IGNORED

Testing the new Stella TIA core

stephena

Absolute's Title Match Pro Wresting - Significant scanline corruption when swinging opponent in the corner under Stella 5.0.0-Pre4. Slight scanline corruption when swinging opponent in the corner under Stella 4.7.3. No scanline corruption when swinging opponent in corner under real hardware.

post-18-0-59443800-1484950462_thumb.pngpost-18-0-10070000-1484950463_thumb.png

• Like 2

I do not know if this is an emulation problem or a game problem. Look at the mountain terrain and note how it changes as you move the ship left or right. There's a point where it shows some "distortion" too. Early 2.x versions of Stella and Z26 show the same thing.

post-4806-0-20760100-1484966730_thumb.pngpost-4806-0-88156400-1484966730_thumb.pngpost-4806-0-57559300-1484966731_thumb.pngpost-4806-0-47566600-1484966729_thumb.png

Edited by Keatah

I've come across about 15-20 demoscene demos that seem to work correctly in 4.7.3 and 3.9.3 equally well, but fail significantly in pre4. Various fail modes can be described as obvious graphic corruption, incorrect bit-map decoding, scrambled logo, scratchy or incorrect sound, ghosting where there should be smooth clear animation, random plasma lines where there should be solid color, bouncy or jittery background. One demo has a slowdown to 3/4th speed. And other similar types of fails.

If you all care about such things I'll make a zip file and you can see for yourself.

Edited by Keatah

Yes, please. If possible, with a brief description of the errors you noticed. Or just post them here, one by one. icon_smile.gif

Since most demos were developed without testing on real hardware, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them fail due to better emulation.

• Like 1

I do not know if this is an emulation problem or a game problem. Look at the mountain terrain and note how it changes as you move the ship left or right. There's a point where it shows some "distortion" too. Early 2.x versions of Stella and Z26 show the same thing.

That's how Buck Rogers looks on read hardware too. So just bad game programming here. icon_smile.gif
  • Like 2

If you all care about such things I'll make a zip file and you can see for yourself.

Definitely, we are interested in all deviations between Stella 4, the new core and / or real hardware. If you like, you can also create a Github account and report issues there directly.

The second Thomas' statement: we've already encountered several demos that fail with the new core just as they fail on real hardware icon_smile.gif Generally speaking, I would be surprised if there are any serious issues left in the core --- the current setup already is highly constrained by the ROMs that work OK. The issues you and Trebor have reported so far are related to a few missing delays on which I haven't had any reliably data until now and the behavior of the chip in edge cases that are still unconstrained (mainly NUSIZ during sprite draw).

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 1

Atari's RealSports Boxing - Significant scanline corruption when standing in the lower rightside corner of the ring under Stella 5.0.0-Pre4. Slight scanline corruption when standing in the lower rightside corner of the ring under Stella 4.7.3. No scanline corruption when standing in the lower rightside corner of the ring under real hardware.

post-18-0-43613500-1485008949_thumb.pngpost-18-0-11863200-1485008949_thumb.png

Note: Appears to be same issue as seen under Absolute's Title Match Pro Wrestling.

• Like 1

Different type of problem:

Atari's RealSports Tennis - The attached binary plays perfectly, including displays properly, utilizing a Harmony Cart with my NTSC 4-switch Woody on my NTSC CRT.

The same binary is recognized under Stella 4.7.3 and Stella 5.0.0-Pre4 as "(PAL) [a2]".

If the game properties (Options --> Game Properties --> "Display" Tab) is changed from Auto-Detect to NTSC, it does not display properly.

RealSports Tennis (1983) (Atari).bin

The game is PAL, so switch to either PAL50 or NTSC50.

With NTSC(60), Stella interrupts each frame early (because NTSC60 can't display 312 scanlines) and starts a new frame. Short after, the code starts a new frame again. That's causing the problems.

The game is PAL, so switch to either PAL50 or NTSC50.

How does the same ROM image run under the Harmony cart (With correct colors - properly centered) with my NTSC console and NTSC CRT?

*EDIT: Colors are off, but the image is centered...Interesting. Looks like it is indeed PAL; wonder what other PAL region games can run under the NTSC console with Harmony cart

:ponder:

Remember I can only test in emulation. 3.9.3 and 4.7.3.. The demos look like they are supposed to in those versions.

This core demo fails all over. There's "plasma lines" where there should be solid fills. And the "wavy road" portion runs slower and jitters.

Maybe you have the "Drive unused TIA pins randomly on read/peek" option selected in the debugger? If so deselect it, as it should be only used during development.

post-10599-0-81371900-1485021927_thumb.png

• Like 4

Yes it was checked. Not sure how it got that way. Unche

The 10 or so demos I were going to report seem to be working fine now. Noise & scratch sound, static/distorted graphics, stray plasma lines and scrambled graphics, and other funkiness all where it should be!

There are 2 other demos to be checked.

The Coke Zero demo. The bottom grey text bar moves up and down a bit in the first 10 seconds. Then it seems steady and ok for the rest of the show. No other issues. Maybe its related to post #78.

post-4806-0-54522900-1485041237_thumb.pngpost-4806-0-42149800-1485041238_thumb.pngpost-4806-0-73337600-1485041236_thumb.png

Presk/Flush demo. Not sure what the title page is supposed to look like. The stray horizontal line below the "F" supposed to be there? And the white line at the top of the Atari logo, that supposed to be there?

post-4806-0-04288500-1485041770_thumb.pngpost-4806-0-20077600-1485041769_thumb.png

Coke Zero is doing some trickery with disabling vertical blank. Which is very unusual, even for demos.

Set YStart to 27 and Height to 213 and the problem is gone.

Presk is emulated correctly.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

Crispy posted this today, could be useful - Cosmic Ark Star Field Revisited

Thanks alot for the reference --- very usefuly indeed! I have to sit down and wrap my head around this in detail, but after a superficial read, this seems to confirm what I had already suspected: the effect is an interference pattern induced by slight differences between the extra clock pulses and the regular pixel clock.

While the emulation is not detailed enough to describe this effect from first principles, this will certainly help in improving the effective description.

Edited by DirtyHairy

Derailing thread slightly to wish Stephen a Happy Birthday! Thank you for 'keeping the faith' with Stella.

Ditto to the rest of you guys regarding Stella and moving forward with improving emulation. Stella is the gold standard for Atari 2600 emulation. Glad that bar as been set so high and continues to rise. :)

• Like 6

Thanks for that, and glad that you noticed. I'm 43 now, and I started working on Stella just after graduating from University (late 2000 or so). So that's 16 years at this point. Roughly the same amount of time I've been working professionally. Where does the time go?

• Like 2