IGNORED

New Hardware Offering: Dual Right Angle XL/XE Cart Expansion

Dropcheck

I really like this concept being a 130XE owner and had issues with cartridges loosing connection being horizontal. Tramiel made the Atari 8-bit like a VIC-20 or Commodore 64. My Basic XE cartridge has rubber feet on it to keep is connection steady. I assume you cannot use two cartridges at the same time because there would be tons on problems with mapping and trying to set up bank switching between two cartridges. I know there are many different bank switching schemes to the D5xx area.

No..... The closest that this comes is that you can insert a SpartaDOSX original /Super SDX cart in one slot and stack a piggyback cart on top. Depending on the ability of the piggyback cart you can drop into SpartaDOS and then Cart back from it.

It would get more complicated and cost more. I'm trying to keep this simple and cheap. :)

It would be nice though. ;-)

The TurboFreezer 2011 emulates stacking carts. The freezer has flashable ROM. I have SDX on page 64 in The Freezer. The Freezer mimics the SDX cart and since there is a free cart port while using the Freezer I can add Mac/65 as physical cart to that cart port. Even cooler is that the Freezer even can have BOTH roms in flash and run them together like a stacked cart situation. There is 1Megabyte of Flash rom (128 pages, where the last 8 pages are for Freezer firmware). So you can have a lot of stuff packed.

It would have been cool with a pcb, but I guess I don't need it at all then.

• Like 1

Some carts have a RESET key, some not.

Would it be possible to integrate a RESET functionality to the cart expansion board?

Unfortunately there´s no way to realize that in a safe way. The only way working with all carts is power-cycling, but this could have side-effects I don´t want to be liable for. The cartridge connector doesn´t have a RESET signal nor any other signal which may be used for a defined RESET. Of course something like a protocol-driven access could be perform a RESET, but using this way all carts must support this.

Independent from Lenore´s fine work I suggest a different way. I patched the standard XL OS (rev.2) in such way, that holding down SELECT performs a coldstart. When holding down OPTION, not only BASIC is disabled, additional a

LDA #0

STA $D500

is performed. This enables (if disabled) and set bank 0 from nearly all switchable carts and works fine for the AtariMax and similar - not depending if the cart is addressline or dataline driven (in bankwitching).

Such a patched OS should work fine. I never published that, because it´s only a silly simple patch. Most users like to use the Hias´ Highspeed-SIO patch, this one enables cold-start with holding SHIFT. Maybe I can convince Hias to add this little feature in his HS-patch.

Jurgen

Edited by tf_hh
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Final update:

Boards are done and tested. Final shipment should go out this Monday.

3D printer files for the case should be posted on my website later today. I ran into a major jam on my printer, so I could not test the final design. It is as close as I can approximate, but might need some tweaking still. I hope I can get the printer back up and running in a few days, but if not I am going to have to depend on those who can print the case and test it with their board to see if any additional modifications need to be done.

Edited by Dropcheck

Final update:

Boards are done and tested. Final shipment should go out this Monday.

3D printer files for the case should be posted on my website later today. I ran into a major jam on my printer, so I could not test the final design. It is as close as I can approximate, but might need some tweaking still. I hope I can get the printer back up and running in a few days, but if not I am going to have to depend on those who can print the case and test it with their board to see if any additional modifications need to be done.

Hi Lenore

have these gone out to UK?

only ask as my 1200XL cart extender arrived last Wednesday, but no sign of Dual Right Angle XL/XE Cart Expansion.

are they going out under separate shipments?

thanks

Independent from Lenore´s fine work I suggest a different way. I patched the standard XL OS (rev.2) in such way, that holding down SELECT performs a coldstart. When holding down OPTION, not only BASIC is disabled, additional a

LDA #0

STA $D500

is performed. This enables (if disabled) and set bank 0 from nearly all switchable carts and works fine for the AtariMax and similar - not depending if the cart is addressline or dataline driven (in bankwitching).

Such a patched OS should work fine. I never published that, because it´s only a silly simple patch. Most users like to use the Hias´ Highspeed-SIO patch, this one enables cold-start with holding SHIFT. Maybe I can convince Hias to add this little feature in his HS-patch.

Jurgen

Selecting bank 0 for Atarimax and executing a coldstart does the job!

I have patched my OS yesterday for testing and will add it for the SIO2BT OS patch.

Unfortunately I realized that you placed the switch on the bottom side of the board (and not at the top side, as on the pictures from Lenore).

As a result when I move the switch towards the cart I want to use, the opposite cart is selected :(

Is there any way to change it with the software in the chip?

• 2 months later...

Hey Dragon,

I am developing a cross platform online game for 8 bit computers: C64, Atari, Apple II (http://8bit-slicks.com).

