IGNORED

New MAME release

mizapf

There is a new release, 0.267. The only change interesting for us is that I fixed the crash with the EVPC when a cartridge is inserted (ti99_4ev).

If you're interested, I can create a TI-99 built again, otherwise we can probably stay with 0.266 for a while longer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

There is a new release, 0.267. The only change interesting for us is that I fixed the crash with the EVPC when a cartridge is inserted (ti99_4ev).

If you're interested, I can create a TI-99 built again, otherwise we can probably stay with 0.266 for a while longer.

thanks for quick fixing.

@mizapf

Michael,

I thought I would report issues I am having with MAME and the TIPI.  As I resolve the LOAD-TIP update I am working on, I have been using MyWord to edit source.

Occasionally, I have MyWord report with an error during the loading of a DIS/VAR 80 file from the TIPI.  When this happens, only part of the file is loaded.

At other times, when I save a file from MyWord, MyWord locks up.

It isn't frequent, but happens with enough frequency say about 1 every 20 times.

Beery

• Sad 1

Thanks for reporting. I've been tracing that (or a similar) kind of issue with Tim for a while now; it is one of those freaky edge cases that cannot easily be reproduced, and which defies all simple explanations.

The thing is that I'm using a 3rd party lib (embedded in the MAME source tree) for the socket connection, and it is unclear when, where, and how the problem is caused.

• Like 1

I just started messing with the Linux version of MAME and I come across an odd, thing? when I try to turn on the TIMODE in the menu in MAME it just reboots the emulator and never turns the TIMODE on. Like I said, I just started messing with the MAME linux that I got from downloading within Linux lite, so I may be doing something wrong. But, the other DIP switches seem to work so I'm a little perplexed.

• Sad 1

Never Mind, I think I figured it out. My CFG path was messed up. Not sure why the other DIP switch worked but TIMODE didn't but anyway it seems to work now.

Being a Microsoft dyed-in-the-wool dude I screwed up with the way Linux spreads files all around the OS; MAME was in ETC, USR, $HOME, USR/MAME and figuring out what was what was a bit of a challenge. SO, I rewrote the ETC/mame.ini and moved everything to HOME$/MAME. Also another Linux 'thing' was remembering that file names and directories are case sensitive and having to be sure I change the rights depending on the directory.

But, i'll get over it.

Next is writing BASH files like the batch files I use in Windows so can autorun without using the UI.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mizapf said:

Thanks for reporting. I've been tracing that (or a similar) kind of issue with Tim for a while now; it is one of those freaky edge cases that cannot easily be reproduced, and which defies all simple explanations.

The thing is that I'm using a 3rd party lib (embedded in the MAME source tree) for the socket connection, and it is unclear when, where, and how the problem is caused.

Yeah, that issue is a big issue for anyone wanting to use the TIPI with MAME.  I question whether there are an TI-99/4A users using the TIPI with MAME that have reported any issues as I know Tim and I are ones that seem to push the envelope with the TIPI's potential on the Geneve outside of any work @jedimatt42 is doing for the 4A.

Beery

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hloberg said:

Never Mind, I think I figured it out. My CFG path was messed up. Not sure why the other DIP switch worked but TIMODE didn't but anyway it seems to work now.

Being a Microsoft dyed-in-the-wool dude I screwed up with the way Linux spreads files all around the OS; MAME was in ETC, USR, $HOME, USR/MAME and figuring out what was what was a bit of a challenge. SO, I rewrote the ETC/mame.ini and moved everything to HOME$/MAME. Also another Linux 'thing' was remembering that file names and directories are case sensitive and having to be sure I change the rights depending on the directory.

May I suggest that you better don't use the package manager of your Linux distribution to install MAME. When you use those,

a) paths are spread across the whole file system. MAME is one well-defined package of files; I dislike it when package organizers feel like putting this file into /usr, that one into /etc, and something else goes into your home.

b) you're likely some releases behind. MAME is updated every month, and I don't expect someone in package management to get the latest release each time. Last time I tried, the packaged release was half a year behind.

The better(TM) way in my view is

i) you get the Linux build that I uploaded to WHTech (see the paths some posts above)

ii) you run the mameprep script which gets all the TI-related software from WHTech and creates some start scripts. This script is contained in the Linux build package.

That is, you mkdir a directory in your home, drop the tarball in there, unpack it, run ./mameprep, and you're ready to go. Ah, and don't forget to uninstall the packaged MAME from your distribution. Whenever I have an update, you just unpack it over your last installation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thanks for the help. Little bit of a learning curve so it's needed. 👍

Now my next question. I can't seem to get TIIMAGETOOL to run. what I do under terminal is JAVA -JAR TIIMAGETOOL.JAR and then nothing happens?? just goes to the next prompt. no error or anything. Am I missing something?

btw, I, as they say, know just enough Linux to be dangerous. 😁

8 minutes ago, mizapf said:

This should have given you an error message like "java: command not found" after your first attempt.

looks like java was installed just not the JRE.

just installed WINE. so far most of my 'Windows only' programs seem to run. nice.

Normally, the java executable is part of the JRE. What I could imagine is that you may have had gcj on your system (the GNU Compiler for Java). This was an alternative Java implementation, but was never complete, and could have effects like the one you witnessed. gcj is long abandoned, but may be still installed by default on some distributions.

There are still two major Java distributions, the original from Sun ... ehm ... Oracle (Oracle JVM), and OpenJDK. Unless you have some very special, cursed libraries or programs that require sinister addon packages from Oracle, always take OpenJDK. That is, avoid Oracle Java. Really.

For TIImageTool, you can use any Java version from 8 upward. In the TIImageTool thread you can find this hassle that we had because I built it for Java 9 and higher, only to learn that most people have Java 8 on their system. However, when I build it now, I'm getting warnings that the "8" option will be phased out in foreseeable future, so this issue will probably return.

• Like 2

I've found this Linux Lite to be less than complete in several areas so I'm not surprised about it having gcl and not the full java. but, on the other hand, it being incomplete has forced me to trouble shot several issues and made me learn a lot more than if I got a complete finished ubuntu package.

btw, I did install the OpenJDK, I think.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2024 at 2:27 PM, 9640News said:

Yeah, that issue is a big issue for anyone wanting to use the TIPI with MAME.  I question whether there are an TI-99/4A users using the TIPI with MAME that have reported any issues as I know Tim and I are ones that seem to push the envelope with the TIPI's potential on the Geneve outside of any work @jedimatt42 is doing for the 4A.

Beery

Copying a lot of files seems to trigger the lock, as does some consecutive accessing of files.  

What I see through debugging is that at some point the length byte presented to the TIPI DSR is incorrect, and is possibly a value from the previous packet.  I can’t tell where the information is corrupted nor have I found a way to predictably cause the issue.

If the byte is too large, the DSR continues to look for more data than is available and gets stuck in the receive loop within the DSR. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1