IGNORED

AtariProtos.com Updates

Tempest

• 2 months later...

Interesting theory. But much like the Razzmatazz theory the game play isn't really the same since these are all 'shoot the target to keep it from going off screen' type of games. I'm thinking this is an original concept rather than an arcade game. If it IS an arcade game then it's most likely something from Sega or even Sega/Gremlin.

For the record, the "bear game" is a confirmed Sega prototype and the programmer confirmed that it was (loosely) based on the unreleased Razzmatazz coin-op. I know I've posted about this at least once before.

Do you know the programmer's name at all?

Fred Mack was the designer and programmer of that prototype, which was never finished. While at Sega, he also coded the A8 version of Ixion, which was (mostly) completed. He also developed a tool called the "Sega Key" and various other tricks which were used by other programmers in the games they were working on.

Thanks, I'll update my page.

I need to review that Ixion proto for the 8-bit (did the 2600 one a while back).

I know there's a U.S. Gold version from Europe floating around, but has an actual Sega prototype been found? The programmer does have copies of his work, and I've been trying to convince him to release them.

By the way, the bear game was worked on some time in 1983 (you currently have the year as "unknown").

Feel free to start writing something up. The rom is available. I'm not sure how complete the game is though.

It's not 100% but most of the features are there, the way Aric described it it seems like mostly what's missing is balancing. He's around and happy to talk about it: http://www.wilmunder.com/Arics_World/Games.html