IGNORED

Buy a real nintendo instead...

You can buy it from the source at https://krikzz.com.. but if you're in the states be prepared to wait 2-3 weeks for arrival from Ukraine.

Else, resellers like http://www.stoneagegamer.comsell it and you'll get it in 2 days usually via Priority mail. But they like to add a lot of fluff to it.. which is fine for some. I bought the Turbo Everdrive from them.

• Like 2

Then you just got bad ROM dumps. A clean ROM from a reputable source on a device like an EverDrive, Harmony cartridge, or any other well made flash cart will play 100% exactly same as the original cartridges. Zero difference whatsoever in sound, graphics, or gameplay. As far as where to get good clean ROMs, I can't say due to forum rules, but I can tell you that somewhere out there is a Paradise for a rare bird that is the second largest living bird in existence. It is native to Australia and the only surviving member of the genus Dromaius. Find it's Paradise and you will have found the treasure you seek.

I think he was referring to the colors or audio being a bit "off" when using emulation or cloned hardware. Like bricks being too dark in SMB and the sky having a purple tint. Some people just accept that's how the game is supposed to look under emulation or hidef equipment, but those of us still kicking an original NES connected to a tube TV know better.

Then you just got bad ROM dumps. A clean ROM from a reputable source on a device like an EverDrive, Harmony cartridge, or any other well made flash cart will play 100% exactly same as the original cartridges. Zero difference whatsoever in sound, graphics, or gameplay. As far as where to get good clean ROMs, I can't say due to forum rules, but I can tell you that somewhere out there is a Paradise for a rare bird that is the second largest living bird in existence. It is native to Australia and the only surviving member of the genus Dromaius. Find it's Paradise and you will have found the treasure you seek.

I laughed harder than I should have at this.

• Like 1

Picking up where you left off, as in leaving your system on a game with infinite continues etc is one thing.

Using save states to defeat the designed limits of number of lives/number of continues/save stating every two secs in difficult sections, is another. And it's cheating.

The old F5 Save / F7 Resume trick. I used to have those mapped to the triggers on my logitech controller bitd. At some point while playing those batshit insane difficult games where you start to rewind every five seconds, it starts to get lame though...

Oh and it's only cheating if you resume from the same state more than once. Using a state to save your progress in a game is different from spamming it in tricky areas or always getting desirable items from a chance machine or roulette wheel.

Ever hit SAVE instead of RESUME like a dumbass? Or RESUME when you meant to SAVE and lose like an hour of progress? SAVE immediately before a bone crushing death and you keep rewinding and pressing different directions on the Dpad to no avail? Yep, been there before...

While I was on 'the website that must not be named' I noticed Qix was avalible for the NES. So then to youtube to see, then to ebay to buy,,, Then $40 bucks! :sad:

Where to buy this everdrive at?

I paid $9 for mine bitd and was very proud to actually own an "A" game on the NES rarity list. Honestly Qix was higher than it should have been. Until then my most coveted game was an "A-" Tengen Tetris. Ironically, that list was riddled with inaccuracies. And Stadium Events was only a "B" [!] in earlier versions...

Read this antiquated rarity/price guide and weep! :sad:

http://www.neshq.com/lists/updatedrare60.txt

The old F5 Save / F7 Resume trick. I used to have those mapped to the triggers on my logitech controller bitd. At some point while playing those batshit insane difficult games where you start to rewind every five seconds, it starts to get lame though...

Oh and it's only cheating if you resume from the same state more than once. Using a state to save your progress in a game is different from spamming it in tricky areas or always getting desirable items from a chance machine or roulette wheel.

Ever hit SAVE instead of RESUME like a dumbass? Or RESUME when you meant to SAVE and lose like an hour of progress? SAVE immediately before a bone crushing death and you keep rewinding and pressing different directions on the Dpad to no avail? Yep, been there before...

Eeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...like I said, if it's akin to leaving your system on with the game paused, sure.

And yes, I have done the save instead of load deal...literally like last night, playing the Mega Man Collection on 3Ds (which has a crap button/menu combo to do it). Like you say, actually made the game HARDER!

Using save states to defeat the designed limits of number of lives/number of continues/save stating every two secs in difficult sections, is another. And it's cheat

Yes but as somehody said before downloading roms won't get you into trouble. No body has before. So if true then I am not going to wory about this either. Nobody is going to toss me in jail for using save states to cheat.

Yes but as somehody said before downloading roms won't get you into trouble. No body has before. So if true then I am not going to wory about this either. Nobody is going to toss me in jail for using save states to cheat.

Of course not.

They just take away your ability to call the Nintendo Power hotline.

Full disclosure.. I just remembered I used Save States to go through Megaman 2 on the everdrive, e.g. the energy bars on the Quickman stage.

Cheating? Yes.

Have I finished Megaman 2 (and Quickman's stage) legitimately more times than I can remember in my lifetime? Yes.

But that was decades ago. Today when I'm near 50 I'm all about having fun and it's more fun for me to replay these games flying through with some aid as needed, vs. restarting it over and over again until I learn it cold (again). It is what it is. :)

• Like 1

yes but mine was delux not action

Mario and Duck Hunt in one cart. Two controllers and the Gray zapper. Please don't ask me to choose which set to get when I can have BOTH! :grin: No gimmicky robots or fugly sports pads though... :P

I'm honestly surprised Nintendo hasn't gone full RIAA on the ROM sharing sites. Even Archive.org is hosting them now! Shhh... |:)

Of course not.

They just take away your ability to call the Nintendo Power hotline.

