IGNORED

Scored an Intellivision Super Pro System

simbalion

We still don't know what's inside. INTV used whatever old parts they had until late in its life, nothing would surprise me. I wonder if it shows the Super Pro Football bug? How many people play coleco donkey kong or carnival. Maybe its more common than we think.

I found I actually have a loose Super Pro Football cart, so I cleaned it and tried it out. It has the bug! After the computer changed over to me for offense, my quarterback doesn't show up until the ball is hiked!

Its assumed that the Super Pro Football bug is caused by the Intellivision II exec. The sound bugs on the Intellivision II are caused by an updated sound chip and not the exec, so any system with an updated sound chip could have those sound bugs.

Someone with a normal exec INTV III/SP system can check for the SP Football bug.

This INTV system has the bubbled keypad buttons so I think its an earlier one. Don't know the significance of the serial number not having the leading zeroes, maybe nothing.

Edited by mr_me

As far as I can tell, my serial number is a low one, but not as low as Rev's. Personally, I am done trying to guess about this system. I figure it has the model II EXEC in it and now I am just going to enjoy it. No way in hell am I popping this unit open unless it needs repair. I have had my flakey Tandyvision apart a few times and if the RF shield in this unit is like it, good luck! In my Tandyvision they not only crimped the RF shield over the board, but the RF shield is also soldered together! Not just in spots, but almost all the way around!

My Tandyvision unit is the Intelly I have that has the best RF picture. In fact it might even look better than my comp modded Sears unit. My INTV III suffers from the worst RF picture with my Intelly II somewhere in between them all.

Sadly, my Tandyvision is pretty much kaput. First, the controllers pretty much stopped working except for the disk and fire buttons on the left controller, then the sound pretty much went the last time I tested it. Very weak. My original Inty needs the Flashback controller mod and the reset button broke a while back. Little disk is still floating under the RF shield, but good luck getting that off! My worst Intellivisions for RF signal are the model II's I have. I will have to compare my working units again in the future, but I seem to recall my Sears and the Super Pro System I just got as being about the best. Heck, the most I have spent on any of these units is $80 for the boxed Sears. I have one Sears I got for free and it works fine too, just need that missing controller.

The only issue I have with my Tandyvision console (Which is my nicest condition Inty btw), is that just being plugged in and not even turned on, I will hear a low buzz coming from the power supply area inside it. For that reason I don't usually play on it much as I'm sure that buzz isn't a good sign. My most beat up looking Inty is my Sears unit but it too has a really decent RF and I would put it as second best on RF next to my Tandyvision. It was also the first Inty I found in the wild at a thrift store for $1.79...and still had both of the original controllers attached and in really good shape overall minus the scuffs...and scratches on it.

My Inty III is really cool looking, but the laminate separation on the controllers really bugs me and the RF on it has a lot of noise. But it is the only boxed complete Intelly console I own in the collection. The rest are all loose but functional.

As far as I can tell, my serial number is a low one, but not as low as Rev's. Personally, I am done trying to guess about this system. I figure it has the model II EXEC in it and now I am just going to enjoy it. No way in hell am I popping this unit open unless it needs repair. I have had my flakey Tandyvision apart a few times and if the RF shield in this unit is like it, good luck! In my Tandyvision they not only crimped the RF shield over the board, but the RF shield is also soldered together! Not just in spots, but almost all the way around!

INTV systems shouldn't have the rf shield around the main board. Those requirements were eased in the early 1980s thanks to some Atari lobbying I think. The bottom of an INTV case has some vents where you can see the main board without opening it up.

Edit: The intellivision ii exec was a single 4.25K rom chip where the original exec was on two 2K rom chips. I assume that single 4.25k rom chip is compatible with the old board design.

Edited by mr_me

• 7 years later...