IGNORED

New Hardware Offering: Dual Right Angle XL/XE Cart Expansion

Dropcheck

Are there any existing solution for dual cart usage? Will there ever be?

I doubt it. The 800 is the only computer that even had a dual slot in the machine. Only a few right cartridges were ever produced. Most existing carts are left cartridges. In fact I read somewhere that the right cart slot was designed to be more of an extension cart for the left. But I maybe wrong. :)

All the other computer versions had only one slot and 1 cartridge memory area active at one time. You have cartridges that could do multiple things and access the other cartridge memory area for that or allow you to piggyback another cartridge on top that you can switch to via software (ie the SDX cartridge), but not run both slot/cartridge memory areas at the same time with two completely different programs.

I think I follow what you are saying.

However, in the case of the dragon cart it is not loading a program but making a LAN interface available through some addresses.

Could some clever wiring allow dual usage for this specific case only?

Aren't you loading some other program from disk to allow it to work? Maybe an autorun.sys file.

Similarly, there's the ABBUC USB interface cart (sold at Atarimax) that's an interface.

(Of course, what's really needed is a 1090 type interface box to let all these things co-exist ;) )

It definitely would be nice to move this type of interface to the 1090XLR. In the meantime it seems that AtariMax has the cartridge implementation tied up for sure. :)

Cool! It would be really really really really neat to have SIDE2 and DragonCart running at same time!

Caution..... I didn't say it would happen. At least in cartridge form. Or at all....... :(

If you are just looking for storage, the SDrive variants might work for you right now. :)

Yes there are right cartridges as extensions, sparta can keep it's extensions running while in other carts as it swaps through it's stack and yes the r time 8 and other devices use the lines without acting like a cartridge for the most part... the big pain in the behind cartridge is the max flash 8 mbit and the Black Box when it comes to sharing the cartridge/pbi... I don't see any reason why either one or rather both could not be fixed....

Edited by _The Doctor__

Cool! It would be really really really really neat to have SIDE2 and DragonCart running at same time!

I have spoken with tf_hh and he is of the opinion that it is theoretically possible. He seems to believe that the PLD could be reprogrammed to allow both the DUAL RA and by extension the ECI2PBI to have both carts co-exist together at the same time. With the right combination of Dragon Cart dip switches.... So maybe..... depending on the version of Dragon Cart...... He has a cart, but I'm not sure what version. He says when he can grab some time to work on it, he'll test his theory.

Keep your fingers crossed. :)

• Like 5

You can put an SDX cartridge in either slot, but it does not contain the SDX software or circuitry. It's main purpose is to help reduce the desk space needed in back of the 130XE. Someone was unhappy with the length taken up with an SDX cartridge with a piggyback cartridge on top when it was inserted into a 130XE. So I basically added a RA aspect, ie now the carts are inserted vertically like on the 800XL. tf_hh added the ability to switch between two slots. Both cannot be used at the same time.

This was also my first thought... but I´ve to revise. The DragonCart just uses 16 bytes in the I/O area of $D500...$D5xF, it doesn´t set RD4 or RD5 to high (because no ROM or similar is mirrored) and also need no S4 nor S5 chip select. So an coexistence should be work fine plugging the SIDE2 in one slot, enable it with the switch and insert the DragonCart in the other.

Inside the DragonCart four DIP switches exists on the solder (back) side of the PCB. Per Default all are set to "ON", which means that address range $D500...$D50F is selected. Switching all to OFF position sets the address range to $D5F0-$D5FF. The SIDE/SIDE2 mode and RTC registers are located in $D5Ex. The addresses below $D5E0 are used for SDX bank switching I assume. So, theoretically, $D5F0-$D5FF should be fine and usable for the DragonCart.

I just setup such an config and SIDE2 starts normal. But I haven´t have any time to play with the DragonCart yet, so I haven´t any to test. Maybe anyone have tinkered with the DragonCart and can publish an "ready to use" ATR file as a proof of example? This should be enough to test if SIDE2 further works fine after DragonCart were accessed or not.

Jurgen

Edited by tf_hh
  • Like 2

I should have two available for purchase on my website.

I tried placing an order, but PayPal check out says:

underwoodle@yahoo.com
Your purchase couldn't be completed
Error Message

This invoice has already been paid. For more information, please contact the merchant.

There's a problem with the merchant's PayPal account. Please try again later.

I tried placing an order, but PayPal check out says:

underwoodle@yahoo.com
Error Message

This invoice has already been paid. For more information, please contact the merchant.

There's a problem with the merchant's PayPal account. Please try again later.

It appears that a double click may have occurred. I am showing a completed order for 2 Dual RA adapters to Canada. Is that you?

Er, that was me. The website said you had six! I'll give up one if that's all that there are.

Not the Dual RA cartridge adapter. Only had 2 in inventory on the website. :) I have/had six 130XE ECI2PBI cartridge adapters.

No, I live in Japan.

Taking a look now. May have been both of you ordering at the same time and Canada was a split second sooner. I do have a remaining board available that I can make up. Will have to order the switch so it would take a couple extra days to get in. I'll take this to PM mode now. :)

Not the Dual RA cartridge adapter. Only had 2 in inventory on the website. :) I have/had six 130XE ECI2PBI cartridge adapters.

Taking a look now. May have been both of you ordering at the same time and Canada was a split second sooner. I do have a remaining board available that I can make up. Will have to order the switch so it would take a couple extra days to get in. I'll take this to PM mode now. :)

What is the difference between the 2 boards?

What is the difference between the 2 boards?

130XE ECI2PBI Cartridge Adapter:

Announcing a super ECI2PBI Dual RA Cartridge Adapter offering.

This adapter is the first step in the development of the 1090XLR Expansion Box. It also will serve as a simple ECI2PBI adapter for a 130XE Computer to connect to standard 600/800XL PBI devices. The second feature that it provides is a dual RA cartridge switcher.

The adapter directly maps the compatible signals output by the 130XE ECI/Cartridge port to the XL PBI standard pin out. So all the address and data signals are mapped. The following signals are also common between the two pin outs: EXSEL, Reset, MPD, Audio In, Refresh, IQR, PHI2, and R/W. I have also maintained the GND and +5V signal pin outs on the PBI.

Where the signals diverge the layout of the XL PBI is kept with a few exceptions. A four position dip switch is installed to selectively map non-common signals to the PBI connector. Three of those non-common signals are HALT, D1XX and RD5. They are mapped to three of the reserved pins, 33, 37 and 39 respectively. A fourth signal requires a jumper from Freddie pin 4 to the reserved pin A on the 130XE ECI connector. Once this internal mod is done, the CASinh is selectively mapped through the dip switch to pin 38 (EXTNB) of the PBI. The CASinh and EXTNB signals appear to be the same signal just from different locations depending on the Atari model.

This adapter does not handle any other signals not already present on the 130XE ECI/Cartridge bus. Since CAS and RAS are not present on the 130XE ECI, those signals are missing from the PBI side as well. Not a big thing, since the only known use of these signals is the 1064XL 600XL ram module. A resistor tied to RAS/CAS and +5v should prevent computer hang if some unknown PBI device is expecting a low on those pins.

The metal bracket commonly found on the back of the 800XL computer to retain a card edge connector will fit the PBI connection.

'Gold'(ENIG) finish 90 mm x 100 mm finished pcb

130XE Dual RA Cartridge Adapter

This board will allow you to switch between two different cartridges without having to remove it from the Atari cartridge port. You will need to cold start the computer after a switch, but if you routinely use only two cartridges, you can save on the repeated insertion/removal process that over time wears down on both of the cartridge and Atari computer edge card contacts. By adding an additional expansion board you can multiply by 2 the number of carts to switch. While this is not a 32in1 type of situation, it doesn't cost as much either.

DSC_2370.jpg