IGNORED

The Gizzle Wap and the Terrible Blizzard of Firn (final)

Mountain King

Update 37:Squashing bugs and moving forward, well mainly squashing bugs.

1. Fixed a bug where the blue Bunipy gets stuck

2. Fixed a bug where the Blood Finch gets stuck

3. The Blood Finch does more damage but is weaker.

4. The Moum Moum will fly to you no matter where you are after eating the Fraze plant. He no longer teleports to you.

5. The Gizzle Wap no longer sits on the camp fire after defeating the Blood Finch.

6. Firn vortex increase in number and size as you progress through levels.

7. The number of creature required to save increases as the level increases.

8. After beating a level you will start nearby the place where you defeated the blood finch.

9. You can no longer back track and keep digging in a known spot where you saved a victim. You must keep going.

I need to balance the difficulty. I haven't gotten past level 2 yet.

Gizzle Blizzard37.bas.bin

post-17-0-95161100-1513489163_thumb.png

Edited by Mountain King
  • Like 1

Update 39:Eagle eyes and sushi

1. There is a slight chance when scavenging for food you will find "sushi" which will heal both the Gizzle Wap and the Moum Moum.

2. Defeat the sleepy ghost and he will enhance the Moum Moum's sight until the end of the level. A pair of eyes will appear near the Moum Moum's life bar. He can now see things buried even at the apex of his flight. It will make things easier to find.

3. The Blood Finch really is fixed this time.

4. The title screen is animated and the "Press fire to start" has been removed.

Gizzle Blizzard39.bas.bin

post-17-0-81294800-1513681937_thumb.png

post-17-0-45048300-1513681947_thumb.png

Edited by Mountain King
  • Like 3

Update 42:The Salubrious Stones or Almost ready for Beta

1. During the holiday in Sundra it is customary to leave a gift wrapped Salubrious Stone for friends and loved ones under a tree. It symbolizes good health and protection. They have magical properties. Anything buried under a tree commemorates the turning point in the Second Cataclysmic war. If the Gizzle Wap finds one he will be able to protect himself and the Moum Moum from the firn vortex by disrupting its flight path. Pull down on the joystick to use it's power. There will be a "shield" icon near Gizzle Wap's health bar. Note the magic will eventually wear out.

2. The score now displays correctly in the Leaf font.

3. The game will loop back to the title screen after a minute or so during the game over screen.

4. Pressing the reset switch should work properly.

5. Fixed a bug where the Blue Bunipy would hop out of reach.

6. Fixed a bug where the eagle eye icon appeared at the top of the screen.

Gizzle Blizzard42.bas.bin

post-17-0-48810600-1513909697_thumb.png

post-17-0-98622500-1513909718_thumb.png

Edited by Mountain King
  • Like 2

Ok. I love this game. I really really love this game. It's got tons of polish and attention to detail and is a lot of fun to play. The amount of growth since Strange Red Tree is impressive. I can't wait to own this on a cart. Wow.

One question, and please don't hate me, but is it critical to the game play that the bird cannot detect the buried creatures when it is at the top of the screen? My game is a whole lot of go-stop-go-stop as I wait for him to sink back down to near the GW's head. Does that lend significant difficulty or challenge to the game play that would not be there if he could detect creatures the whole time?

:spidey:

One question, and please don't hate me, but is it critical to the game play that the bird cannot detect the buried creatures when it is at the top of the screen?

Hey Stan, first thing I will never hate you for you opinion of my work. I actually value your criticism it only helps improve the game. As for the bird, I found that you can sit there and spam the dig button which took away from the challenge of actually searching. But I do understand your point about the stop and go game play. Which is why I added the power up of the eagle eyes so the Moum Moum will sing at his full height. I am trying to balance the game play and I could make the power up easier to obtain. Right no you basically have a 1 in 8 chance to find a ghost which will give the Moum Moum eagle eyes. I can increase it to 1 in 4 if you think that will help the game play.

Again your comments are always welcome Stan. Don't ever feel bad about saying anything negative about my work as long as it's constructive.

Thank you. I am glad you are enjoying the game.