Who needs 1-900 numbers (with or without parent's permission) when you've got GAMEFAQs? Working for the NOA tips hotline, playing games all day when not answering calls must have been every boy's "wet-dream" fantasy job! :love:

FWIW I sold my NES collection a couple years ago. I just didn't play it enough and didn't want to keep putting money into more games on that platform. I doubt I'll buy the mini, but given the choice between that or getting back into real NES collection I'd go with the Mini (or similar box). It's cheaper (MSRP, not ridiculous ebay inflation), it's easier, it plays the real games (not reprogrammed versions like some earlier all-in-ones), it takes up less space and it still provides "real" controllers and output to a TV. I'm not the primary market for this thing, but there are plenty of good reasons to buy the mini instead of a real NES. I replaced my ColecoVision collection with a Flashback and I'm perfectly happy with that as well. There are other consoles (2600, 7800, etc) I wouldn't replace with a unit like this because I enjoy too many different games and still like expanding the collection.

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 1

Full disclosure.. I just remembered I used Save States to go through Megaman 2 on the everdrive, e.g. the energy bars on the Quickman stage.

Cheating? Yes.

Have I finished Megaman 2 (and Quickman's stage) legitimately more times than I can remember in my lifetime? Yes.

But that was decades ago. Today when I'm near 50 I'm all about having fun and it's more fun for me to replay these games flying through with some aid as needed, vs. restarting it over and over again until I learn it cold (again). It is what it is. :)

Which is the worser offense?

Game Genie codes (Infinite health, lives, ammo, super jumps, etc...)

Using save states to rewind the gameplay a hundred times until you get it right?

Cheating? Yes.

Oh I agree 100%. That is exactly the game I used them for on the 3DS this week!

It is really convenient to do better than the NES Classic Mini at the current scalped prices.

You want a console that can output HDMI in 720p and can play all the games of the NES Classic Edition with better accuracy, less latency and far more selection, here is your shopping list :

RetroUSB AVS Console = $185

EverDrive N8 = $ 118

NES Controller x 2 = $20

Total cost = $323 (not including shipping).

Edited by Great Hierophant
  • Like 3

You can buy it from the source at https://krikzz.com.. but if you're in the states be prepared to wait 2-3 weeks for arrival from Ukraine.

Else, resellers like http://www.stoneagegamer.comsell it and you'll get it in 2 days usually via Priority mail. But they like to add a lot of fluff to it.. which is fine for some. I bought the Turbo Everdrive from them.

I ordered my Sega Master System Everdrive from Stoneagegamer, and I couldn't be happier with the product or the service. Highly recommended.

• Like 1

Which is the worser offense?

Game Genie codes (Infinite health, lives, ammo, super jumps, etc...)

Using save states to rewind the gameplay a hundred times until you get it right?

Some Game Genie codes are a worse "offense" (though it's a meaningless "offense", because it's against a game rather than a person) because ones like invincibility remove the challenge. On the other hand, save state abuse still requires you to overcome all of the challenges, you just get a lot more tries at them in a shorter amount of time than you're supposed to. It's actually a good way to practice, such as if you're working on getting a good speed run time.

Who needs 1-900 numbers (with or without parent's permission) when you've got GAMEFAQs? Working for the NOA tips hotline, playing games all day when not answering calls must have been every boy's "wet-dream" fantasy job! :love:

Back in 1986, Konami had their US headquarters in Wood Dale, IL, and I remember applying for a job there as a game counselor. Never did get the job. I guess the commute from (then) rural Joliet on some of the worst tollways in the Chicago area wasn't exactly enticing to them.

On the other hand, save state abuse still requires you to overcome all of the challenges, you just get a lot more tries at them in a shorter amount of time than you're supposed to. It's actually a good way to practice, such as if you're working on getting a good speed run time.

I like how most modern games have done away with the arcade-style "three lives and you're out" mode of play.

In the arcade, you want to take in money from the player, and "one life to live" like Odyssey 2 wouldn't seem fair to someone just learning. I get why you'd replicate that on a pre-crash era system that aspired to arcade quality.

In a long-form home game, I suppose you wanted to justify the high asking price ($30+) of the games by providing "replay value." I don't think there's much fun or learning to be had from the need to start over from the beginning after a few failed attempts. Why punish the player who just wants to have fun? Because some mid-1980s sadist was padding out the length? That's not a good reason.

"Save state abuse" doesn't hurt anyone, because just as you say, there's no "offense" except in the player's mind. I'd much sooner abuse save states than waste a player's time and goodwill.

• Like 1

Eh.. SaveStates are simply a development in gaming. But not a new one. And they allow many conveniences. They're only a cheat if you consider them such. Most importantly they eliminate tedious time-wasting grinding and allow a lengthy game to be broken into several sessions.

Edited by Keatah

In principle yes. In practice it depends how diligent the FPGA developer was in testing timings. It can be tweaked by improving FPGA coding so it can be refined (i.e. not a hardware limitation).

Then, by the book, Everdrive is emulation, no two ways about it. Part of the system is being emulated/simulated/recreated/replaced whatever.

Imagine what the scalper situation would have been like if eBay had existed in 1985 and you could only buy the NES at brick and mortar retailers in New York. :o

I tried to buy an NES from a brick and mortar retailer in NYC (we were on a school trip and I figured it would be a fun way to dispose of the extra cash my parents gave me) ...but all I could find in the 5th avenue shops was the Sega Master System! I had to wait to get my NES Action Set from a discount department store in rural Pennsylvania instead.

• Like 1