IGNORED

Where to buy a reconditioned Atari 7800 these days?

Skippy B. Coyote

Hey there everyone. :)

After another fiasco with an eBay seller not properly packing a console and it arriving smashed I'm getting pretty fed up with trying to find a minty fresh like new condition Atari 7800 system on eBay, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good reliable place to order a reconditioned system from? Originally I was thinking about going with Best Electronics, but they don't sell systems anymore so I'm kind of at a loss for where to turn. Any suggestions?

Originally I was thinking about going with Best Electronics, but they don't sell systems anymore so I'm kind of at a loss for where to turn. Any suggestions?

Did you call Best and ask? Their website simply says that they're 'temporarily out of stock', not that I'd necessarily assume that their website is exactly up to date :) And the fact that they show just about every console as 'temporarily out of stock' may be an indicator. But if you haven't already it may be a good idea to call. It's kind of weird that they'd specifically call out 'temporarily' if they planned on getting out of the console game completely, right (?).

Did you call Best and ask? Their website simply says that they're 'temporarily out of stock', not that I'd necessarily assume that their website is exactly up to date :) And the fact that they show just about every console as 'temporarily out of stock' may be an indicator. But if you haven't already it may be a good idea to call. It's kind of weird that they'd specifically call out 'temporarily' if they planned on getting out of the console game completely, right (?).

Yep, I called and talked to Brad. He said that they've been so busy with orders that they couldn't keep up and had to cut some part of their business model, and that part ended up being reconditioned Atari systems. So they will not be selling any reconditioned 2600s, 7800s, 5200s, etc. for the foreseeable future.

You can always try a local retro gaming shop. It might be more expensive but at least you know it doesn't run the risk of getting damaged in shipping.

I've already been looking around locally for a good 2 or 3 months but none of the local stores around here ever get Atari 7800 systems in. They do get one or two Atari 2600s in a year, but never 7800s.

Keep on eye pealed on the Marketplace; posting in the Wanted sub-forum may help.

Besides ebay, there is Amazon too.

I haven't had any better luck with Amazon than eBay, and I've been watching the Marketplace for around 3 months as well but no systems in the kind of condition I'm looking for have come down the pipeline yet. I will keep looking though. :)

Has anyone tried ordering from B&C ComputerVisions recently? Their site looks pretty out of date and doesn't seem to have been updated since 2009, but they do appear to have like new reconditioned Atari 7800 systems.

Has anyone tried ordering from B&C ComputerVisions recently? Their site looks pretty out of date and doesn't appear to have been updated since 2009, but they do appear to have like new reconditioned Atari 7800 systems.

Last change 2/3/2016. ;)

HDA057        7800 GAME MACHINE Reconditioned $150.00
    Includes: Like new out of box game console, power pack,
    rf cable, 300ohm tv switch box & one game. No Joysticks!

Man that sucks Jin!

I Don't know what it is about 7800s! I have 3 and none are perfect...One has a very nice top but the bottom is cracked and missing some small plastic pieces...still works just fine and looks nice since you don't see the bottom; That's the spare one I'm selling (awaiting a reply actually),. Then I have 2 that I sent away to Canada to be modded. This was 12 or 14 years ago...Got nice A/V and S-Video mods done to both, but guess what? Even packed well, UPS managed to get the box smashed and the 2 consoles took a hit with one showing damage to the top of it! I actually just took a cash settlement as I recall, because I didn't want to have to wait to play 7800 again...And they play fine...And overall they're just a bit scratched up, not destroyed or anything...I barely notice anymore, But I've seen nicer looking ones...

It does seem unless you get a boxed version, it might be rough...And then the seller should pack it for the apocalypse and pray the Post Office or UPS do their jobs...It's funny I've had them deliver the most intricate, delicate things with no problems but a sturdy console can be damaged...It boggles the mind...I once got a Super Famicom game from Japan and the guy put in this little hand made origami paper crane "For Good Luck" and its wings weren't even folded!

And I understand what you guys are saying about ebay...I just saw one on there that was "console only", talking no hookups, no controllers, no games, no power supply ...UNTESTED, No Returns! $70! oh and he still had the audacity to charge ANOTHER $30+ for shipping!

I've usually had better luck on ebay than that though...LOL

The 7800 is made of super brittle plastic so that's why they get broken so often in transit. Same thing with most other Atari Corp. consoles and computers, especially the 2600 Jr.

Well, then I don't feel so bad that when I drilled the hole for the video mod I put in there, the plastic cracked. It was really weird: a chunk tore off from the inside, but not all the way through. It looks fine from the outside, but it's of course very, very weak and so I have to be careful with the cables.

I never had that happen with the other consoles I've modded similarly. I didn't know the 7800 plastic was more brittle.

Yep, I called and talked to Brad. He said that they've been so busy with orders that they couldn't keep up and had to cut some part of their business model, and that part ended up being reconditioned Atari systems. So they will not be selling any reconditioned 2600s, 7800s, 5200s, etc. for the foreseeable future.

I've already been looking around locally for a good 2 or 3 months but none of the local stores around here ever get Atari 7800 systems in. They do get one or two Atari 2600s in a year, but never 7800s.

I haven't had any better luck with Amazon than eBay, and I've been watching the Marketplace for around 3 months as well but no systems in the kind of condition I'm looking for have come down the pipeline yet. I will keep looking though. :)

Has anyone tried ordering from B&C ComputerVisions recently? Their site looks pretty out of date and doesn't seem to have been updated since 2009, but they do appear to have like new reconditioned Atari 7800 systems.

If you look at the itemized list on the B & C site you'll notice they are updated.

Hey guys, sounds like a couple of you are looking for a 7800. I have a few extras that aren't in incredible shape (the usual scratches on the metal band across the top, etc.) but that work and get the job done. Joysticks, too. I have a 7800 box, too, but it's admittedly not in great shape. Shoot me a PM if you'd like to learn more.

I guess I've been lucky. I bought a 7800 off Ebay 10 years ago and it came with the box and was in awesome condition. I did buy another unti,this one came from both Ebay and Best Electronics though. Originally I was told they they didn't carry anymore. But I asked if they could buy one from Ebay,I gave them a url of the actual 7800 I had been looking to buy there, and so the guy bought it and had it shipped to his address. I wired him the money as he modded it to AV and S video. It was one of those "as is" 7800s. Apparently they just cleaned it up abit and went about the mod.

The whole thing cost $90.00 for everything. Not bad at all. He caught me a break with some very cheap shipping because he had bought 3-4 7800's from this seller and so he just stocked up on them,so he was more than happy to give me a nice discount on shipping.

My point being maybe you could contact the site and ask them to do the same as they did for me? It took about 4 weeks to get it back as they were very busy modding other systems. But hey its worth a try,ask and see what they say.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 1

Alright! The problem has finally been solved! I just finished paying for an order from Lance at Video61 for a brand new condition Atari 7800 system with composite video output. It wasn't cheap but it will be a brand spanking new Atari 7800 with no problems of any kind and excellent picture quality. Big thanks to BTB for his recommendation of Video61! :D

Edited by Jin
  • Like 3

Alright! The problem has finally been solved! I just finished paying for an order from Lance at Video61 for a brand new condition Atari 7800 system with composite video output. It wasn't cheap but it will be a brand spanking new Atari 7800 with no problems of any kind and excellent picture quality. Big thanks to BTB for his recommendation of Video61! :D

Glad to hear it, Jin! I got super lucky at Goodwill on scoring my personal 7800. Basically brand new in box, etc. I run it through a VCR which acts as a demodulator so it connects to my TV with composite. Sounds like you've got a great setup through Video61! Enjoy!

• Like 2