Update 45: I really should be getting ready for Christmas

1. Added broccoli. This will give the Moum Moum Eagle Eyes as well as the ghost.

2. Pressing reset works correctly now. It really does.

3. Fixed a bug that affected the power ups. Var8 is really funky. Avoid if all possible.

4. The Vortex appearance scales with difficulty.

5. Days get shorter as the level increases.

6. Number of hits required to defeat the blood finch increases as the level goes up.

7. Re positioned the power up icons.

8. The Salubrious Stone wrappings will vary in color.

9. The dog will appear white as well as yellow.

I need to get back to work. Merry Christmas everyone!

Gizzle Blizzard45.bas.bin

post-17-0-04676100-1514125660_thumb.png

Ok. I must have missed the note about the Eagle Eyes or just failed to understand what it did. Now that I understand that better, I take back the note about Moum Moum flying up. it works just fine as is and I don't think you need to up the frequency of the power-up appearance either.

This is also helped by 4. in the latest update. I was getting constant vortices in an early build and that combined with trying to keep the MM in the middle of the sky was frustrating. Now with no vortices in the first level and then occasional ones in the later levels, scaling, there is plenty of time to get your MM technique worked out before you have to contend with enemies. Likewise with the vortices in the later levels, you don't notice the stop and go aspect of keeping the MM up because you are already stopping to dodge the vortices. This creates a much better balance.

I managed to get to Level 4 this time around. I need to get the hang of using the shield.

Having so much fun!

More notes (sorry, it looks like I'm going to be playing this all day today...)

I've noticed some star oddities:

Sometimes the star appears in the sky before I get the map. Is that intentional?

Sometimes after getting the map the star appears as 3 stars and sometimes it appears as a long dash instead of a dot. This will persist intermittently until I reach the impact point and sometimes 3 stars or the dash will fall in place of the proper dot star (see pictures)

Also, I am still finding creatures buried after I get the map and are seeking the star impact point. Is that intentional and is it just for points or are they necessary to save?

Made it to level 5, but man, those vortices get really tough.

After playing more and more, I think the Eagle Eye should come from the ghost OR the broccoli, but not both. Makes it too easy to get. Also, if I find a ghost after I already have the EE power, does saving it count as saving a creature toward solving the level? Should the EE power have a usage limit like the shield? If that were the case then maybe keeping two ways to regain it may not be a bad idea.

Finally, would it be ok if I made a short little "quick start guide" for this game to help people who are just getting into the game? I know a bestiary and a short summary of game play would have helped me.

Thanks

post-409-0-50073500-1514147785_thumb.png

post-409-0-89956600-1514147806_thumb.png

Edited by StanJr

More notes (sorry, it looks like I'm going to be playing this all day today...)

Wow,you've been busy. I hope it isn't taking you away from holiday things.

I've noticed some star oddities:

I think I let loose a monster, ;)

Sometimes the star appears in the sky before I get the map. Is that intentional?

Yes that is intentional. It will appear right before you get the map.

Sometimes after getting the map the star appears as 3 stars and sometimes it appears as a long dash instead of a dot. This will persist intermittently until I reach the impact point and sometimes 3 stars or the dash will fall in place of the proper dot star (see pictures)

Yes, this is a bug on the lower priority list. It has to do with the NUSIZ register and Virtual sprites of the DPC kernal. You will notice 3 stars will always appear when there are 3 shrubs in the foreground. I'm still debating on how to fix this.

Also, I am still finding creatures buried after I get the map and are seeking the star impact point. Is that intentional and is it just for points or are they necessary to save?

Neither, right now they are superfluous and just a way to get extra points.

Made it to level 5, but man, those vortices get really tough.

Yeah 3 Vorticies are hard to avoid.I am considering capping difficulty, but when is still up in the air.

After playing more and more, I think the Eagle Eye should come from the ghost OR the broccoli, but not both. Makes it too easy to get. Also, if I find a ghost after I already have the EE power, does saving it count as saving a creature toward solving the level? Should the EE power have a usage limit like the shield? If that were the case then maybe keeping two ways to regain it may not be a bad idea.

Ghosts and crabs do not contribute to the save count. They are creature who are content where they are and do not want to be disturbed. I was considering making EE limited use. But I liked it too much. I am considering adding another power that turns back time slightly that could replace the ghost EE or the broccoli.

