IGNORED

New A4000D, Thylacine USB, OS3.9, and Poseidon 4.5

OLD CS1

I am having problems with a brand new OS3.9 installation, Thylacine USB, and Poseidon 4.5.

I have installed the Thylacine software, the last available thylacine.device, and Poseidon 4.5. Poseidon refuses to recognize the device. It shows up in ShowBoards and WhichAmiga, so I assume it is working.

I am still researching to find a solution, but if anyone has experience or pointers I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

It seems a number of people gave up on using the Thylacine with Poseidon. It does have its own USB stack which recognizes devices I am plugging in, but it does not automatically mount a flash drive like Poseidon (unless my problem is, and it only just dawned on me, that the drives are NTFS formatted instead of FAT32.)

I do not want anything fancy out of it. I would like to use a hub with keyboard, mouse, and flash drives. I may not be as concerned about it in the long run as I plan to pick up an X-Surf 100 with RapidRoad USB sometime soon. I would hate to shove off the Thylacine if I can get it to work so it may wind up in my 2060 rig.

There are a few people who said they got theirs to work fine, even a couple at a time, so maybe they are in the market for another :)

Thylacine is insanely unstable. I have one in in my GBA and I do use the latest Poseidon (don't know what thylacine.device) and mine works better than most, but sustained data transfers of over around 60 seconds will cause a lockup. Rapid road is presumably 100x better. I use this because it's part of the 'complete set" of GBA add-ons. I'll likely swap it out with my Buddha and a clockport RR or subway at some point.

Yeah... I ma beginning to feel more and more that I will need to pass this off to someone who has been successful. I enjoy a good puzzle, but I really do not have the time and the stability issue has been mentioned by more than one person.

RapidRoad, here I come! (Especially since running the Thylacine USB stack in user-startup somehow prevents Workbench from opening programs. What?!)

I need to dig out my Amiga and look at the SS/US. I don't think Thylacine needs a USB stack of its own - just Poseidon (and it's USB stack in the US) and the thylacine.device loaded by Poseidon. Is it possible your issues stem from having both stacks running?

I disabled the Thylacine's native stack before enabling Poseidon. I tried both individually, and in one thread at EAB (or AO, cannot recall which) someone mentioned that the Thylacine stack needed to run on his system for Poseidon to recognize the device. Well, that did not work for me, either.

Both USB stacks launch in US.

Got my X-Surf 100 and RapidRoad but have not installed them, yet. In the meantime I did get the Thylacine working in Poseidon, though not consistently. Booting with a USB device attached causes a crash as soon as Poseidon starts. Plugging in a keyboard requires and subsequent dis- and re-connect before the HID service starts (as evidenced by the inadequate stack warnings, which is another issue altogether.) It will not recognize a flash drive, and I have not tried other devices like a mouse.

I am running MUI 3.9, and I have read elsewhere that, in conclusion, I should not be running 3.9 on a 25MHz 68040 with 16MB RAM and should fall back to 3.8. No biggie, there.

The stack issue could be what is vexing me most, but I am uncertain. I have not set up a new system from scratch in so long I have forgotten all of the various things I did to make stuff work so well. Apart from upgrading to a 50Mhz 060, of course. Man, I lament selling my WarpSpeed 4040, as it would be sooo much better than what is in here now.

I have plans to replace the IDE hard drive with something non-mechanical, maybe a CF but likely an SSD. This will be a chance to start over. I would like to see if I can get the Thylacine working (so I can at least sell it knowing it is operational) but, oh man, X-Surf 100/RapidRoad! icon_mrgreen.gif