IGNORED

2017 Flashback FAQ and Speculation Thread

Per usual, you have to supply your own batteries.

Nice. Can't wait to pick one up in 20 years at Goodwill or a flea market, take it home, and proceed to clean out crusty battery acid with vinegar and an old toothbrush because someone left it on the shelf for 20+ years. Happens more often than you think. :lolblue:

• Like 1

Nice. Can't wait to pick one up in 20 years at Goodwill or a flea market, take it home, and proceed to clean out crusty battery acid with vinegar and an old toothbrush because someone left it on the shelf for 20+ years. Happens more often than you think. :lolblue:

Better not wait 20 years then! If you do, I'll refer back to this post and say "See? I told ya!" :lolblue:

• Like 2

A friend of mine is selling off his entire collection to go with a Pi solution. But in the stuff he has yet to move all his systems he bought krikzz everdrives and has one for the Sega Genesis/MD. Would that new HD version of the system out in a few months be able to use an everdrive?

A friend of mine is selling off his entire collection to go with a Pi solution. But in the stuff he has yet to move all his systems he bought krikzz everdrives and has one for the Sega Genesis/MD. Would that new HD version of the system out in a few months be able to use an everdrive?

Everdrive-wise we don't know yet.

It happens faster than that, too. My Wiimotes get like that. My C64-on-a-stick was like that. There are probably lots of other toys I forgot about that are like that. I need to take better care of my things, and maybe stop buying bargain IKEA batteries.

• Like 2

Everdrive-wise we don't know yet.

I'll text him and pass that along. It should personally I feel be based upon how the emulator within works. If it's setup to just read the cart entirely, sure it should work. But, if it's like the Retron5/RetroFreak device at best it will read the cart and it's personal boot file menu but it won't be able to fire up the game list let alone anything under there as it won't understand how. I can't see there being a middle on that one.

No. Almost positive it will be a game dumper like the Retron5 when using carts.

Unless Atgames created an FPGA Genesis solution and fabbed a custom ASIC out of it with HDMI capability. But I seriously doubt it. Emulation is the low road always...

It happens faster than that, too. My Wiimotes get like that. My C64-on-a-stick was like that. There are probably lots of other toys I forgot about that are like that. I need to take better care of my things, and maybe stop buying bargain IKEA batteries.

It doesn't stop when the batteries start to leak. Catch it after a week or two, almost no mess. But the leakage continues over a period of years. Catch it 20 years later, and you've got a crystal garden spreading turquoise crust across the device, discoloring the plastic and potentially hitting the electronics. And it's very hydroscopic. Humidity from the air (like in Louisiana, the bayou state) cause the crust to expand and sticky mess.

I found some C cell batteries in the closet with an expiry date of 2019, already leaky, still sealed in the package. My Atari joystick plug n play (Jakks Pacific) had AA batteries in it with a 2009 expiry date. They still holding charge and runs when I turn it on. I never replaced them as it still worked when I brought it home from the store. Bad idea but I don't replace em until they are dead. Both were Duracells I believe. Now I just buy bulk Rayovak Alkalines from the hardware store every couple years and use them as needed. Half the cost of Energizer/Duracell, cheaper in bulk, but not of questionable origin like those things with Chinese or Korean print on them.

Cleaning out battery crust is not fun though. We have a universal remote and I needed the original BluRay for some specific function that wasn't assigned on the universal. I tried to turn on the Bluray, nothing. Opened the battery door.

"Crusty..." Cues up Mortal Kombat guy. :P

Thanks for reminding me about the battery-leaking issue...I have to check on some stuff I haven't used in a while.

I've always wondered -- is this leakage dangerous? Is it toxic, and can one breathe the dust in?

Keep it out of your eyes.

https://www.quora.com/Is-this-alkaline-battery-leak-dangerous

I don't think it would be something you'd breath in, but I wouldn't want that in my nose/lungs.

This is probably why toys now require the battery pack to be screwed shut.

• Like 1

Thanks for reminding me about the battery-leaking issue...I have to check on some stuff I haven't used in a while.

I've always wondered -- is this leakage dangerous? Is it toxic, and can one breathe the dust in?

Distilled vinegar (dilute acetic acid) will safely neutralize the corrosion (technically if they are alkaline batteries it is alkali not acid despite people call it that) while itself being a weak organic acid, will not attack the metals in the battery contacts. Use a capfull at a time and wet a paper towel or drip it on the corrosion if severe. If you get corrosion on your fingers I suggest washing your hands immediately as it is corrosive and may cause irritation. Gloves are advisable but I generally don't wear them. Basically you will see the white or turquoise colored crystals start to bubble and dissolve with contact with the vinigar. Scrub with an old toothbrush and wipe up excess remains with paper towels. The corrosion will flake off of the battery terminals with vinegar treatment and after you dry it off. Excess vinegar dries leaving no residue so it shouldn't harm the electronics though it is best to keep it confined to the corrosion areas. Do not operate while wet! You may find discoloration of plastics, especially the gray metallic powder coated Lynx plastic is especially susceptible. Once cleaned, most battery bay contacts work again and the device starts right up. Lap with sandpaper if necessary.

