IGNORED

Super Pro Boxing and SP Hockey 2

intvdave

Well if the game (utopia) is changed too much, then change the name!

Here are some options.

Arcadia, Eden, Elysium, Elysium Fields, Erewhon, Garden of Eden, Shangri-La, bliss, dreamland, dreamworld, fairyland, heaven, land of milk and honey, never-never land, paradise, perfection, pie in the sky, promised land, seventh heaven, wonderland.

Take off to your Utopia. This is the Super Pro Hockey thread aye! :lolblue:

tumblr_m6imf9vkbw1qgm66no1_500.jpg

• Like 4

For Super Pro Utopia, I'd like to see new islands, whether they're randomly generated or just premade, that'd be the first step. I don't think you could add any new buildings/boats, since 0-9 are all already taken. I like the idea of other natural disasters or historical events. Maybe a way to select/deselect aspects of the game. I'd get a good kick out of being able to disable hurricanes completely or cranking out weather like it was always a monsoon. It would also be interesting to see how disabling some structures would alter the course of the game. I wonder if there could be another way to get gold besides fishing as well...

• Like 1

For more thread de-railing Utopia stuff, this thread may help shed light on how scoring works.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/197259-utopia-revealed/

I second the idea of random island configurations, whether pre-made or randomized. It would also be cool to actually be able to sink pirate boats and not just 'stun' them (while having to keep control of your pt boat to do so. This always seemed useless to me). It would make sense to earn points for sinking pirate ships, but maintaining the smallest navy could earn more points in the island harmony category.

• 3 weeks later...

Suggestions for Intellivision hockey:

Fix the skating so when a player changes direction they don't continue sliding. Gliding when the disc is released is correct. Glide while button is pressed so you can quickly change direction of pass/shot. I think the programmer tried to have skating acceleration to top speed which is an interesting idea but the sliding is wrong. Loss of skating momentum for certain movements would make sense.

Make passing easier. For example, automatically have passes directed to the closest teammate in your disc direction taking into account that target players movement. Anything to make passing easier would be good.

Not sure about this one but I was thinking about also making shooting easier. Have all shots automatically directed at net (except when the puck is behind center red line). Chance of rebounds being less the further away; discouraging long shots since it likely results in a turnover.

If modifying 'Slap Shot Super Pro', fix the bug where shots/passes sometimes go in a different direction than disc direction. Remove keypad passing. And make the blue lines blue again.

Thanks Mr Me. Blue lines are back. Skating is faster.There is still a lot more to go though :(

• Like 8

I definitely have ideas about Utopia, but I'll save them for another thread.

As for Hockey, it's one of my favorite Intellivision games (definitely my favorite of the sports games). I usually play the original NHL Hockey, as it's less glitchy, and has the curved rink. Super Pro has the rectangular rink, and occasionally the puck will jump to a random player when shooting or passing.

Some game ideas...

How about making the top two corners of the rink slightly curved as well? It would make shots / rebounds off the boards there more realistic.

Better goalie AI. The goaltenders can fall down quite easily, and sometimes stay down for extended periods of time. Perhaps the length of time they stay down could depend on how hard of a shot they blocked. Up close wrist shots aren't likely to make him fall, while slap shots from the blue line will. The goalie is also not good at getting the puck back to his own team after a save. He just throws it out randomly to whomever may be nearby. A little more "thoughtfulness" there, to get it to his own team would be great.

Super Pro has the feature where you can press a key to cycle through which player you are controlling. This is mostly useful when your controlled player is tripped and you can quickly switch to another guy. In NHL Hockey, once your controlled player is tripped, you can't do anything until he gets back up, or another player becomes your controlled player by intercepting the puck. I like both. In NHL Hockey it's great if you're the one doing the tripping, and can keep your opponent out of the game for a while. In SP Hockey, it's nice when you're the one who has just been tripped, since you can quickly switch players and be back in business. I propose keeping the ability to switch players like SP, but... add a delay timer so that once you're tripped, you have to wait a few seconds before you can switch control. It brings back the strategy element of tripping that's in NHL, but keeps the player switching of SP.

Better offensive computer player AI. A lot of times when going for the net, your computer teammates only job seems to be to get in front of you, and thus IN THE WAY of your shots. And this can repeat several times for several shots in front of the net, depending on how the players are bunched up. How about making one of the computer offensive players go to either side of the net as you skate across the blue line with the puck, and the other hang back near the blue line in case there's a turnover?

I think the defensive computer player AI could be tightened up as well. There always seems to be one defenseman who just hangs out around center ice, skating in random patterns, oblivious to what's going on in the game. The two computer defensemen should either play a zone, or each one sticks to one of the offensive players. And their behavior could change depending on what the human controlled defenseman does / who he covers. Also, when the goalie gets the puck it would be nice if they tried to make themselves open for a pass too.

