin Mike had one at least a week before he did. Mike cheated though: he swapped the $200 price tag at Ames with a $50 price tag, and actually got away with it. My mother never did like me hanging around with Mike.

Edited by MaximRecoil
  • Like 1

As far as where to get good clean ROMs, I can't say due to forum rules.

Really? That sounds more like some other forum.

This site hands out Atari ROMs like friggin candy from the system links at the top right.

From the forum guidelines:

"Pirated Software/Music/Movies/etc: Do not post information on where to obtain pirated software, music, movies, or other copyrighted media. Please also do not post such material directly to the forums. We will tolerate posting information regarding binary images for classic gaming consoles and computers, where the company controlling the copyrights is either no longer in business, unknown, or is not actively protecting the copyrights."

I think a general safe rule of thumb is to just tell people to run a search engine query for whatever they are looking for. I'm not really sure why people don't think of trying that to begin with in this day and age, but I digress.

Don't need save state when doing the treasure room. If you break a few certain pots, how many heart vs mallet will tell you which one is the ghost of poverty and you can safely break the rest open.

That's a lot to memorize. However, it's great to see there's a bit of rhyme and reason to the whole thing. I always thought it was completely random. :)

• Like 1

Only if you lived in New York. I said:

"[...] he got it about two weeks after it was released nationwide in 1986."

The NES was released nationwide in September of 1986.

Imagine what the scalper situation would have been like if eBay had existed in 1985 and you could only buy the NES at brick and mortar retailers in New York. :o

An original system from ebay plus a 150-in-1 multicart from alibabba should be like $80-100 tops. And that multicart kicks ass.

Because it's a $15 dollar finished product. No loading ROMs etc.

Yep, I'll miss some games (though again, that multicart kicks serious ass) and I can't load all of them on (boy will I miss Win Lose or Draw, and Wheel of Fortune!). For something like an 85$ dollar difference I'm pretty ok with that, and am nowhere near through the 150 games on the thing.

That 150-in-1 cart is awesome. I got one for my friend's birthday last year...

Here's my review of it:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=157123

Then you just got bad ROM dumps. A clean ROM from a reputable source on a device like an EverDrive, Harmony cartridge, or any other well made flash cart will play 100% exactly same as the original cartridges. Zero difference whatsoever in sound, graphics, or gameplay. As far as where to get good clean ROMs, I can't say due to forum rules, but I can tell you that somewhere out there is a Paradise for a rare bird that is the second largest living bird in existence. It is native to Australia and the only surviving member of the genus Dromaius. Find it's Paradise and you will have found the treasure you seek.

I figured it out. :grin:

• Like 1

Stolen from a web site:

There is a method that you can use to figure out what pot the God of Poverty is hidden inside, and therefore, which pot you should wait to shoot last. In each world, there are three pots that you can safely shoot and reveal the contents of. The number of mallets that result from those pots will indicate which pot should be shot last. Shoot the pots indicated in the images below, and consult the following tables to determine the correct pot to save.

For the first world, shoot the three indicated pots.

• If you see no mallets, save the pot in the lower left corner for last.
  • If you see one mallet, save the pot in the upper right corner for last.
  • If you see two mallets, save the pot above the entrance for last.
  • If you see three mallets, save the pot in the center of the room for last.

Kid_Icarus_Room_Treasure_SolutionB.png

For the second world, shoot the three indicated pots.

• If you see no mallets, save the pot in the lower right corner for last.
  • If you see one mallet, save the pot below pot a for last.
  • If you see two mallets, save the pot in the center of the room for last.
  • If you see three mallets, save the pot in the upper left corner for last.

Yes we all know there's a method to it.. that requires looking it up :P Maybe I should have used another example.. oh.. The Zelda coin game! For that I use save states for a-plenty :lol:

Edited by NE146

Save states are not cheating. Its just picking up where you left off. Like the old days with no password or batteries and leaving the system on for days while you beat a game. So now no more.

Picking up where you left off, as in leaving your system on a game with infinite continues etc is one thing.

Using save states to defeat the designed limits of number of lives/number of continues/save stating every two secs in difficult sections, is another. And it's cheating.

Does everdrive feed the data to, and respond to, the console with the exact same timings as a genuine cartridge's circuitry would?

In principle yes. In practice it depends how diligent the FPGA developer was in testing timings. It can be tweaked by improving FPGA coding so it can be refined (i.e. not a hardware limitation).