IGNORED

Aardvark for Atari VCS/2600

nanochess

Why that?

CPUWIZ made me a savekey and since I've had it, I've played the homebrews that supported it more than any of the others. I really wish more games supported it. I know everyone doesn't have a savekey, so it might be more practical to have the cart keep the high score. I just like the concept of the savekey. It's an interesting accessory. Maybe add high score support for the carts and release the binary later with savekey support for those with Harmony Carts. :)

Maybe add high score support for the carts and release the binary later with savekey support for those with Harmony Carts. icon_smile.gif

Harmony is a great tool and I am using it regularly too for playing and development.

But since Harmony, homebrew sales have dropped very significantly. So saving on the cart instead of a SaveKey is one last benefit and incentive for people who are not collectors but still support homebrewing by buying carts.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

Good job, on the other hand I've experienced some difficulties at times to go from one tunnel to another, lack of precision.

I have been playing this a lot on the AFP, and it is extremely addictive and has become one of my favorite go-to games. But I do agree about the lack of precision in the control of the tongue (especially when retracting it with the button). I don't know if this can be corrected easily, as it might sacrifice some speed which is needed to avoid the emerging insects and make the game playable. The other 2 items that are missing and would make the game so much more enjoyable is if it retained and displayed your high score (not after you turn it off, just while you are playing it) and perhaps even more importantly, if the reset button actually worked so that you restart your game if you mess up early and want to try again from the beginning.

Thanks anyway nanochess for making this incredible game, it really is so much fun and any small improvements that you are able to make from here on are only icing on the cake. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Any updates?

I've been sidetracked by a lot of things, but as soon as I've time I intend to solve some collision bugs introduced when I changed the kernel and then continue with the arcade missing parts. :)

In fact I've 21 TODO points in Aardvark source code waiting ominously behind me while I'm doing other things :P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Resumed working on this. So far solved these bugs from integration of new kernel:

* Couldn't advance level. (first egg eaten not counted)
* Crashing when tongue touched. (happened if tunnel type H appearing)
* Spider wouldn't appear. (was checking for tunnel 0 but reversed order, now tunnel 7 is topmost)
* Spider wouldn't move. (normal because changed completely the hole positioning and X-coords table)

* Corrected eating queen ant (would disappear the other queen ant)

* Corrected 1000 points sprite for queen ant (would circle weirdly between various sprites)

* Removed sound effect remaining after main melodies.

* Movement of whole game one row downward when aardvark died.

• Like 11

Very cool!!

I do remember Spiceware inverting the image having the sprite be black and use 2 colors from PF BG to place the colors. He either turn on VBlank(will produce color invisible depending on TV brightness) to produce the blackcolor or load 0 to colubk(possibly colupf) after it finish drawing the sprites. I think you might enough cycle to load data to PF2 and PF0 before the beam hits the sprites. So you could have white eyes with green outlines for the Aardvark or additional color to make the ant in his shirt a different color. A lot more work, but that's I think how Spiceware does it.

• Like 1

Very cool!!

I do remember Spiceware inverting the image having the sprite be black and use 2 colors from PF BG to place the colors. He either turn on VBlank(will produce color invisible depending on TV brightness) to produce the blackcolor or load 0 to colubk(possibly colupf) after it finish drawing the sprites. I think you might enough cycle to load data to PF2 and PF0 before the beam hits the sprites. So you could have white eyes with green outlines for the Aardvark or additional color to make the ant in his shirt a different color. A lot more work, but that's I think how Spiceware does it.

I've 3 cycles free in the loop. Maybe I could do something.

All these are pretty good ideas :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks Thomas! We're very excited here to debut the new version of Aardvark LIVE on Twitch this Wednesday at 4PM PT/7PM ET! There have been so many amazing updates to the game and I can't wait to stream it on ZeroPage Homebrew!

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

It's an all WIP day and we'll be checking out four other amazing games after Aardvark: Homestar RPG (WIP), Avalanche (WIP), Timmy (WIP), Frantic (WIP)

If you're not able to tune in at that time you can check it out on our YouTube channel after: https://youtu.be/8cPYP_27Rtc

Watch Zeropage Homebrew this Wednesday!

post-37205-0-95394800-1531001056_thumb.png

• Like 4

Cool! Do note that Timmy! is more of a proof of concept at this point.

For fun set the Left Difficult to A and some sprites will show up at the top-center that will be updated on the fly to show what's detected around Timmy. The left 3 sprites show the platforms/ladders while the right sprite shows the ropes/slides.

Finally got my S2000 sold, so just a few more RL things to take care of this coming week after which I'll be back to work on SpiceC. That means Frantic will be seeing some love soon as I'll be converting it from DPC+ to SpiceC.

post-3056-0-61980300-1531003565.png

• Like 3

Thanks the extra info for when we play it on Wednesday Darrell! Timmy! is probably near the top of my list of WIP games that I'm looking forward to getting updates to as I LOVE Jumpman/Jumpman Jr. which Timmy! looks like it got some inspiration from.

I'm also very looking forward to following the development of SpiceC, it sounds like it'll be a great development environment for all the next-gen 2600 games! Frantic is already at an amazing state and I can't imagine how much better it will be under SpiceC!

Apologies in advance for this thread going a bit off the rails...

Cool! Do note that Timmy! is more of a proof of concept at this point.

For fun set the Left Difficult to A and some sprites will show up at the top-center that will be updated on the fly to show what's detected around Timmy. The left 3 sprites show the platforms/ladders while the right sprite shows the ropes/slides.

Finally got my S2000 sold, so just a few more RL things to take care of this coming week after which I'll be back to work on SpiceC. That means Frantic will be seeing some love soon as I'll be converting it from DPC+ to SpiceC.

attachicon.giftimmy.png