IGNORED

Some 800 items up for offers, including unused Incognito

Larry

I think I'm going to get rid of some 800 items. Here's what comes to mind (and I'll post pictures later).

800 working, but yellowed

Incognito, never installed.

Mosaic 64K expander board

Bit 3 80-column board.

Another 32K memory board.

Give me some tentative offers via PM, and I'll see if it's worth the trouble to get the beast out and test the boards. Incognito stands on its own -- it is unused so goes as it came to me from Candle.

-Larry

• Like 1

Have received several replies thus far. Will decide by the end of next week and contact the "winner(s)" to see if they are still interested. BTW, PayPal only for any payment(s).

A couple of folks have asked about the Bit 3. The users manual is already posted here in Post #5:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/254189-bit-3-full-view-80-troubleshooting-and-repair/?hl=bit+board&do=findComment&comment=3540246

Got the 800 and boards out yesterday and started testing. Learned and re-learned several things in the process.

1. The incognito is still in the original zip-lock bag. The inner anti-static(?) plastic sleeve with the Incognito board appears never opened.

2. Several folks have expressed interest in the Bit 3. Remember that this was designed for a monochrome composite monitor, so your success with newer monitors will be "iffy." For instance, see the attached pics.

......The first pic is the 800 with the normal 40-column Atari screen. The Bit 3 is in there -- it just is not active.

......The second pic has the 80-column mode active. Notice that it barely syncs with my ATI capture card. It does sync better in 80-col with another LCD TV/Monitor using the AV input (of component input), but it looks really ugly with the color active. On those old monitors, they typically have horizontal and vertical hold and verrtical size adjustments on the outside making stabilizing the display much easier. That said, these Bit 3 displays look great on an Amdek (or similar) monitor. I had an amber Andek, and it was terrific. Remember, this is LUMA only, so the display will be gray-scale on any type of a color monitor. BTW, the 80-col board comes with a Bit 3 "FullView" 32K memory board since one of the slots is taken by the 80-col board, so you still have 48K No box, but the manual is included.

3. I cannot test the Mosaic 64K ram select card, since I have no 400 computer. The box says specifically 400/800, but the manual only shows the installation for a 400. There are several descriptions on Google about this board, so you might look and see if any can be helpful in installing it in an 800. The memory management makes this an interesting beast! As an added inducement, I'll throw in an unused 800 style 512K SRAM card. (This was linked in a recent thread where someone wanted to do a DIY 512K board.)

4. I couldn't help but show a pic of the 800 display. When I removed the Bit 3, I inserted a Tara 32K board. The display of this 800 is (IMO) spectacular! So it is 48K with one slot open.

...more pics to be added of the boxes, etc.

Edit: here is a zip with some pics of the boards, box, etc.

post-8008-0-58078600-1480771794_thumb.jpg

post-8008-0-75633200-1480771811_thumb.jpg

post-8008-0-93046200-1480771848_thumb.jpg

800 boards pics.zip

• Like 1

ATI capture card?

I have tried several as in three different capture boxes (2 HDMI and one Component) with the end result that the signal couldn't sync, thereby no capture. Perhaps I need to find one that accepts s-video in.

awwww... don't tell him!!

Play nice Bob or I'll tattle on you :P

post-6369-0-34216000-1440225664.jpg

I do something like this... camera on tripod, room lights off :-D Perhaps I need to switch to manual mode and set stuff differently :?

- Michael

I have tried several as in three different capture boxes (2 HDMI and one Component) with the end result that the signal couldn't sync, thereby no capture. Perhaps I need to find one that accepts s-video in.

Michael, years ago I took an old Sony Digital8 camcorder and connected an A8 computer to its Svideo input and then firewire to a laptop. The video quality was great, but I ended up not using it as a monitor due to the firewire latency which drove me crazy. If you have an old D8 cam laying around though I bet it would do a fine job capturing stills on a pc/mac.

• Like 1

Michael, years ago I took an old Sony Digital8 camcorder and connected an A8 computer to its Svideo input and then firewire to a laptop. The video quality was great, but I ended up not using it as a monitor due to the firewire latency which drove me crazy. If you have an old D8 cam laying around though I bet it would do a fine job capturing stills on a pc/mac.

That's exactly what I've done, except I sent the composite signal to the camcorder while the chroma/luma went into the 1702. That way I could play without latency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Great idea! Gives me something to look for when I visit thrift shops with my wife (don't presently have D8 to use).

- Michael

Larry how do you capture such a clean picture from your monitor? I can't get a decent pic no matter what camera I use. And yes that 3rd pic of the stock 800 display is spectacular indeed !

- Michael

Hi Michael-

Yes, it is the ATI that gives great results. I started using them in the 90's. I have always used the All-in-Wonder video card which has the nice multimedia inputs/features. The functionality of the cards has always stayed essentially the same, but the on-board ram and speed of the video response has certainly changed. However ATI made a change around 2010 that made it impossible to use the AIW with vintage hardware -- they started buffering the inputs so that there is now a noticeable display lag with the multimedia inputs.I don't know if they ever fixed this or not.

I also had good luck with Hauppauge Win-TV. They are good folks to deal with, because if you tell them what you want to use the card for (retro, etc), they will tell you what still works that will meet your needs. And of course, eBay is still filled with older devices of both brands -- cheap. They also had the only card I found that could properly display the XEP80 without overscanning the borders (barely)

One problem that I have is "technology creep" -- although it is easy to find a mobo that still has older PCI slots, you just can't find drivers for Win7 and beyond. As a result, I still use Win XP for my "Atari (support) PC", and I'm kinda stuck in the early 2000's with that PC.

-Larry

• Like 3

Thanks for the Mosaic photos and article. May I ask for a clearer photo of the chip side, so that the chip numbers are legible? I would like to draw up a schematic of the board.

Ill try. Lighting is an issue, but i should be able to get some better photos with a real camera.

Larry

Final update...

The winning offer(s) have been accepted and the purchaser(s) notified. For those that made an offer and didn't get the item(s) you wanted, sorry, but I received some excellent offers and took them. The 800 is still available, but no one even bid on it.

Thanks for your interest.

-Larry

• Like 3