IGNORED

Gamestop charging too much?

I went to see Almost Christmas today at 4:30pm. 30 minutes before that I went to gamestop walking distance right next door. They were out of mini nintendos and said they nintendo will have more through out the holidays. I still have an original nintendo and top loader. So I noticed they had some original Nintendo and Super Nintendo carts for sale. I noticed they had a mike tysons punchout for sale. I forgot to ask how much. But I just called to double check. He said 34 dollars and 99 cents. It used to be about 50 bucks back in the old days per game. So 15 more for a box and manual. I already have it on Virtual Console on wII. But I just wanted to try it on real hardware. Or with game genie. But WII will do for now. But anyhow considering Nintendo is 30 years old 35 is too much for a game is it not? It should not be so high. Even ebay nothing less than 20 dollars.

I mean it never used to be so much. Or is 35 ok for a loose cart? I mean few years ago on ebay I got Super Mario Brothers 1+2+3 for 30 bucks and Castlevania 1+2+3 for 30 bucks. I mean total so 10 each game. Now nothing less than 20 a piece.

Is it because the mini is out and because of retro nostalgia? Or has everyone just gone crazy?

Im not going to buy a Nintendo mini classic unless i walk into the store and get one for 60. :mad: :mad: :mad:

No gamestop near me sells anything older than Wii/ps3/360.

not sure on prices. but sounds like alot. I bet they gave the guy that sold it like 1.00. haha

• Like 1

So this just came into my mailbox and I'm like hmm I guess the person typed a question mark by accident, as in this should be a statement that Gamestop charges too much, and not a question.

The buy back and resale from Gamestop has always been a joke, they take the investment motto of "buy low, sell high" to a whole other level. And its always been that way, back to when they first started buying used games, systems etc.

I honestly don't know how people can sell to them and not even get the benefit of a reach around, if you'll pardon the expression.

When I heard they were going to start buying and selling "older" systems I just felt my sphincter tighten up as I knew they would never come in with decent pricing for the older games and systems.

Yes, its a business and I get that, but Gamestop has never really embraced their motto of "power to the players"...

I miss the old days of Electronics Boutique...

• Like 1

I miss FuncoLand. Remember that price catalog they always had?

Please, never say that name again: back in the day I sold my original Neo Geo Gold system to them, complete and mint in box with all accessories, and (I think) three more games.

A few years ago when I was cleaning out my stuff when my folks sold their house I found the original form with the prices of what I sold everything to them for.

It was like finding out my real dad was Hitler or something, it was that traumatic...

• Like 2

Please, never say that name again: back in the day I sold my original Neo Geo Gold system to them, complete and mint in box with all accessories, and (I think) three more games.

A few years ago when I was cleaning out my stuff when my folks sold their house I found the original form with the prices of what I sold everything to them for.

It was like finding out my real dad was Hitler or something, it was that traumatic...

How much did they give you for the system? And I went to gamestop many years ago and sold 4 gameboy color games for a quarter of what I paid for them and they were worth. I should of never.

I've come to believe that there is an actual organized effort to buy up Nintendo titles when they are offered below Pricecharting prices. The price increase is recent and it is too consistent to be blamed simply on a resurgence in popularity. There must be a small cartel of collectors who have 10s of thousands of copies of the most common NES (and SNES) games for them to hold their prices. The most common NES games (and Punch Out is one of them) are always waaaay too expensive.

Why would Gamestop want to drop the price? If anything, they might undercut the Pricecharting suggested price just slightly enough to make a sale, but not enough to attract the attention of the cartel (edit: Illuminati).

• Like 1

I am surprised you found any retro games in the actual store since they seem to mostly sell them on their online store or on eBay (under a different name). Maybe since they recently opened the retro initiative for all their stores that we will be seeing them more and more on the shelves. Not that I care because I would never buy anything from them since they over-price their crap.

Edited by thadsilverfox

I went to see Almost Christmas today at 4:30pm. 30 minutes before that I went to gamestop walking distance right next door. They were out of mini nintendos and said they nintendo will have more through out the holidays. I still have an original nintendo and top loader. So I noticed they had some original Nintendo and Super Nintendo carts for sale. I noticed they had a mike tysons punchout for sale. I forgot to ask how much. But I just called to double check. He said 34 dollars and 99 cents. It used to be about 50 bucks back in the old days per game. So 15 more for a box and manual. I already have it on Virtual Console on wII. But I just wanted to try it on real hardware. Or with game genie. But WII will do for now. But anyhow considering Nintendo is 30 years old 35 is too much for a game is it not? It should not be so high. Even ebay nothing less than 20 dollars.

I mean it never used to be so much. Or is 35 ok for a loose cart? I mean few years ago on ebay I got Super Mario Brothers 1+2+3 for 30 bucks and Castlevania 1+2+3 for 30 bucks. I mean total so 10 each game. Now nothing less than 20 a piece.

Is it because the mini is out and because of retro nostalgia? Or has everyone just gone crazy?

Speak English, please.

• Like 1

I am surprised you found any retro games in the actual store since they seem to mostly sell them on their online store or on eBay (under a different name). Maybe since they recently opened the retro initiative for all their stores that we will be seeing them more and more on the shelves. Not that I care because I would never buy anything from them since they over-price their crap.

I remember reading somewhere that some stores might have a limited selection on hand, but that is probably limited to a few select ones in a big city.

I don't know if that is a fair price for a Mike Tyson's Punch out or not. It's probably more rare than the Punch Out, but I don't know if it is that rare.

Punch out is a fun as hell game to play, Mike Tyson's Punchout is probably a bit more in demand. If I recall correctly they sell on Ebay for around $20-$30. $35 doesn't sound like a crazy price to me.

A Brick and Mortar has an unbelievable overhead and that price would probably be about right.