It would really be helpful for debugging if I could connect both my Side2 and DragonCart.
Will your new SDX cart expander be able to connect both simultaneously?

Are there any other existing solution?

Cheers,
Tony

• Like 1

Hey Dragon,

I am developing a cross platform online game for 8 bit computers: C64, Atari, Apple II (http://8bit-slicks.com).

It would really be helpful for debugging if I could connect both my Side2 and DragonCart.

Will your new SDX cart expander be able to connect both simultaneously?

Are there any other existing solution?

Cheers,

Tony

Hi,

First of all it's not an SDX cart expander. ;-)

You can put an SDX cartridge in either slot, but it does not contain the SDX software or circuitry. It's main purpose is to help reduce the desk space needed in back of the 130XE. Someone was unhappy with the length taken up with an SDX cartridge with a piggyback cartridge on top when it was inserted into a 130XE. So I basically added a RA aspect, ie now the carts are inserted vertically like on the 800XL. tf_hh added the ability to switch between two slots. Both cannot be used at the same time.

• Like 1

http://www.bitsofthepast.com

not secure website?

This has come up before in another thread and I'm repeating my response here with some editing.

Some information on the concern and my thoughts...... Such as they are. :)

The SSL certificate issue is becoming more and more a scam perpetrated by forces wanting to monetize the world wild web. I know this sounds like one of those conspiracy fire-breathing screamers. But there is no protection that the 'certificate' offers a visitor against actual fraud or deception. That is up to the website owner's own integrity. The CA authority is not going to get involved in squabbles between customer and seller, nor are they going to manually investigate the veracity of the website. The level of 'certificate' that turns your address bar green and gives you a locked graphic is simply an automated WHOIS lookup with encryption in transition. It does nothing for the security at the beginning point or ending point of the communication session. :(

The CA authority that had been providing me with a free year long SSL DV level certification was informed by Google and Firefox that their browsers would no longer accept their SSL certificates in October, with an effective date of Jan this year. When I did a search for other CA authorities that offered free SSL DV certificates, I ran across numerous indications that those browser providers were pressuring and rejecting other CA authorities free SSL certificates or demanding changes in their offering which effectively kill the free part of the equation. Right now the longest I can get a free SSL certificate is 90 days. Hardly worth it. :thumbsdown:

Now if I am willing to pay $80+ per year for an SSL DV level certificate I can lease one for a year. But again that provides nothing but an automated WHOIS lookup with encryption during the session. If I was really processing payment information, then the need for secure communication is justified. But I am not.

Some hosting sites do provide a free SSL DV certificate as part of the hosting plan, but that requires moving to their servers and taking a chance on their service level. And for how long? When I first started with GoDaddy, six/seven years ago they offered free SSL DV level certificates as part of the hosting plan. They stopped doing that a little over a year ago, deciding to charge now for what had been included in their web commerce hosting plans. :(

If I was really doing something nefarious on my site, I could understand the caution. But the warning is a broad brush, implying simply because I don't have an SSL attached to my website that something is wrong.

It is fear mongering, to try and force hapless small website owners into shelling out tens and hundreds of dollars to 3rd parties to project a security that doesn't really exist or in most small ecommerce sites is needed. Most small ecommerce website owners like me don't do their own payment processing. Once we have the billing and shipping address to verify with the payment processor and figure the order cost with shipping we throw that info to a 3rd party payment processor, like Paypal to finalize the actual payment. That's where the real encryption security is and should be.

If you in fact cannot create an exception in your browser for websites you know to be benign, then that is a red flag for the browser. It's in control of your browsing, not you. ;)

My site is as secure as any website needs to be for what it is actually doing. Regardless of what the browser may say. ;-)

I can't get on the site with any computer to place and order... it either out right refuses or tells me something cool is coming... so I suspect it's being worked on or is down.... encryption is a good thing and I don't see why anyone should have to go through a bunch of crap to use it.... it has become a scam the only time a third party should be involved is when it is a third party involved in the actual connection.. for example when you need pay pal or a bank... and they issue or use their own encryption and keys so why the heck should you have to pay to use your own encryption? scam scam scam scam to the the tune of the monty python skit or SPAM!

Any way... what was the mix up on the first run... and is the second run ready? I have waited a number of weeks to find out.

Hi,

First of all it's not an SDX cart expander. ;-)

You can put an SDX cartridge in either slot, but it does not contain the SDX software or circuitry. It's main purpose is to help reduce the desk space needed in back of the 130XE. Someone was unhappy with the length taken up with an SDX cartridge with a piggyback cartridge on top when it was inserted into a 130XE. So I basically added a RA aspect, ie now the carts are inserted vertically like on the 800XL. tf_hh added the ability to switch between two slots. Both cannot be used at the same time.

Are there any existing solution for dual cart usage? Will there ever be?