IGNORED

Avoid the Retro-Bit Generations plug-and-play console

goldenegg

I was looking forward to the Retro-Bit Generations system. On paper, it seemed like a great buy and something that would nicely accompany the NES Classic Edition. My Generations system arrived today and I'd have to caution anyone who's planning to get one.

There are 2 main issues with the system:

1 - The first is controller lag. There's definite lag on this system, although some games are better than others. Game Boy games seem to have the least lag, with SNES games having the most. It's pretty much the exact same lag the Retron5 has.

2 - The second issue is even worse than the lag. Arcade and SNES titles don't play at the proper speed. They either play too slow or too fast. You may ask "How could they play too fast?". It's likely that the hardware in the system can't keep up, so they have a high frameskip value for those specific emulators. It's pretty bad. Ghouls N' Ghosts is an example of a game which plays too slow, while Forgotten Worlds and Super R-Type are games which play way too fast.

There's also sound issues, but I think that's related to having a high frameskip.

It's really a shame Retro-Bit released this system in this shape. This is not how any of these games should be enjoyed.

Edited by goldenegg
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
Flojomojo, on 05 Dec 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

From the "damning with faint praise" department: Tiny Cartridge's review

That might be one of the best reviews I've ever seen! Not the whole thing though, If I'm being honest I didn't read it, ...Not because my attention span is truly smaller than a goldfish today, but because I'm busy and shouldn't even be using this time to post this comment...But those final (I'm assuming) 3 sentences....That sums a up a lot in a concise way. And I've felt that way before too. I generally get far more surrealistic or post modern on explaining my viewpoint and probably lose people unaccustomed to subtlety or middle ground...

Good Job Tiny Cartridge!

(And Good Job Flojomojo for quoting Tiny Cartridge!)

Also Good Job to those still reading tiny fine print at the bottom that is crossed out and half sized and God knows what else...You rock at life and found the Easter egg in my post, go get yourself a cold one...You've earned it!

;) ____________> ---> +1

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have watched numerous videos on this new emulation system and have only seen one bad review for it. Most of the reviews were positive. Was it possible that some of the systems are faulty? I'm sure that Retro-bit will correct the issue. I have faith in them. Their Super Retro Trio is an amazing clone system.

That's because most reviewers don't know what they're talking about and/or simply post what others post without actually digging into the product.

As far as correcting the issue, I'd be surprised. The attitude of the makers of this class of product is a once it's done it's done. Wait till the next product comes out - which is usually something different. Seen it happen with those flashbacks time and time again.

I have watched numerous videos on this new emulation system and have only seen one bad review for it. Most of the reviews were positive. Was it possible that some of the systems are faulty? I'm sure that Retro-bit will correct the issue. I have faith in them. Their Super Retro Trio is an amazing clone system.

I admit that I haven't been looking at YouTube for these videos, but all of the reviews that I've read and/or seen feedback from owners is that it's just as bad as the OP has indicated. In fact, the most positive reviews I've seen have acknowledged the numerous issues but admit to liking it because of the eclectic game selection. In other words, there appears to be no variation in units out there (although it appears that early units had a slightly different game mix). They're all bad.

I have the Retro-Bit Super Retro Trio and it has been the BEST clone system that I have ever owned. It plays flash carts, Super Gameboy and has a GBA adaptor that works. The videos I saw came from RGT 85 and John Riggs on YouTube. Riggs has a lot of videos were he fixes game carts and he does his own hacks. I think he's a guy who knows his shit.

• Like 3