IGNORED

Tanglewood Kickstarter

adamchevy

Man it's like $13 on Steam and includes the ROM for you to put on your everdrive and play on a real genesis. I'm all about carts but man it's hard to pass that up vs $85 and a potentially long wait.

I can say with complete confidence that if Tanglewood had been released in the early to mid 90's it would have gone down in history as one of the Genesis's defining titles. It's a master course in game design that every fan of the system owes it to themselves to play, so if you're not down to spend $85 on a physical copy then by all means get a digital copy on Steam and play it off your EverDrive. Just be warned though that if you end up liking Tanglewood even half as much as I did then you may find yourself handing over the $85 for a physical copy anyway.

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

Man it's like $13 on Steam and includes the ROM for you to put on your everdrive and play on a real genesis. I'm all about carts but man it's hard to pass that up vs $85 and a potentially long wait.

As I recall getting a copy of the rom to play via emulation etc wasn't part of the original planned PC release. It was only because Steam (Valve) wouldn't allow them to release the rom on its own or some such that they went the route they did by actually making the PC version a standalone emulator specifically for playing this one game. That way they were able to get a digital release for PC users to play and help get the word out with the benefit of getting the rom into the hands of those that purchased it as well.

As for the costs..yeah it is a bit high, but to be honest many new homebrews are these days. I think I paid about the same for Xenocrisis, and I know I paid close to that for my copy of Escape 2042 I got from Orion last year. Have you looked at the costs for new Intellivision homebrews? Pretty much the same when you get the shipping in there. So I think this is just a reality of the costs going forward.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

The highest I could possibly buy a genesis board for a game is $10 bucks. Not including shell and label, obviously. Most people don't pay that much by sourcing new bare boards + soldering skills. Even cheaper than that is scavenging old genesis games and replacing the chips.

I have no knowledge of other peoples costs. But, it seems $85 dollars is still premium tier stuff. I really hope it isn't the new norm.

I can say with complete confidence that if Tanglewood had been released in the early to mid 90's it would have gone down in history as one of the Genesis's defining titles. It's a master course in game design that every fan of the system owes it to themselves to play, so if you're not down to spend $85 on a physical copy then by all means get a digital copy on Steam and play it off your EverDrive. Just be warned though that if you end up liking Tanglewood even half as much as I did then you may find yourself handing over the $85 for a physical copy anyway.

Well, the company making it probably would have been bankrupt by time it came out, given how long the project took to develop. Not criticizing, but there's a reason production games had short project time lines measured in months at a time.

Further temptation for those on the fence about picking up a physical copy:

38Y1VgZ.jpg

I didn't think to take a picture of it when I was doing the photo shoot, but one really neat touch is that the back of the cart has the Big Evil Corp. logo embossed in it where you'd normally find the Sega, Konami, etc. logo, so they did actually go through the trouble of having the cartridge shells for Tanglewood custom manufactured rather than just using a generic aftermarket cart shell. :)

Edited by Jin

I went back and forth about whether to buy the physical version or not, and I just went with the Steam version as well. Physical carts are nice to have, but I already have an issue with having enough space to store my physical games, and then there is the convenience of not needing to switch carts to play the game.

I didn't think to take a picture of it when I was doing the photo shoot, but one really neat touch is that the back of the cart has the Big Evil Corp. logo embossed in it where you'd normally find the Sega, Konami, etc. logo, so they did actually go through the trouble of having the cartridge shells for Tanglewood custom manufactured rather than just using a generic aftermarket cart shell. :)

I think if you take a look, you will see the Big Evil Corp logo is also embossed into the clamshell case inside as well. So everything they had done was custom. I believe the same is being done for Xenocrisis as well and I'm anxious to play that game once it gets released.

I can understand the issues people have paying the asking prices for these games. But we all have to realize that in the case of Genesis homebrews it costs more in general for everything. Sure they could have used a cheap flash cart to put their code into, used fairly cheap snap together cartridge shells and cheap clamshell or universal game cases. But BEC didn't want to do that. They wanted their first Gen/MD release to stand out on its own and they wanted to go full out with it. Is it the norm? I can't say ...

You can still get some homebrews that are excellent that cost less as I own a few of those too. But I don't look at my Tanglewood game package sitting in front of me and wonder..."Where did my money go?" I know full well and it shows.

