IGNORED

New MAME release

mizapf

On 11/1/2022 at 1:08 AM, hloberg said:

If the mouse does not react properly, you should check the input mapping in the OSD menu (Mouse X, Mouse Y, buttons).

very important to check. that's what tripped me up the last time before I got the mouse to work with MAME/Geneve.  :) 

BTW, didn't you do a tutorial somewhere on getting mouse to work in MAME/GENEVE? 

little more on that from a previous post on setting up the mouse:

Check "Input (this machine)" → "V9938 Bus Mouse" → "Mouse X 3 Analog = Mouse X", "Mouse Y 3 Analog = Mouse Y".

Is there is "none", select that item, and move your mouse in the respective direction.

on my machines it always been NONE. can set in OSD menu by clicking on Mouse X analog then move mouse in X direction, also same with Y. plus you need to set the mouse buttons too by pressing the buttons.

oh yes, and as noted put in startup batch -colorbus busmouse . don't set to any peb slot just by it's self. I tried setting it in the OSD menu but it seem to never save to the config like the joyst did so had to put directly in startup batch. the X and Y settings in OSD, on the other hand, did save to the config. the mouse works fine now in MyArt.

Edited by hloberg
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, mizapf said:

I already added some information on Ninermame; if you want to have a look: https://www.ninermame.org/using/mouse

need to add Ninermame to ti99resources (along with a lot other stuff).

check out https://ti99resources.wordpress.com/emulation/

@mizapf is there anything you want me to remove that you might be closing to move over to ninermame?

6 hours ago, hloberg said:

@mizapf is there anything you want me to remove that you might be closing to move over to ninermame?

Anything about MAME will be moved from mizapf.de and ninerpedia.org to ninermame.org. You should update all those links on your site; the respective contents are already available at ninermame.org.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mizapf said:

Anything about MAME will be moved from mizapf.de and ninerpedia.org to ninermame.org. You should update all those links on your site; the respective contents are already available at ninermame.org.

i'll be adding some stuff over the next week or so and i'll also make those changes too. thanks.

Edited by hloberg
  • Like 1

Just wanted to share my experiences in  trying to load and run the demos on the TI Logo Sampler Disk.

Either the standard tifdc or ddcc1 will work.  hfdc didn't seem to work.

./mame ti99_4a -ioport peb -ioport:peb:slot2 32kmem -ioport:peb:slot8 tifdc logo2 

./mame ti99_4a -ioport peb -ioport:peb:slot2 32kmem -ioport:peb:slot8 ddcc1 logo2 

and added the floppy to the command line:  (tab completion makes the escaped \ spaces)

-flop1 TI\ Logo\ -\ Sampler\ \[TI\ Logo\ Cart\].dsk

After Logo launches, type RECALL, then either 1 (for procedures only) or 3 (all). 

Warning: If you choose 2 (Shapes and Tiles) it will *CRASH* upon accessing the disk.  You won't be able to get back into Logo.

Then choose 2 (for Diskette) and then you can type Space to cycle through the file names.

and once you load a demo you can type "HELP" for instructions.

Screenshot from 2022-11-06 23-52-09.png

Screenshot from 2022-11-06 23-59-44.png

Screenshot from 2022-11-06 23-59-47.png

Screenshot from 2022-11-07 00-00-01.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

more mouse....

I tried adding a color mouse to the geneve emulation:

mame -window -oslog genmod -bios 1.00 -colorbus busmouse -mouse -peb:slot3 horizon -peb:slot4 speech -peb:slot5 tirs232 -peb:slot6 tipi -conn rpi.192.168.2.2 -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:hfdc:h1 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:h2 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:h3 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:f3 525dd -peb:slot8:hfdc:f4 525dd -hard1 genos7boot.HD -hard2 Bootdisk2.HD -hard3 Bootdisk3.HD -flop1 DM1000SRC.dsk -flop2 DSDD2.hfe -flop3 DSDD3.dsk -flop4 DSDD4.dsk -serl1 socket.localhost:10000

First I tried it with out the -mouse flag. Started myart - no movement, then I added -mouse no movement.

