IGNORED

Pac-Man is coming to J.C. Penney!

It is really amazing how much has changed since I was a kid in the 80s and not always for the best. Malls helped kill the downtowns, but they were still exciting in their heyday. The US has a knack for creating things, then turning our backs on them and destroying them just as quickly. When I was a kid, going to the mall or one of the big department stores was still exciting. Now shopping is just a misery of pushing people through the Walmart-ized box stores as fast as they can for big volume sales. Online stuff is ok, but still boring. We didn't have a Sears, but did get the JcPenny catalog and it was always fun to look through it and dream. Also was fun to go to the stores over the holidays and see stuff that hadn't even been advertised yet! The fun of discovery! Now we just have 'generica'. :(

Here's what JCPenny looked like at Northridge Mall in Milwaukee. (It was a small picture I found but I enlarged it.)

post-18158-0-94601900-1482631368_thumb.jpg

Now its much different with internet and highly annoying advertising on television during the Christmas season.. One network kept airing annoying Christmas elves commercials for Sears every single break. It's enough to drive anyone to become a grinch. Big Lots also has that singing commercial which is likely to make people cringe.

• Like 1

It is really amazing how much has changed since I was a kid in the 80s and not always for the best. Malls helped kill the downtowns, but they were still exciting in their heyday. The US has a knack for creating things, then turning our backs on them and destroying them just as quickly.

So true. I know many of the places on the Dead Malls site.

My area is trying to bring back mixed-use space, which for us mostly means expensive high-rise housing atop shops and restaurants. It's a little bit like old downtown spaces, but taller.