Finally, would it be ok if I made a short little "quick start guide" for this game to help people who are just getting into the game? I know a bestiary and a short summary of game play would have helped me.

I was actually going to start a rough draft of the instructions, but if you wish to do something you may.

Thanks Stan for noting these things. When playtesting myself I get stuck in ruts and bad habits and don't always see things that might be a problem. Other's point of view is helpful.

Update 49:Time is the focus

1. Revamped the difficulty progression. It still needs a lot more testing.

a. Lessened the amount of creatures needed to be saved per level

b. Decreases the distance to the "x" per level. (it is random and it still scales)

c. The sun moves across the sky faster shortening the days

2. Save a Lef creature and the sun will move back a bit to give you a little more time.

3. The sky now has a visual ceiling during the day.

4. The Invicta Prime is the boss at level 8 and replaces the Blood Finch. (If you made it to the last level in the Strange Red Tree you know what he look like. level 8 is tough though)

5. The firn vortex now continues to spins when it flies off screen.

6. Disabled the scoring at the moment. I will be revamping this as well.

Gizzle Blizzard49.bas.bin

post-17-0-99286200-1514378141_thumb.png

Edited by Mountain King
  • Like 1

I got a game with the new update wherein the X appeared right where I was standing when I got the map. The star would not fall until I left the area and the arrow appeared. Upon returning to the X area, the star fell. Not sure if this is problematic, but thought it worth reporting.

Definitely noticing a difference in the day/night change in terms of difficulty.

A couple more notes from the field:

I had one game where I defeated the Blood Finch (great boss villain) facing right and did not turn around when he turned into the campfire. Extremely minor, but maybe you want to know that.

Also, I had a game where I was heading back to find the star drop point when I dug up a ghost. It got stuck on the left side of the screen and I could not reach him to dig a hole nor could I advance the screen. No action could get the ghost unstuck or advance the screen. This was a game killer.

post-409-0-72107700-1514417563_thumb.png

post-409-0-61112800-1514417570_thumb.png

Basic Instructions (for those just joining in)

You control the combo of the Gizzle Wap (teardrop shaped guy) and Moum Moum (cute little bird). You must travel the forest digging up creatures buried by the blizzard. The Moum Moum tweets when it spots a creature and the Gizzle Wap digs them up. The Moum Moum cannot detect creatures at the top of the screen or while on the Gizzle Wap's head. You dig in the spot where the MM tweets. Find enough creatures and a map will appear. Pick it up and follow the arrow until it turns into an X. A star will fall from the sky and land on the X. Dig there and the boss enemy (Blood Finch) will appear. When he dives to attack, dig a hole for him to fall into. Repeat until he is defeated. At higher levels you must also watch out for a winter vortex that flies through the sky, it will drain HP.

Things to know:

Some creatures will pop up and sit or run about. To save them you must touch them, then the MM will carry them to safety. Some creatures will run about crazy like and sometimes ding you for HP. You must dig a hole for them to fall into, then touch them so the MM can carry them off. Some creatures do not want to be dug up and will attack. Dig a hole for them to fall into and they will go back to sleep and leave you alone. If you dig up a ghost, dig a hole for him to fall into and he will give you the power to detect creatures from the highest point in the sky.

You can dig under trees to find HP refills for both the Gizzle Wap and the Moum Moum. You can also find a shield that can "stun" the winter vortices causing them to move straight across the screen. It has limited use.

Time passes as you search. If you take too long the night will get too cold and you will freeze.

If you take too much damage from creatures or winter vortices you will die. If one member of the duo dies, the game is over, so keep both characters HP up.

That should get everyone up and going on gameplay so far. There are other nuances and details, but these are the basics to get you playing and you should play because this is a really good game.

• Like 2

Update 53:The safe zone:or I did so much in this update I can't remember everything I did.

1. The ghost no longer gets stuck. Thanks Stan.

2. The "star" no longer makes multipless of itself and behaves as I intended. When you reach the "x" the star will come to the ground and become a portal to the safe zone where the blood finch is hiding. (i have not tested the spawning at the "x" bug since the "x" is supposed to be random) Thanks again Stan.