This is going through a remote desktop session - so I wonder if that's getting in the way?

Can anyone toss out some test to help me cut to the problem?

>You should see two triangles, indicating that the emulator waits for your input.

When I click on a entry like left mouse button, I get the triangles "> <" - I also have  a shadow of my normal mouse pointer in bronze, But, no clicking of the mouse ever gets me past >< - .

Which tells me, it's waiting on input that it never receives?

10 hours ago, dhe said:

Next weekend I will hookup a real mouse and keyboard and see if we can slice the pie further.

I don't know my way around a geneve, but grabbing parts of your command line and finding an hd image

./mame  geneve -colorbus busmouse  -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:hfdc:h1 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:h2 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:h3 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:f3 525dd -peb:slot8:hfdc:f4 525dd -hard1 mdos_gpl_util.hd

and launching my art,

I had to assign the mouse X and the mouse Y axes in the UI, they aren't assigned by default, you choose the item , hit enter and move the mouse in the axis you want (note that you have to move it a certain amount for it to pass a threshold), for x axis move horizontally for y move vertically, and I can see that it works, moving the pointer in My Art:

Screenshot from 2022-11-21 00-46-49.png30.jpg

Edited by Golden Child
  • Like 1

Powered up that mame box, and went in via the kvm.

I was able to choose logitech mouse and go in to the screen above and values for x (if selected) and or y (if selected) were displayed.

When I remote desktop, I simple get keyboard 1 and mouse 1 as input devices.

Oddly, keyboard functionality is 100% and mouse is 0%.

image.png.3af658afcc025f3635a91ee01d948d73.png

closer... I was able to x / y values to show on input device, via remote desktop with: -mouseprovider dinput

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to cleanly assign mouse buttons.

The myarc mouse uses 3 buttons, I have a logitec track ball, which in theory has three buttons (the middle scroll wheel also clicks).

I don't think mapping was working properly,

image.thumb.png.142d9284d9b99e061470589fc12417cc.png

Protip: if you don't assign a mouse on your mame command line, you will not see Bus Mouse in input assignments.

I did read the manual and it says you have to press and hold the right mouse button before you can 'draw'.

Alias...

37 minutes ago, dhe said:

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to cleanly assign mouse buttons.

The myarc mouse uses 3 buttons, I have a logitec track ball, which in theory has three buttons (the middle scroll wheel also clicks).

I don't think mapping was working properly,

image.thumb.png.142d9284d9b99e061470589fc12417cc.png

try hitting the right arrow before you get ready to do an assignment, it will toggle between SET (replace) versus doing an APPEND when you hit ENTER.

Edited by Golden Child
  • Thanks 1

I wanted to try Rasmus's 3d battleground demo on a 512k cart image in mame, and wanted to share how I did it:

Following the instructions at: https://www.ninerpedia.org/wiki/MESS_cartridge_handling  I tried to make a .rpk file with a layout like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<romset version="1.0">
   <resources>
      <rom id="romimage1" file="battleground8.bin"/>
   </resources>
   <configuration>
      <pcb type="paged377">
         <socket id="rom_socket" uses="romimage1"/>
      </pcb>
   </configuration>
</romset>

I put the files battleground8.bin and layout.xml into a directory called battleground. 

I used ubuntu file manager's compress... from the right click menu on the directory but that would always make a zip file with the files inside of a battleground subdirectory and it wouldn't work.

If I went into the battleground directory and selected the two files (battleground8.bin and layout.xml) and then did a right click/Compress... then it would make a zip file *without* the internal subdirectory.

