IGNORED

New MAME release

mizapf

If you did not change the default, the speech adapter card decodes AMA/AMB/AMC. This can be set in the OSD menu (Machine configuration).

I don't see any problems with my minimal configuration, including speech. What ABASIC did you try to run? Please try to run it with a known good configuration.

I'd also suggest to use MEMTEST to run a check, as Beery said.

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

If you did not change the default, the speech adapter card decodes AMA/AMB/AMC. This can be set in the OSD menu (Machine configuration).

I don't see any problems with my minimal configuration, including speech. What ABASIC did you try to run? Please try to run it with a known good configuration.

I'd also suggest to use MEMTEST to run a check, as Beery said.

I do not think I have used Speech with MAME, but since that setting is present, it sounds like @dhe likely has it opposite of what it should be.

Does fully decoding AMA/AMB/AMC as a default for the Geneve (and/or TI-99/4A) have any negative consequences if the default is  "not decoded", Michael?

1 hour ago, 9640News said:

Does fully decoding AMA/AMB/AMC as a default for the Geneve (and/or TI-99/4A) have any negative consequences if the default is  "not decoded", Michael?

I'm not sure, does this mean you want to suggest to change the default to "not decoding AMA/B/C" unless this has bad consequences?

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

I'm not sure, does this mean you want to suggest to change the default to "not decoding AMA/B/C" unless this has bad consequences?

I am suggesting the default be full decoding for the card as a default, unless there are negative consequences for the TI-99/4A use or if there is negative consequences for a stock Geneve, no Memex or Genmod setup.  

I do not think there are any negative consequences for the stock Geneve, but not 100% sure.  And with the TI-99/4A it likely doesn't matter, unless the code does not differentiate between a TI-99/4A and Geneve setups.

Beery

@dhe

Decode needs to be on with GenMod and Speech.  Does ABASIC 4.08 work well when it is on along with speech?

I don't see a screen grab when DECODE is off with Memtest.  I see a note above your first grahic with ABASIC 4.08, but not sure what that means.

There is an error reported which is due to the speech port being accessed and not returning the same byte back during each pass on page >BC. At least that is my assumption right now.  The difference between the Errors and Passes count is due to where in the memory test  of the complete memory map test is captured by your screen grab.

The mid trigger, I am not too sure what is going on there without more explanation to when you got those messages.  Perhaps some kind of invalid data to the speech port?????? Just thinking out loud here.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep you informed, this month's MAME release (0.247) has no special TI-related improvements. I guess I don't have to upload the binaries to WHTech this time.

@dheWhat about the issue with ABASIC? If I should have a closer look, please prepare a disk image with your OS, the AUTOEXEC, and ABASIC files (and check whether you can boot from it, and whether the problem appears with it). This is the easiest way to make sure we are looking at the same configuration.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I think I found the problem. You most certainly had the TI Mode DIP switch set to on. For some reason I chose TURBO=Off, TIMODE=On as the default; I guess this should better be swapped.

This switch is normally located on the Genmod switch box. You must not use the On setting when you work in MDOS; it will activate the onboard RAM to support GROM emulation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have now opened public access to my new website, Ninermame.

This website is supposed to collect all information concerning the TI-99 family of MAME emulations, so you should bookmark that site and regularly check it from now on.

As you remember, I originally put all that information in Ninerpedia, but it seemed to me as if people saw it rather as a MAME information site, so I first decided to move all MAME stuff to my own website, mizapf.de.

However, over time, enough content has gathered to justify an own presence.

You will still notice lots of empty spaces, but those will be filled more and more.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I just uploaded the new 0.249 release to WHTech. The only interesting change for us is the new default DIP setting for Genmod (Turbo = on, TIMode = off).

Even though the last three releases did not offer really new things for the TI emulations, we'll get some more improvements in future releases again, so no need to worry. 🙂

• Like 4

Thanks for giving me some hints in this thread about how to set the parameters in mame.

However, with this command line:

mame geneve -peb:slot4 memex -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:hfdc:h1 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:h2 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:h3 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:f3 525dd -peb:slot8:hfdc:f4 525dd -hard1 d:\mame\disks\mame_rodime.hd -flop1 d:\mame\disks\Mdos650.dsk

I'm not able to boot whatsoever. I've dumped a hd image with my new MFM emulator and converted it with chdman (got an error initially but then used -c none and now it seems to accept it) - however, it won't boot off of it, nor from the floppy... so I'm kind of stuck here. 😞

Edited by Brufnus

mame -debug -bios 1.00

You can add -debug that might help give you some clues, also, you can call out the bios version you want to use.

I would compare what boot files you have, compared to what BIO's you are using to boot with, Beery made some changes on BIO's V2.

The is an option built in to TI Image Tool to install a new MDOS in to an HD image, that might need updating to work....

Starting with the last one - yes, I saw that MDOS install option but it just said it already had it installed. Perhaps I can override it...

I have boot ROM's v0.98, 1.00, and 2.00. When I select 0.98 and 1.00, it works now.

Anyway, I'll try the debug option and see what it says - thanks! :-D

Edited by Brufnus

I once created an adapter to hook a TI keyboard up to the USB port so that it can be used in MAME:

But I don't use it regularly. It's a nice thing, but in the meantime I learned the keyboard mapping by heart, so I usually type on my German PC keyboard in emulated mode where lots of keys are remapped to somewhere else.

Concerning the mouse, you have to mount the mouse to the colorbus:

mame geneve -colorbus busmouse ...
mame geneve -colorbus busmouse -mouse ...

If the mouse does not react properly, you should check the input mapping in the OSD menu (Mouse X, Mouse Y, buttons).

The second line captures the mouse pointer by the option -mouse. If I remember correctly, this is already the case without the option in Windows.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If the mouse does not react properly, you should check the input mapping in the OSD menu (Mouse X, Mouse Y, buttons).

very important to check. that's what tripped me up the last time before I got the mouse to work with MAME/Geneve.  :) 

BTW, didn't you do a tutorial somewhere on getting mouse to work in MAME/GENEVE? 

13 hours ago, hloberg said:

very important to check. that's what tripped me up the last time before I got the mouse to work with MAME/Geneve.  :) 

BTW, didn't you do a tutorial somewhere on getting mouse to work in MAME/GENEVE? 

actually not mouse but joystick setup on ninerpedia https://www.ninerpedia.org/wiki/MAME_TI_emulation_usage

is what i must be thinking of.

Edited by hloberg