IGNORED

Failure Points on an XF551 mobo?

Larry

Better spend sometime to resolder points then next measure all traces. I think bad soldering is the most common error.

I had a few xf551 drives that didn't work new out of the box. These had a bad rom.

There are drives with an 8040 controller that use the eprom 2764 but the version with the 8050 have the rom indide the 8050 chip. This rom was bad on all drives. So to fix it you can check a jumper on the left of the 8050 (looking from the sio ports) this jumper allows you to disable the rom inside the 8050 and let it work like a 8040 then you need to add the eprom. This did fix all those drives seems a complete batch was faulty.

• Like 1

Anything that moves leads to trouble on the factory board. Power switch and power

plug of note IIRC. Root cause of SIO problems is because the jacks are not pinned

down to the board properly and they move around fatiguing the solder joints

eventually. Same issue but not as common with power jack and power switch. JB

Weld for last two, upgraded rivets or little bolts/nuts for SIO jacks and THEN

do the final episode of solder repairs.

• Like 1

Hello Larry

If you're gonna fix stuff, you might want to find a replacement for the power plug/connector on the XF's mainboard. It's easy to short the power supply if you aren't careful when plugging it into the drives power connector. With a different connector on the PCB, this can probably be cured.

Sincerely

Mathy

Hello Larry

If you're gonna fix stuff, you might want to find a replacement for the power plug/connector on the XF's mainboard. It's easy to short the power supply if you aren't careful when plugging it into the drives power connector. With a different connector on the PCB, this can probably be cured.

Sincerely

Mathy

Hi Mathy-

Isn't it the same as a 1050 or others? I've just never heard of a connection issue. Can you provide any more detail?

Larry

Hello Larry

I've managed to capture both connectors in one picture. As you can see, the connector on the 1050 prevents you from pushing the plug in in any other way than the right one. The one from the XF551 is open at the top. I've blown a fuse because of that.

Sincerely

Mathy

post-8917-0-55288100-1480976633_thumb.jpg

• Like 1