3. The Gizzle Wap approaches the campfire correctly. He no longer sits on it and no longer ignores it.

4. The first tree is now a Moum Moum hut. This is where the Moum Moum takes the survivors.

5. The foreground sprites now randomly switch from hill to shrubs to frozen pond.

6. The broccoli has been replaced with a time twig. A time twig will shift time backwards a few ticks. It's not quite as powerful as the Lef, but every second counts.

7. The Lef's time shift power has been increased 50%

8. The Gizzle Wap will hunker down when using a Salubrious Stone.

9. Fixed a bug that made things screwy on real hardware.

10. Adjusted food items and power ups to reduce flicker.

I think there might be more but I can't remember.

11. I remember now. The trees become silhouettes at night.

post-17-0-45602500-1514679057_thumb.png

post-17-0-64909100-1514679067_thumb.png

post-17-0-82343000-1514679075_thumb.png

Gizzle Blizzard53.bas.bin

Edited by Mountain King
  • Like 1

Update 57:Firn firn the dangerous storm

1. The firn vortexes can move in all directions.

2. Vortexes will appear in boss fights after level 1

3. The score has been replaced by clues to the riddle of the Fraez. There are 7 clues, Unlock a clue by defeating a boss.

Current Bin file is in the first post.

Oh I don't know. I like scores, but let's see how this plays with the code. The initial problem with a code instead of a score is that there is really only one goal: beat the game. So if you aren't very good at the game, you won't have much to show for playing it and not beating it. You can't say, "I only made it to level 4, but I saved a lot of animals and got 26,344 points."

But that's all just theory at this point. :spidey:

Played a couple of hours today. Here are some notes from the snowfield:

The blue bunipy can be very tricky to get in the hole. Is there a strategy I am not doing correctly? Occasionally he hops right in, but often he hops to the hole, but does not fall in. If this is just an aspect of the gameplay no worries, but if it's not executing correctly, I thought you'd want to know.

Vortices during the Blood Finch battle are definitely increasing the difficulty of those battles. This isn't a bad thing, but maybe they should start after level 3 or so to ramp the difficulty a little better? I certainly got better after multiple games, but the first few were instant death unless I had full health.

Does the number of creatures to be saved increase by 1 per level? It seems like that's what's happening, but I'm not sure. Could that be more randomized? Say level 1 you must save 3-5, level 2 4-6, and so on? Would add some variety. Not crucial, just a thought.

Do additional packages re-up your shield's duration if you acquire them while in possession of the shield?

The time reset twig is a great addition to the game! And it helps balance not getting the Eagle Eye as much.

Trees are currently giving unlimited power-ups. You can dig the same tree forever and get as many power-ups as you want. This makes the game too easy.

Going left creatures spawn in the center of the screen not from the hole you dig. (see picture) Going right they seem to spawn from the area near the hold, but not going left.

I had something really odd happen in one game. Any time I picked up a present, the shield power and icon would disappear the minute I passed the tree I dug it up from. If I was traveling right and the present appeared on the left of the tree, I could pick it up and use the shield as long as I didn't pass the tree. But if I passed the tree, the shield and its icon would vanish. If I was traveling left, I could pick up the present from either side of the tree and continue going left, the shield and icon would remain. If I was traveling right and the present appeared on the right of the tree, the shield icon would appear very briefly and then vanish. This happened the entire game, but only this specific play through. Very odd.

Shield does not work during the Blood Finch boss fight. This makes me sad.

The star will occasionally still appear as a rainbow colored dash sometimes (see picture). I cannot determine what causes this.

Occasionally the Moum Moum will land and get stuck behind the Gizzle Wap on the ground. The GW completely obscures the MM so it looks like he's alone. (see picture) I've had this happen when the MM is eating or when struck by vortices.

After much consideration, I think I like the score best. Without spamming the trees I have not yet been past level 4, so just getting 4 icons at the bottom of the screen for my efforts isn't overly rewarding. If you can work out a way to keep the code as well and make it a special pay off for beating the game, all the better, but I think I prefer score.

Hope this helps!

post-409-0-68176400-1515005369_thumb.png

post-409-0-44315800-1515005385_thumb.png

post-409-0-04174800-1515005395_thumb.png