• Like 1

Yes, pre-orders will be open on the 28th. I'm getting my final retail units of the HD hardware on the 21st and will be able to post my impressions on the 28th. I can tell you right now that there was only one outstanding issue that I'll be keeping an eye on with the final hardware, and that's potential HD lag. If that's been ironed out, then these should be no-brainers if you're in the market for products like this.

• Like 3

Yes, pre-orders will be open on the 28th. I'm getting my final retail units of the HD hardware on the 21st and will be able to post my impressions on the 28th. I can tell you right now that there was only one outstanding issue that I'll be keeping an eye on with the final hardware, and that's potential HD lag. If that's been ironed out, then these should be no-brainers if you're in the market for products like this.

If there is bad lag on the HD consoles, they should delay/cancel the release. The media will (rightfully so) criticize the units so heavily, that it will just be an embarrassment.

If there is bad lag on the HD consoles, they should delay/cancel the release. The media will (rightfully so) criticize the units so heavily, that it will just be an embarrassment.

I'm not anticipating there being an issue, more stating that that was the only prior issue that still needed to be addressed. Everything else was pretty well nailed already. I'll of course see soon enough if that or any other unexpected issues are actually present.

• Like 1

I posted the official final game lists for all of the 2017 AtGames products on Armchair Arcade: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/

The only one missing is the Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition Console because we're still waiting on confirmation on one of the titles.

• Like 3

I was curious how the game list compared, so went through and compared everything.

Shared across Classic, Portable, and Gold editions:

-Adventure

-Adventure II
-Air Raiders ™
-Aquaventure
-Asteroids
-Astroblast ™
-Atari Climber
-Black Jack
-Bowling
-Breakout
-Centipede
-Chase It
-Circus Atari
-Crystal Castles
-Dark Cavern ™ (Night Stalker)
-Demons to Diamonds
-Desert Falcon
-Dodge ‘Em
-Double Dunk
-Fatal Run
-Frog Pond
-Frogger
-Frogs and Flies
-Fun with Numbers
-Golf
-Gravitar
-Hangman
-Haunted House
-Human Cannonball
-Kaboom!
-Millipede
-Miniature Golf
-Miss It
-Missile Command
-Night Driver
-Pitfall!
-Pong (Video Olympics)
-Pressure Cooker
-Radar Lock
-Realsports Baseball
-Return to Haunted House
-River Raid
-Saboteur
-Save Mary
-Secret Quest
-Shield Shifter
-Slot Machine
-Solaris
-Star Ship
-Star Strike™
-Stellar Track
-Submarine Commander
-Super Breakout
-Swordquest: Earthworld
-Swordquest: Fireworld
-Swordquest: Waterworld
-Tempest
-Video Checkers
-Video Chess
-Video Pinball
-Wizard
-Yars’ Return
-Yars’ Revenge

Shared between Classic and Gold editions:
-3D Tic-Tac-Toe
-Air Sea Battle
-Armor Ambush
-Backgammon
-Basketball
-Canyon Bomber
-Championship Soccer
-Combat
-Combat Two
-Escape It
-Flag Capture
-Football
-Front Line
-H.E.R.O.
-Home Run
-Indy 500
-International Soccer
-Jungle Hunt
-Maze Craze
-MotoRodeo
-Off-the-Wall
-Outlaw
-Polaris
-Realsports Basketball
-Realsports Soccer
-Realsports Volleyball
-Sea Battle
-Sky Diver
-Slot Racers
-Space Invaders
-Space War
-Sprintmaster
-Steeplechase
-Street Racer
-Super Baseball
-Super Challenge ™ Baseball (Major League Baseball)
-Super Football
-Surround
-Sword Fight
-Warlords
Shared between Portable and Gold editions:
-Stampede ( I believe this is the only Activision title on the handheld?)
Shared between Classic and Portable editions:
-Nothing

Exclusive to Portable edition:

-Dig Dug

-Galaxian
-Pac-Man (4K version)
-Strip Off
-Xevious
Exclusive to Classic edition:
-Nothing
Exclusive to Gold edition:
-Beamrider
-Chopper Command
-Cosmic Commuter
-Crackpots
-Decathlon
-Dragster
-Enduro
-Fishing Derby
-Frostbite
-Keystone Kapers
-Megamania
-Oink!
-Seaquest
-Starmaster
That brings us to 120 games for the regular Gold edition (And 105 for the Classic and 70 for the Portable). Listed below are where the additional 10 games for the Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition will likely be drawn from. It's publicized to have 10 more games in total than the regular Gold Edition, including 39 Activision titles in total. These 19 titles were in the earlier list that Bill put up a few weeks back, that aren't in this latest release.
-Barnstorming
-Boxing
-Bridge
-Checkers
-Dan Kitchen's Tomcat (Tomcat: The F-14 Fighter Simulator; An Absolute Entertainment release)
-Dolphin
-Freeway
-Grand Prix
-Ice Hockey
-Laser Blast
-Plaque Attack
-Private Eye
-River Raid II
-Robot Tank
-Skiing
-Sky Jinks
-Space Shuttle
-Spider Fighter
-Tennis
Presumably 10 of these will still make the cut to bring us to 130 games I don't think they're going to get anywhere close to 39 Activision titles though. Assuming they stick to 130 games and this retains all 120 games from the regular Gold Edition (Which includes 20 Activision games), we're looking at 30 Activision games here rather than the 39 advertised on the AtGames site.
And lastly, here's what's missing from any version of this year's lineup, that appeared in earlier Atari Flashbacks since the Atari Flashback 2:

-Arcade Asteroids (FB2, FB2+)

-Arcade Pong (FB2, FB2+)

-Asteroids Deluxe (FB2, FB2+)
-Battlezone (FB2, FB2+, FB3, FB4, FB64)

-Caverns of Mars (FB2)

-GCC Millipede (FB2; First revision of the Flashback 2, as I recall?)

-Lunar Lander (FB2, FB2+)

-Quadrun (FB2, FB2+)

-Space Duel (FB2, FB2+)

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

I posted the official final game lists for all of the 2017 AtGames products on Armchair Arcade: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/

The only one missing is the Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition Console because we're still waiting on confirmation on one of the titles.

Gold Activision still including paddles?

• Like 1

Gold Activision still including paddles?

Not at most retailers. I believe only one retailer will have the paddles and another bonus when it goes up for pre-order (no worries, this one has stores and a good online presence). I don't want to scoop the official announcement, though.

• Like 6

I was curious how the game list compared, so went through and compared everything.

Shared across Classic, Portable, and Gold editions:

-Adventure

-Adventure II
-Air Raiders ™
-Aquaventure
-Asteroids
-Astroblast ™
-Atari Climber
-Black Jack
-Bowling
-Breakout
-Centipede
-Chase It
-Circus Atari
-Crystal Castles
-Dark Cavern ™ (Night Stalker)
-Demons to Diamonds
-Desert Falcon
-Dodge ‘Em
-Double Dunk
-Fatal Run
-Frog Pond
-Frogger
-Frogs and Flies
-Fun with Numbers
-Golf
-Gravitar
-Hangman
-Haunted House
-Human Cannonball
-Kaboom!
-Millipede
-Miniature Golf
-Miss It
-Missile Command
-Night Driver
-Pitfall!
-Pong (Video Olympics)
-Pressure Cooker
-Radar Lock
-Realsports Baseball
-Return to Haunted House
-River Raid
-Saboteur
-Save Mary
-Secret Quest
-Shield Shifter
-Slot Machine
-Solaris
-Star Ship
-Star Strike™
-Stellar Track
-Submarine Commander
-Super Breakout
-Swordquest: Earthworld
-Swordquest: Fireworld
-Swordquest: Waterworld
-Tempest
-Video Checkers
-Video Chess
-Video Pinball
-Wizard
-Yars’ Return
-Yars’ Revenge
Exclusive to Gold edition:
-Beamrider
-Chopper Command
-Cosmic Commuter
-Crackpots
-Decathlon
-Dragster
-Enduro
-Fishing Derby
-Frostbite
-Keystone Kapers
-Megamania
-Oink!
-Seaquest
-Starmaster
And lastly, here's what's missing from any version of this year's lineup, that appeared in earlier Atari Flashbacks since the Atari Flashback 2:

-Arcade Asteroids (FB2, FB2+)

-Arcade Pong (FB2, FB2+)

-Asteroids Deluxe (FB2, FB2+)

-Battlezone (FB2, FB2+, FB3, FB4, FB64)

-Caverns of Mars (FB2)

-GCC Millipede (FB2; First revision of the Flashback 2, as I recall?)

-Lunar Lander (FB2, FB2+)

-Quadrun (FB2, FB2+)

-Space Duel (FB2, FB2+)

I'd give up Pitfall! for Lunar Lander, but that's just me. :)

Not at most retailers. I believe only one retailer will have the paddles and another bonus when it goes up for pre-order (no worries, this one has stores and a good online presence). I don't want to scoop the official announcement, though.

Dollar General? One on every corner in my old stomping grounds! :grin: