IGNORED

New Hardware Offering: 1200XL Cartridge port extension

Dropcheck

Several weeks ago, maybe a month or two back there was a thread about the 1200XL cartridge port and the problems some were facing with some cartridges not fitting. At that time I purposed a simple extension pcb that would hopefully correct that problem. Well it worked, but..... if you tried to use it without support it put a lot of strain on the internal cartridge port. After modifying a 3d cartridge case design I had already started working on, I think I have addressed that weakness. So here's the offer:

It consists of two parts. One is hardware and the other is a 3d printable file for the cartridge case that is designed especially for this pcb.

DSC_2283.jpg

DSC_2182.jpg

The 3d printer files should produce a case like this. Your 3d printer, slicer settings and filament quality will directly affect the quality of this print. One major difference is that I am trying to add a horizontal brace in the form of a pcb hook like in the grey Atari XE cases. In the finished version no lower pin and hole vertical brace will be needed. The 3d model file will be available for download at shipping time of the pcbs to customers.

DSC_2258.jpg

DSC_2259.jpg

DSC_2260.jpg

I will be partnering with tf_hh in the production of the pcb for EU customers. This means cheaper shipping costs for those in the EU. I'm going to give Santos a break again this time. He's next up in 2017. :)

Okay for the details:

Cost per pcb: $15.00

Shipping for domestic flat rate will be $8.00 for a max of three pcbs.per order

Shipping for EU orders will also be $8.00 for a max of three pcbs per order

Timeline:

Ordering will go live Cyber Monday and last for two weeks.

Parts and board ordering and receipt will take up to three weeks.

Assembly and shipping should be done by Jan 20th or sooner.

As per previous offers ABBUC members will recieve a 10% discount. You must note on the order before submitting your membership #.

You may show your support or non support in this thread, but ordering will be done on my website. :)

• Like 5

Could you post a picture with the extender and the cartridge shell visible (assembled)? Extender is quite similar to the breakout board that you offered? and the cart shell slips over the end to support the extender and provide the "pins" to open the trap door on the brown Atari carts?

Presume that in lieu of the DIY cart shell, there is no reason that right-angle extender can't be used (with proper support)?

-Larry

Could you post a picture with the extender and the cartridge shell visible (assembled)? Extender is quite similar to the breakout board that you offered? and the cart shell slips over the end to support the extender and provide the "pins" to open the trap door on the brown Atari carts?

Presume that in lieu of the DIY cart shell, there is no reason that right-angle extender can't be used (with proper support)?

-Larry

I don't have a finished printed case yet and the pcb will not fit the one pictured above. So unfortuanately I can not provide a fitted pcb/case picture yet. :(

The Dual Right Angle cart expansion pcb should insert into this cartridge port extension board bare as well as with the 3d printed case enclosure. :)

Is there a reason it's so long?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSC_2182.jpg

Can you make it so the green PCB does now show when it's installed? It looks like it's too long.

You mean you don't like the cart extending outside the case? ;-)

While I can shorten it some, the point was to allow the Polish cartridges to be inserted without having to shave them down. Also I like to be able to see where to insert the cart. Once the socket disappears inside the funnel, it becomes more of a feelly thing to get a cart inserted. :( But I see if you use the 3d printer file to make a cartridge case it does extend the length a bit more.

I can shave about 5-10 mm off the length. :)

Edited by Dropcheck

Update:

Near mid-order window.

4 of 20 have been sold

1 in the US

3 in the EU

Good morning, Dropcheck!

I just finished placing my order, although I was limited by the cart from ordering more than 3 of the extensions.

Thank you, in advance, for all your work and diligence!

--Tim

Just here to show support (will order 1) :). I have 2 x 1200XLs, and waiting for the right 'mood' to figure out why they're not working flawlessly, and the tightness of the cart port really surprised me.. thanks for making these!

And another good use for the homebuilt 3D printer :)

Edited by Xebec

• 4 weeks later...

Final update:

Board is done. Final shipment should begin this Monday.

3d printer files for the case should be available from my website later on today for those with 3d printers. Your mileage may vary depending on the quality of your printer/slicer program. Definitely I recommend Simplyfy3d for it's flexible support capability if it supports your printer. It's not free, but if you do a lot of printing, it will pay for itself fairly quickly.

I believe this board is functionally the same as DC's breakout board. So I tested the breakout board with a 1200xl and my old ICD XE cart expander, which gives the added advantage of making cart insertion vertical. Worked fine with several carts I tried. Just need to add support to where the two pieces join.