IGNORED

Jaguar Gotcha!

KidGameR186496

Does seem rather random and out of the blue - hope it's not just someone out there trolling people and getting false hopes up.

The original message posted on the Jaguar group:

"Hi all, I made a couple of Jaguar games back in the day. Canon Fodder, and one that didn't get released Gotcha. Gotcha was very close to release though, and was a great game. I'd love to see it again, and I bet I have the ROM images on a hard drive in my garage somewhere. So, before I go to the effort of rummaging for it, is there a cartridge you guys use that can be downloaded to? Cheers."

I think its just that somebody pulling our leg. He said he also made Cannon Fodder. Pretty sure that was a late release and a port.

John Hare doesn't seem to remember him either :-

"JH:It was two of us, me and Chris, from 1985 up until… we took Martin Galway on about 1988 or 89. He’s the only other person that was ever a partner at Sensible Software. For about a year he came and went, then he went to the States. Then Chris Chapman started working with us in 1990 I think. And then David Korn, and Julian Jameson, and Stoo Cambridge who did Cannon Fodder – so we were six then. And we started working with Richard Joseph with the music and Mike Hammond did the football stuff, but they were offsite guys.

And it was only really in 1994/5 we signed a bigger deal with Warner Bros. for Sex ‘N’ Drugs ‘N’ Rock ‘N’ Roll and 3D Sensi Software, and then we suddenly got bigger. Then we went up to about 22 people. But all the stuff we’re famous for and all the stuff people liked was when we were a six-man team or less."

Taken from :- http://metro.co.uk/2012/10/23/jon-hare-sensible-software-interview-theres-only-one-person-thats-better-than-me-606298/

• Like 3

I have a hunch I know the name of the real person who made this claim. Hes probably having a huge JAG-Gasim over the whole thing. The profile has a fake name. His initials are LS. Funny stuff, I was suspicious all along. Its all very funny though lol

I am getting from a pretty reliable source that the developer is turning out to be legit.

We'll see.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jonathon Court is a respected coder here in the UK.

Probably best known for his work on Bob's Bad Day on the Amiga, which he discussed at some length to C.U Magazine and mentioned his work on Mega Drive Deliverance.

Currently Development Director at Creative Assembly.

His C.V has the likes of:

Spartan:Total Warrior, Viking Battle For Asgard, Halo Wars 1 and 2, Alien Isolation, Carmageddon (PS1), Bump 'n' Burn CD32, Tony Hawk 4 etc etc....

Would someone who's worked on such titles as these really need to fabricate a story about an unreleased game on the Jaguar?.

The Dome were mentioned as being responsible for Cannon Fodder conversion to The Jaguar in the UK Press also.

As for Sensible Software not knowing him: why should they?.

They were not directly involved in conversions of their titles to on other formats, Eurocom handling Sega:Game Gear and Master System versions of Sensible Soccer, Electronic Pencil Company handled ST/Amiga conversions of Microprose Soccer from the C64 etc.

Plus Mega Drive producer of Sensible Soccer, for Virgin, Peter Hickman, has spoken of how whilst Sensible had to approve each and every level of the conversion, before it could be submitted, it was his team handling the conversion.

Sensible themselves have spoken of how Amiga games were delayed due to them being bogged down over seeing conversions from Amiga to the Mega Drive, so it's pretty clear they would of had external teams handling conversions onto platforms like the Jaguar.

I know there have been so many B.S claims made over lost Jaguar titles, but i don't see that applies here.

From the original Facebook post (emphasis mine) "Hi all, I made a couple of Jaguar games back in the day. Canon Fodder, and one that didn't get released Gotcha."

By saying "I made" it implies he was the original coder/designer of the game and not the hired help just doing a conversion or HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) port of the game.

Sensible never coded Amiga/ST version of Wizball either, that was done by Peter Johnson (playability isn't quite upto C64 version, sadly)...

So it should not come as any real surprise to find other people/teams handled conversions of their titles on other platforms.

So, no, it's not a shock to find his name isn't listed in Jaguar Cannon Fodder ROM, quite a few coders, artists etc worked on titles, never got credited or paid, this is why you won't publically herar what happened to a lot of lost games, ST Myth for example.

Industry littered with people badly treated and have no desire to chat about 'The Good Old Days'.

Mr Court might well of badly worded his FB post, but that does not mean he is likely to fabricate a claim.

Which has more credibility..being involved with flagship titles like Alien Isolation, Halo Wars, Spartan:Total Warrior etc..or putting his name to an obscure Atari Jaguar update of a 1973 Atari Coin-Op?.

A Jaguar title which at best, recieved a mere snippet of a preview (4 screens and 5 lines of text) in UK Magazine, Ultimate Future Games.

Is he going to have to follow in Mike Diskett's footsteps, join here and prove a throwaway post is valid?.

No wonder information on canned Jaguar games is harder to come by these days, coders, etc do not want to waste time sharing information.

Look at the responses they get when they do.

• Like 4

Regarding this comment:

"Surprise! No mention of the guy claiming to be the programmer in the list of developer's names that you can find in the jag's Cannon Fodder ROM..."

Read it again, please...

it merely gives credit to the original Amiga design team (Sensible Software), then list's Virgin's conversion team, with Peter Hickman, who, as i stated earlier, was project manager for the Sega Mega Drive version, so he might well of been in charge of out sourcing the Jaguar version and, as long as Sensible were ok with the conversion of each level to the Jaguar, as they were with the Mega Drive version, they would of had no need to be aware of just who was handling what aspects of the Jag version.

As long as no changes were made to the very game they had designed, they could sign off on the conversion, stage by stage.

Hell Sega asked Peter's team to make a few changes to the Amiga original, to get past their censorship rules (few names changed regarding your troops)...Sensible themselves had the Poppy made more realistic on later conversions after the out cry from the Royal British Legion, cue the disclaimer text in that Jag ROM file...

And here's yet another conversion Sensible Soccer did not code themselves:Insects In Space on the Amiga.

All this is meaningless though asi believe Mr Court has read the attacks made on him on this forum and is far from happy.

Think he's going to come forward with any further info, let alone code, after this?...or any other UK coder who might of worked on an unreleased Jaguar project...?.