Then changing the .zip extension to .rpk, it loaded just fine:

./mame  ti99_4a -ioport peb -ioport:peb:slot2 32kmem -cart1 battleground/batt.rpk

Edited by Golden Child
  • Like 1

My idea behind those disguised ZIP files is that the Open Document formats (like .odt) as well as the Office Open formats (.docx) are ZIP files as well (try to unzip!). If you name it ZIP, roughly a million people will try to unzip them before use, which is not the way to go, neither for RPK.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Golden Child said:

I wanted to try Rasmus's 3d battleground demo on a 512k cart image in mame, and wanted to share how I did it:

Following the instructions at: https://www.ninerpedia.org/wiki/MESS_cartridge_handling  I tried to make a .rpk file with a layout like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<romset version="1.0">
   <resources>
      <rom id="romimage1" file="battleground8.bin"/>
   </resources>
   <configuration>
      <pcb type="paged377">
         <socket id="rom_socket" uses="romimage1"/>
      </pcb>
   </configuration>
</romset>

I put the files battleground8.bin and layout.xml into a directory called battleground. 

I used ubuntu file manager's compress... from the right click menu on the directory but that would always make a zip file with the files inside of a battleground subdirectory and it wouldn't work.

If I went into the battleground directory and selected the two files (battleground8.bin and layout.xml) and then did a right click/Compress... then it would make a zip file *without* the internal subdirectory.

Then changing the .zip extension to .rpk, it loaded just fine:

./mame  ti99_4a -ioport peb -ioport:peb:slot2 32kmem -cart1 battleground/batt.rpk

Needs to be paged378 not 377 the 8 at the end of the filename is how you know 

Edited by arcadeshopper
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

Needs to be paged378 not 377 the 8 at the end of the filename is how you know 

Oh ok, thanks for the pointer.  I thought the 8 was just a version number.  When I was trying to get it to work I was trying different combinations of things.

I see that the paged379 is LS379, paged378 is LS378 and paged379 is LS379, interesting.

377 has 8 flip flops  for 256 possibilities * 8k (2M)

378 has 6 flip flops  for 64 possibilities * 8k (512Kb)

379 has 4 flip flops  for 16 possibilities * 8k (128Kb)

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Golden Child said:

Oh ok, thanks for the pointer.  I thought the 8 was just a version number.  When I was trying to get it to work I was trying different combinations of things.

I see that the paged379 is LS379, paged378 is LS378 and paged379 is LS379, interesting.

377 has 8 flip flops  for 256 possibilities * 8k (2M)

378 has 6 flip flops  for 64 possibilities * 8k (512Kb)

379 has 4 flip flops  for 16 possibilities * 8k (128Kb)

379 files end in a 9.. also you will find they are 'inverted' while 8's are not..  so if you have a 2 bank file, it would go 1 0 in the file.. and on a 378 it would be 0 1 

• Like 3

Mouse sense x/y movement in all cases!

After playing with this interface, I did get the mouse buttons to map correctly (mouse provider dinput)

Input device is just detected as mouse.

image.thumb.png.45d4f30f953f32f004b6f6e1866bf932.png

Mouseprovider not specified - on input device it's noted as a Logitech Trackman.

image.thumb.png.a9d7f923a41a66e78f87f1fdba7b55b1.png

In order to get mice buttons to match correctly - I have to hit delete, double click in perfect timing, and exactly once click the mouse button I want to assign then to add insult to injury - the settings aren't stored and have to be reconfigured on each run.

Neither scenario will move the 'pencil':

image.png.bb31aa681ee0162895ada12e3f7066df.png

Can someone else please try this and see if it works?

Interesting that your settings are not stored. I don't know whether this has to do with the remote desktop; it's doing for me. I can also move the pointer in MyArt.

If you start the Geneve emulation without mouse next time, then the settings may actually be lost. For that reason I recommend to use the cfg_directory switch in the command line so that your geneve.ini file stays untouched when you run a different configuration in another cfg_directory.

./mame geneve -window -cfg_directory cfgmouse -colorbus busmouse ...