IGNORED

New MAME release

mizapf

Well I ran the mameprep in a MacOS terminal window, had to use sudo and for some reason had to run it like this sudo bash ./mameprep.txt as it would not let me rename the file just mameprep, (I don't quite know enough about the intricacies of Mac OS yet) and I had created another mame folder  to use to try this and it worked I got the script to run.

2 hours ago, mizapf said:

@9640NewsThe problem with the dual use of the Raspberry Pi is that the image from Matt may not have all the libraries installed that are required by MAME. As for me, I'm running the Pi for TIPI on a Raspi 3, while I run MAME on a Raspi 4.

OK.

Greg commented today he was using 32 bit for the PI software on the PI 5 for dual use, but it did not look like for the Geneve emulation it was running at full speed.  He was in the process of changing the frameski to see if they could get more speed.  Nothing has been done yet with 64 bit case.

1 hour ago, RickyDean said:

Well I ran the mameprep in a MacOS terminal window, had to use sudo and for some reason had to run it like this sudo bash ./mameprep.txt as it would not let me rename the file just mameprep, (I don't quite know enough about the intricacies of Mac OS yet) and I had created another mame folder  to use to try this and it worked I got the script to run.

In a terminal window, try a "ls -al" to see the ownerships of the files. The problem is that if you once use sudo, it will create files with root ownership, which may only be overwritten when you are root again. If macOS terminals use some shell like bash, you should be able to do a "chown" command.

As I said, using root means bad karma. Unix is designed to make use of root only for system configuration and for packaged software installations.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, 9640News said:

Greg commented today he was using 32 bit for the PI software on the PI 5 for dual use, but it did not look like for the Geneve emulation it was running at full speed.  He was in the process of changing the frameski to see if they could get more speed.  Nothing has been done yet with 64 bit case.

While the TI emulations run at 100% on the Raspi 4, the Geneve emulation never got beyond 80%. See https://www.ninermame.org/info/requirements.

The 9995 means a substantially higher load. The ultimate test is the TI-99/8 with HX5102 (two 9995).

• Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 2:31 PM, mizapf said:

While the TI emulations run at 100% on the Raspi 4, the Geneve emulation never got beyond 80%. See https://www.ninermame.org/info/requirements.

The 9995 means a substantially higher load. The ultimate test is the TI-99/8 with HX5102 (two 9995).

This is a 5

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, mizapf said:

How's the 5 doing? Did you try to run the Geneve emulation? I'm interested in the console output ("Average speed: xx%").

it doesn't seem that much faster  but then I'm running buster with a 32bit build of mame on it.. so that I can run the tipi sdcard image as well works pretty good that way for localhost tipi webhook

OK, thanks. The Raspi5 is definitely a good deal faster than the Raspi4, so it may actually run the Geneve emulation in full speed. Compare with https://www.ninermame.org/info/requirements (Raw bench performance).

But why do you get these warning messages? Don't you unpack the whole zip tar.gz file into your mame folder?

I remember that I recently had similar problems until I noticed that I was running an old executable file (mame64) from a former release, as its file name was used in one of my script files. That is, the mame executable and the accompanying folders in the tar.gz file must always be updated both.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mizapf said:

OK, thanks. The Raspi5 is definitely a good deal faster than the Raspi4, so it may actually run the Geneve emulation in full speed. Compare with https://www.ninermame.org/info/requirements (Raw bench performance).

But why do you get these warning messages? Don't you unpack the whole zip tar.gz file into your mame folder?

I remember that I recently had similar problems until I noticed that I was running an old executable file (mame64) from a former release, as its file name was used in one of my script files. That is, the mame executable and the accompanying folders in the tar.gz file must always be updated both.

yes I untar'd the mame install from whtech might have something missing/different in the packages installed?

I'll try on my Raspi in the next days.

Could you please do a "ls -al" in your mame folder and paste it here?

The warning "Error opening translation file English" occurs for me when I remove the "language" subfolder. You may also check the "languagepath" setting in mame.ini.

Is this a new mame installation?

Does the V3D message disappear when you use "-video opengl" in your command line?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mizapf said:

I'll try on my Raspi in the next days.

Could you please do a "ls -al" in your mame folder and paste it here?

The warning "Error opening translation file English" occurs for me when I remove the "language" subfolder. You may also check the "languagepath" setting in mame.ini.

Is this a new mame installation?

Does the V3D message disappear when you use "-video opengl" in your command line?

Language was mame.ini fixed

Error remains with -video opengl

looks like it needs mesa 23.x and that's not what's installed on buster by default..  I looked at compiling mesa from current gitlab source and got into dependency weeds

I now tried it on my Raspberry 4, and there I do have V3D. Maybe you are using an older Raspberry OS. What does "uname -rm" say? For me it's "6.1.21-v8+ aarch64".

Edit: @arcadeshopperIs that the Linux image for the TIPI? If so, there may be problems with the MAME executable that was built on Linux versions that were newer or had more libraries installed. If you want to use your Raspberry for both MAME and TIPI, I'd recommend to do a normal Linux installation and then try to enable TIPI on it, instead of trying to get MAME running on the TIPI build.

Here's a heads-up concerning MAME usage under Linux with an international keyboard.

Recent Linux updates may cause trouble with MAME if you are using an international keyboard. For me in particular, using a German keyboard, the ö key (right of L) is now dead in MAME, which is a problem since it is mapped to semicolon/colon, so I cannot type a colon anymore. The bad thing is that I cannot remap the key, because it is not sensed anymore, not even in the QSD menu. In all other applications, it still works.

The problem seems to come from an update of the IBus component ("Intelligent Input Bus") in Linux. Version 1.5.28 works fine, 1.5.29 shows this issue. You should either block the update of IBus, or avoid updates until this is fixed.

This may also affect French or other language-specific keyboards.

• Sad 1

On 12/15/2023 at 12:13 AM, mizapf said:

I now tried it on my Raspberry 4, and there I do have V3D. Maybe you are using an older Raspberry OS. What does "uname -rm" say? For me it's "6.1.21-v8+ aarch64".

Edit: @arcadeshopperIs that the Linux image for the TIPI? If so, there may be problems with the MAME executable that was built on Linux versions that were newer or had more libraries installed. If you want to use your Raspberry for both MAME and TIPI, I'd recommend to do a normal Linux installation and then try to enable TIPI on it, instead of trying to get MAME running on the TIPI build.

I just did that and mame wont run at all..

installed newest install from pi imager of 64 bit bookworm

did tipi manual install (after a bunch of dependencies that changed in bookworm got that working) and set to emulation mode

downloaded your 64 bit rpios mame build off whtech, wont work..  I assume its video related  I'll get the errors in a bit

sudo apt-get install mame  -  same errors

BGFX: Error getting SDL window info: That operation is not supported
Setting BGFX platform data failed
BGFX library initialization failed

2 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

sudo apt-get install mame  -  same errors

I'd recommend not to use apt; I don't know which release of MAME they offer in the repository. The release you can get from WHTech is likely more recent.

Did you try this: sudo apt install libsdl2-ttf-2.0-0