IGNORED

Wii U ceasing production

toptenmaterial

The Vita is still getting games though.

Do you blame Nintendo though? The Wii-U never had any traction no matter what Nintendo did. They could keep pouring money into it for the few die hard fans or move on. Once it got that 'dead system' reputation it was all over.

Nah, this is exactly like the whole Twilight Princess thing all over again. First it was a final GC title then it became a joint GC/Wii release (actually I think the Wii version got released a smidgen earlier, or I might have that backwards). I'm not getting a Switch (I don't do the whole mobile gaming thing) so this will be my final Nintendo game purchase.

There have been rumors that the Wii U version might get canned so as to increase the sales of the Switch, and I have read that the game is not performing well on Wii U hardware. I take all of that with a grain of salt.

As to Nintendo putting to rest a dead system, there are signs that things might not be all that much better for the Switch. Is the rumor that Nintendo will only launch 1-2 million units true? It looks like the initial line up might be a re-release of first party Wii U titles, and 3rd party games that were already released on other systems. One new Zelda title is not going to be enough for me; I already have enough to catch up on.

Then again.. for those that were fans of Mario Cart 64, that was just released (Wonder how long the VC will remain open for the Wii U?)

There have been rumors that the Wii U version might get canned so as to increase the sales of the Switch, and I have read that the game is not performing well on Wii U hardware. I take all of that with a grain of salt.

As to Nintendo putting to rest a dead system, there are signs that things might not be all that much better for the Switch. Is the rumor that Nintendo will only launch 1-2 million units true? It looks like the initial line up might be a re-release of first party Wii U titles, and 3rd party games that were already released on other systems. One new Zelda title is not going to be enough for me; I already have enough to catch up on.

Then again.. for those that were fans of Mario Cart 64, that was just released (Wonder how long the VC will remain open for the Wii U?)

Based on what I have read I cannot understand why Nintendo would pull all remaining stock of the Wii U console if it's actually true. The consoles literally disappeared almost overnight. Could just be there was not much left on the shelves.

You bring up a a good talking point though about performance. If the new Zelda really is not performing well on the Wii U then what's all this talk about the Switch performance getting nerfed by 40% when it is not hooked up to its base? I can't imagine the new Zelda performing well even on the Switch if the performance is reduced that much. So if it runs well on a Switch running on battery I would imagine it could be made to run well on the Wii U as well. Rumors everywhere I know, but it would be a nice ending song for the Wii U to get the new Zelda for sure.

Then there's all this FCC submission talk about the battery not being removable in the Switch unlike the Wii U gamepad, but that's another day I suppose.

Edited by LiqMat

The Wii U I think will very much be the Dreamcast of this generation.

Some things about it hobbled it though, price being the big one. It's was bloody expensive and adding bits that meant you could play everything on it, just racked that price up even more (big battery for the controller, pro controller, Wii controller + nunchuck + classic). BUT the quality of the games on it, despite there not being that many of them, was very high. I don't even think the lack of 3rd party material was too hard on it given I've got a fair old few games for it, and they're ALL good. Plus it opened up the Wii to me, a console I'd never bothered with because I assumed it was all Wii Play and Dance bollocks. How wrong I was on that one!

Nintendo are doing their very best to kill it though. Zelda is done and was due for release for Xmas I believe. Them not releasing it means they probably won't at all and will write that one off. Something that will annoy me greatly as I've been waiting for that bloody game since it was announced. Not getting it out for Xmas guarantees it'll sell bugger all. Which to me makes me think it'll get pulled.

Shame, like the DC, it's my favourite console of the generation. So much potential, just thrown away... :(

The Wii U I think will very much be the Dreamcast of this generation.

Some things about it hobbled it though, price being the big one. It's was bloody expensive and adding bits that meant you could play everything on it, just racked that price up even more (big battery for the controller, pro controller, Wii controller + nunchuck + classic). BUT the quality of the games on it, despite there not being that many of them, was very high. I don't even think the lack of 3rd party material was too hard on it given I've got a fair old few games for it, and they're ALL good. Plus it opened up the Wii to me, a console I'd never bothered with because I assumed it was all Wii Play and Dance bollocks. How wrong I was on that one!

Nintendo are doing their very best to kill it though. Zelda is done and was due for release for Xmas I believe. Them not releasing it means they probably won't at all and will write that one off. Something that will annoy me greatly as I've been waiting for that bloody game since it was announced. Not getting it out for Xmas guarantees it'll sell bugger all. Which to me makes me think it'll get pulled.

Shame, like the DC, it's my favourite console of the generation. So much potential, just thrown away... :(

I just don't see it. While I know, like any system, it has its hardcore fans, I just don't see the same passion from core gamers that I saw for the Dreamcast, which was also helped, among other things, by its relatively easy capability to run burned games, by being canceled when it still had some life left in it (unlike the Wii U), and by being the last hardware Sega put out. Add all that to the fact that we'll no doubt see most of the Wii U's best games on the Switch (not to mention all the 3DS versions), I just don't see much to rally around in the future with the Wii U.

I also never heard about Zelda coming out for the holidays. I'm pretty sure it was almost always targeted as a simultaneous release with the Switch, some time in March, or shortly thereafter. There ARE rumors that Nintendo won't even bother with the Wii U version's release, but I suspect they'll at least release a limited amount of copies (say 500k to 1mm; not too many to cut into potential Switch sales) to keep true to their word that it will be a proper send off for the system. Who knows, though?

• Like 1

It costs a lot of money to bring out a mainstream game console. If it's not a hit, there's no more potential there. They're dropping their sunk costs and moving on, it's easy enough to understand why. I liked it too, just like I enjoyed the Dreamcast, but if there aren't enough of us, no more console. Sad face.

I also never heard about Zelda coming out for the holidays. I'm pretty sure it was almost always targeted as a simultaneous release with the Switch, some time in March, or shortly thereafter. There ARE rumors that Nintendo won't even bother with the Wii U version's release, but I suspect they'll at least release a limited amount of copies (say 500k to 1mm; not too many to cut into potential Switch sales) to keep true to their word that it will be a proper send off for the system. Who knows, though?

I wouldn't be surprised if Zelda Breath of the Wild were finished, Nintendo always holds things back and staggers releases for maximum sales benefits. I know it's been ten years, but I would assume they'd do something similar to what they did with Twilight Princess: release simultaneously on the last generation and new hardware. I would think that if they do a Wii U release, they'd also have it in the eShop. Those of us who like to play, and not just collect, would appreciate having it without having to deal with retail shortages.

• Like 1

Guest LiqMat

I just don't see it. While I know, like any system, it has its hardcore fans, I just don't see the same passion from core gamers that I saw for the Dreamcast, which was also helped, among other things, by its relatively easy capability to run burned games, by being canceled when it still had some life left in it (unlike the Wii U), and by being the last hardware Sega put out. Add all that to the fact that we'll no doubt see most of the Wii U's best games on the Switch (not to mention all the 3DS versions), I just don't see much to rally around in the future with the Wii U.

The Dreamcast is a hard one to compare it to in the first place. Sega was fairly lax on what the homebrew/hackers/modders did with the system especially after its cancellation. It was/is one of the MOST versatile consoles ever made IMO and I kick myself when I think back hundreds of them new-in-box were sitting at my local Best Buy's floor years ago selling for $50 a pop clearance. I think I'm mental. lol

Edited by LiqMat

The Dreamcast is a hard one to compare it to in the first place. Sega was fairly lax on what the homebrew/hackers/modders did with the system especially after its cancellation. It was/is one of the MOST versatile consoles ever made IMO and I kick myself when I think back hundreds of them new-in-box were sitting at my local Best Buy's floor selling for $50 a pop clearance. I think I'm mental. lol

I have a similar feeling as a kid with the Vectrex, when that hit $50 at Toys R Us. There were other systems that I passed up on when they were on clearance, but nothing as dramatic as that (of course I've since gotten several Vectrex units, but nowhere near that value, and certainly not NIB).

Guest LiqMat

I have a similar feeling as a kid with the Vectrex, when that hit $50 at Toys R Us. There were other systems that I passed up on when they were on clearance, but nothing as dramatic as that (of course I've since gotten several Vectrex units, but nowhere near that value, and certainly not NIB).

Yeah that was 2002 or 2003, but I have since recovered through serious amounts of counseling. lol