IGNORED

Music editor for Coleco?

Darkhog

• 4 weeks later...

Vortex Tracker ( http://bulba.untergrund.net/vortex_e.htm ) is still the very best i know up to now (and it works fine on Wine, which is really great for GNU/Linux-only users like me) - it’s designed for ay-3-8910, but i think it’s not that hard converting the data generated from that (its default file format is txt-based tracker file) to sn76489

Edited by nitrofurano

• 4 months later...

Sorry if this is a bit of a necrobump but there's actually a proper SN7 tracker out there, based on Famitracker. https://github.com/HertzDevil/SnevenTracker/releases/

Not sure if there's a way of playing SN7 VGMs on the Coleco, but if there is or someone makes one then you could play music made in this on a real Coleco (or any other system that uses the SN7).

• Like 2

It' sa real nice interface. The included sample file sounds great. Can it import any music types?

There is a way to play vgm music on coleco so an expeort to a vgm file would be great. Can this open say nes files and convert them to sn7.

Sorry if this is a bit of a necrobump but there's actually a proper SN7 tracker out there, based on Famitracker. https://github.com/HertzDevil/SnevenTracker/releases/

Not sure if there's a way of playing SN7 VGMs on the Coleco, but if there is or someone makes one then you could play music made in this on a real Coleco (or any other system that uses the SN7).

It' sa real nice interface. The included sample file sounds great. Can it import any music types?

There is a way to play vgm music on coleco so an expeort to a vgm file would be great. Can this open say nes files and convert them to sn7.

There's no import function last time I checked, nor is there a way to convert NES music to SN7 music. You could always make a cover by ear though like most people have done (I linked one below). I might give that a shot sometime if I can be buggered to learn another chip to compose on :P

Edited by Noah120

There is an export to VGM alreayd, i just tested. go to Tracker Menu , and Log VGM file.

Then start playing the music , when you stop , you will have your VGM file.

The issue i have with SGM file for colecovision is that a music take too much rom space. At least with raw VGM .

Is there a location of more music to listen to or open in the program so I can get some ideas how they created that song.

That gyruss version for example or similar.

There's no import function last time I checked, nor is there a way to convert NES music to SN7 music. You could always make a cover by ear though like most people have done (I linked one below). I might give that a shot sometime if I can be buggered to learn another chip to compose on :P

The issue i have with SGM file for colecovision is that a music take too much rom space. At least with raw VGM .

I don't know about the SGM part of that, but raw VGM is why I created a compressor. (If it's using the SGM sound chips though, it won't help.)

http://www.harmlesslion.com/software/vgm

I've also got a really really hacky (but functional) NES to VGM converter. It runs in a hacked Winamp plugin and spits the raw data out to the debug console, so it's non-trivial to use. But the results are decent - PM me if you want it (and understand what I said well enough to use it ;) ).

• Like 1

I don't know about the SGM part of that, but raw VGM is why I created a compressor. (If it's using the SGM sound chips though, it won't help.)

http://www.harmlesslion.com/software/vgm

I've also got a really really hacky (but functional) NES to VGM converter. It runs in a hacked Winamp plugin and spits the raw data out to the debug console, so it's non-trivial to use. But the results are decent - PM me if you want it (and understand what I said well enough to use it ;) ).

Thanks , i will surely try your compressor and playback routine.

i know your NES to VGM converter plug'in for winamp. It is what i used for music and sound of Gnz in 2008. I had never realised that the output bytes was VGM in fact. .. lol!!

Thanks , i will surely try your compressor and playback routine.

i know your NES to VGM converter plug'in for winamp. It is what i used for music and sound of Gnz in 2008. I had never realised that the output bytes was VGM in fact. .. lol!!

Ahh! I knew someone had gotten that.... but you're right, that's not VGM format, that's just the raw sound bytes.

if you want a version that DOES output VGM, then, I'll be happy to hack that together. I'd been planning it anyway. (Disclaimer: IF I can still build the code for the plugin... my system has updated a few times and I can't build some old code anymore.)

• Like 1

Ahh! I knew someone had gotten that.... but you're right, that's not VGM format, that's just the raw sound bytes.

if you want a version that DOES output VGM, then, I'll be happy to hack that together. I'd been planning it anyway. (Disclaimer: IF I can still build the code for the plugin... my system has updated a few times and I can't build some old code anymore.)

Thanks a lot for your proposition, but i don't need that right now, and i think i have also the source of the plugin, if i remember well i add modified it too in the past.

What i would need it is more a tool that convert VGM to Coleco sound bios sound format. ( detecting pattern and organizing the right way to produce the melodie :) ) But it is not simple to do. :(

That one's not for me, I don't have any interest in the Coleco sound bios format. When I started it was too hard to find documentation on the BIOS code and I just bypassed it all.

But, the VGM format is very simple - no more complex than the byte stream out of my plugin (just with additional bytes thrown in between the actual data bytes). The docs for the format are at smspower here: http://www.smspower.org/Music/VGMFileFormat

Despite all the options, the real life files tend to be pretty straight forward. :)

Is there a location of more music to listen to or open in the program so I can get some ideas how they created that song.

That gyruss version for example or similar.

Just search "SnevenTracker" on youtube and you'll find a bunch of videos. This one has a .SNM file you can download if you wanna open it in the program; I can also make something real quick to show off a few features in it.