IGNORED

2017 Flashback FAQ and Speculation Thread

The best non-NEC option right now is the Retro Freak. It does a great job with TG-16/PC Engine/SuperGrafx stuff. Of course, it doesn't support any of the CD stuff.

I currently have all my retro TG-16 needs covered, but do dream of a new updated console more than every once in a while :) How awesome it would be to play an updated Neutopia, Cadash, and other great current ports on a console I have been a huge fan of since my first one in 1992 :) !!!!!

I did look at the Retro Freak, and have to admit it is very nice looking.

• Like 2

So it means someone at Activision have an idea how their old Atari 2600 games used to play so they can verify that the Flashback are up to standards? :-) That is nice to hear, I thought their legacy only went as far as making sure to get financially compensated by anyone asking to license their games and intellectual properties.

• Like 3

So it means someone at Activision have an idea how their old Atari 2600 games used to play so they can verify that the Flashback are up to standards? :-) That is nice to hear, I thought their legacy only went as far as making sure to get financially compensated by anyone asking to license their games and intellectual properties.

And not updating their mobile ports.

• 3 weeks later...

Any news/updates on the Atari or Sega HD units?

Yep, in the various other threads related to this on here. The review embargo for the revised units should be lifted October 13. Consumer units should be shipping out around then, give or take. The Activision version of the Atari HD is still going to be some time in November.

The HD units have been successfully revamped and tweaked for much better performance and usability, so the new reviews should be quite positive.

• Like 3

There isn't going to be an SD card slot on the AtGames TV consoles, just the portables. The Sega one has a cartridge slot.

For those that want stuff like that (SD card and cartridge slots), they can always wait for next year. There's a chance that will be included (and a chance that it won't, of course).

• Like 3

Bill, you're such a tease. Maybe they will, maybe they won't ... in the meantime, their Sega and Atari handhelds have SD slots and TV out RIGHT NOW, and a person can run ROMs on computers and stuff.

Absolutely. There are an embarrassment of both legal and not-so-legal ways to play just about anything. And if you think that's a tease, wait until you see some of the new AtGames products for 2018 with some of their new partners.

• Like 7

Exidy Flashback!

Cinematronics Portable?

I like the way you guys are thinking! The ultimate dream device for me is one that will play dozens of classic arcade games from multiple vendors using ball top joysticks and arcade buttons. We really haven't seen anything quite like that yet. This Jakks plug and play got pretty close to what I'm thinking of, but of course only played Namco games:

post-2092-0-15322800-1506604613.jpg

• Like 3

I like the way you guys are thinking! The ultimate dream device for me is one that will play dozens of classic arcade games from multiple vendors using ball top joysticks and arcade buttons. We really haven't seen anything quite like that yet. This Jakks plug and play got pretty close to what I'm thinking of, but of course only played Namco games:

These are everywhere, though obviously not legal, and obviously not all-inclusive: https://www.ebay.com/i/182673778270?chn=ps&dispItem=1 I admit to being tempted.

These are everywhere, though obviously not legal, and obviously not all-inclusive: https://www.ebay.com/i/182673778270?chn=ps&dispItem=1 I admit to being tempted.

Call me crazy, but I'd really like to see a legal version of this kind of device. Something you could gift to friends and relatives with a clear conscience. All of us know people who'd love to revisit the classic arcade games but don't want to go through the trouble of building something themselves and/or using illegal ROMS. I know it's a royal pain to get the rights holders to get on board with this kind of thing, but clearly AtGames has done a lot of work on this kind of thing already, having gotten Atari, Activision, Namco, Taito, Sega, and Konami to agree to have their games on these Flashbacks. Just hoping that they'll take the next step from home games to the classic arcade games.

AtGames might be exploring arcade sticks and related plug and play hardware in the coming year. I'll say no more.

YES!!! :-D Fantastic news!

• Like 1

AtGames might be exploring arcade sticks and related plug and play hardware in the coming year. I'll say no more.

Something with innovative controls -- stuff that is inconvenient or impractical in MAME -- would be neat to have. Trackballs, flight yokes, driving wheels.

There was a Jakks Pacific plug and play for Star Wars (prequels) that looked like a motion controlled flight yoke. I would love love love something like that but with classic trilogy games, even if only for the old Atari arcade games.

• Like 3

Something with innovative controls -- stuff that is inconvenient or impractical in MAME -- would be neat to have. Trackballs, flight yokes, driving wheels.

There was a Jakks Pacific plug and play for Star Wars (prequels) that looked like a motion controlled flight yoke. I would love love love something like that but with classic trilogy games, even if only for the old Atari arcade games.

I agree. Trackball and spinner would be top of list for me as well. Unfortunately for that vision, it will most likely be traditional arcade controls to start (joystick, buttons).

• Like 4

Flojomojo: When you said Exidy, were you thinking about remakes of the arcade games or any possible games library for the Sorcerer? I'll admit I was thinking about the latter, but as I can't name a single game for it, that make me laugh out loud. If you were thinking of another part of the Exidy IP, it might not be quite as bizarre as it first would appear.