Maybe an option (that you could turn off or on independently for each team) of whether or not you can trip when you have a player in the penalty box. This could open up the possibility of having 2 players in the penalty box at once. It would also allow for the less experienced player to have an advantage over a more skilled opponent, by being able to trip more frequently, while the more experienced player has that option turned off.

Overtime for tie games would be nice. Maybe even a shootout option.

How about a Penalty shot, if your guy gets tripped when on a breakaway, going in alone against the goalie?

A much harder / faster slap shot option - either by holding the button down or using a dedicated button.

The ability to lift the puck to shoot higher / above the goalie's stick? I realize this may be difficult since the net is already so small and it would be hard to tell where it's going to go. Obviously a shadow on the puck would be awesome, but I don't think there's any way to do that short of multiplexing a moveable object.

Anyway, I've got a few more ideas, but I'll stop for now. Not sure how feasible these are anyway, but I think they would really improve the game.

• Like 2

Great ideas nurmix. Thanks.

- I am no sure if I will spend the time on rounded corners. I am still debating how much time I want to spend on the game.

- I have implemented a better goalie AI.

- I like the feature of quickly switching players so I will leave it as it is.

- I will look into the computer players AI

- Considering you do not have 5 team mates on the ice, having 1 in penalty is enough. I will not implement having 2 in the penalty box

- I like the idea of overtime.

- I am debating on the penalty shot idea. Probably will not do it though

- Speed of the game has already been updated. I think this takes care of the slap shot issue.

- Shadow on the puck would be nice but then you would have to be able to control the lift and have that affect how the goalie can stop it. I do not think it works here as it does for baseball, tennis, ect.

The updates I have done are being tested by Byte Knight. We shall see how they are received and how long I continue working on it. I do not know if or how I will release this as.It depends on if the updates are worthy.

Thanks for the suggestions

• Like 4

I swear one of your two linemates is standing still in one spot most of the time. Its harder to make passes when you only have one option. Improved AI for the guys without the puck would be good.

Edit:

I would think the return of rounded corners was a given for a slap shot mod. Switching players should be disabled when you're lying on the ice, that was part of the fun in the original nhl version.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Scoring a goal from behind the net has been fixed. I will be working on updating the way shooting occurs once I finish working on how penalties work. Byte Knight is liking the updates. He is asking for things but I am not giving into every request. Even with that, he seems pleased. We shall see.

Sounds good! Really looking forward to trying this one out. If you need another tester... [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Below is my running list of test releases and what was implemented in each one. I understand this list is not everything you all want. I believe the game is more fun to play now though. Since I do not think hockey is that popular of a game, I may only release it as a ROM.

1 = color change of tan players to red
changed red lines to blue lines
2 = sped up the players
3 = update game levels
men setup correctly during face-off
4 = added time option; update menu options - super pro defaults when human player
5 = updates to sound when puck hits wall and goalie hits puck
fixed bug that allowed scoring behind net
goalie gets up quicker after getting knocked down
6 = face off after penalty occurs
7 = penalty clock color matches team color
and even faster players
8 = puck is shot in the direction your man is moving in
9 = re purposed lower side buttons - lower side buttons swaps players
10 = carry penalties over to next period when time remaining
quicker goalie

• Like 6

Below is my running list of test releases and what was implemented in each one. I understand this list is not everything you all want. I believe the game is more fun to play now though. Since I do not think hockey is that popular of a game, I may only release it as a ROM.

1 = color change of tan players to red

changed red lines to blue lines

2 = sped up the players

3 = update game levels

men setup correctly during face-off

4 = added time option; update menu options - super pro defaults when human player

5 = updates to sound when puck hits wall and goalie hits puck

fixed bug that allowed scoring behind net

goalie gets up quicker after getting knocked down

6 = face off after penalty occurs

7 = penalty clock color matches team color

and even faster players

8 = puck is shot in the direction your man is moving in

9 = re purposed lower side buttons - lower side buttons swaps players

10 = carry penalties over to next period when time remaining

quicker goalie

Sounds great Dave! I hope you'll at least release this on a board again as I'm sure it'll sell just as good as the other two.

Hi David,

Thanks for taking the time to update Slapshot! I always liked the original NHL Hockey despite its flaws buy was disappointed w/Slap Shot when I got when it 1st came out so all these changes are welcome!! If possible would you consider doing a board only release similar to Mystic Castle & SP Baseball?

Again thanks so much for your efforts I'm really looking forward to this very much whenever it is available.

Best regards.

Joe