But yes the costs on homebrews are getting expensive and it isn't isolated to the Genesis/MD homebrews either.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to playing through this. It's a very nice, polished game. Anyone know if collecting all the fireflies opens up anything (a different ending, maybe?).

Pretty sure that is a yes on this. Though I've not gone back to try and replay the levels to collect them all myself. I was about 10 shy on my first run through of the game I think?

Seeing this on the CRT via component is just... perfect.

I'm glad to read this post and the other positive comments.

During its extensive beta testing phase, I did lots of tests on different CRT TVs and using different connections; component being one of them.

I suggested some palette changes/fixes based on my tests and then Matt reviewed my feedback and asked the artist responsible for that to make some adjustments so the game would look as good as possible on CRT.

The guy who developed the 240p test suite was also one of the beta testers. Lots of really cool people among the testers by the way.

I'm very partial to Chapter 3's pixel art; the texturing on the wooden parts is just amazing; some of the best looking tiles on MD games in that level IMHO.

@price discussion

Keep in mind you're not paying for production costs only and even those are higher than the ones in releases by Piko, SFT, MegaCat Studio, etc. because of the higher quality materials used.

The most of the cost is related to its actual development. Tanglewood is not a prototype found in the wild and released in cartridge form; it was completely developed in 68000 assembly with custom made tools, newly developed editors and a fixed-a-thousand-times 90s Mega CD devkit.

On top of that, staff was actually paid to work on it unlike some other fruit named *cough* company has done in recent years.

This is the staff involved in the development of the game other than Matt himself:

- Armen Mardirrossian (@ ArmenMARD80 on Twitter), leading character artist.
Worked on "Solar Pier" and "Paprium".
- Krzysztof Matys (Koyot1222 on demozoo.org), character artist and finalization.
He worked on "VilQ Adventure", "Masiaka", and "Tanks Furry".
- Matthew Weekes (@matwekpixel on Twitter), environment artist.
He worked on "Freedom Planet" and "Kynseed."
- Nathan Stanley (@freezedream on Twitter), composer YM2612 and sound effects creator.
He released a sonic cartridge for Mega Drive called "Today" in 2010 and most recently released the album "Arrival".
- Javier "Sik" Degirolmo (@Sikthehedgehog on Twitter) - Developer.

He worked on "Miniplanets", "Overdrive" and "Overdrive 2".

Matt also hired a company to professionally test the game.

Production had several kinds of issues and lots of headaches.

All of that and literally thousands of hours of hardwork is what is included in its price. I agree that it's not cheap and at first also thought he was pricing it too high, but having briefly worked with Matt on this project I can assure you he barely made any money with it while working as a madman on it.

Matt also worked on several games of the Lego series, he's very, very talented and a AAA professional. For those who could afford the physical release, be assured that your money is in good hands now and we'll probably be seeing even better games coming from Big Evil Corporation in the next years.

Edited by Barone
  • Like 1

@price discussion

Keep in mind you're not paying for production costs only and even those are higher than the ones in releases by Piko, SFT, MegaCat Studio, etc. because of the higher quality materials used.

And that was the route to take. After looking at the innards of some of Piko's releases, I'm not sure I ever want to own one. And it's clear from the discussion that ensued, Piko doesn't get it. Those folks buying physical cart releases probably don't want to buy products that are built in a way that could kill your system over time. So the high quality is warranted, and people forget that the economies of scale no longer work for Mega Drive / Genesis releases. The numbers just aren't there.

I didn't buy a physical copy, but it looks like something that people who collect carts would actually want to own, and it looks great.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

Boooo on the red Genesis label! Ha ha ha.

We were given options at the time of ordering regarding which label style we wanted. Since I own a Genesis, I chose the Genesis label. It was also possible to pay more and get a limited label and insert edition of the game. I'm okay with this and ordered what I wanted and received what I wanted and expected. It fits in quite well with my other games on the shelf.

• Like 2

We were given options at the time of ordering regarding which label style we wanted. Since I own a Genesis, I chose the Genesis label. It was also possible to pay more and get a limited label and insert edition of the game. I'm okay with this and ordered what I wanted and received what I wanted and expected. It fits in quite well with my other games on the shelf.

Ditto to all of that. When I ordered my copy I specifically requested a red Genesis label version, but you can get a black Mega Drive style version if that better suits your fancy. :)

• 1 month later...