IGNORED

Castle Conquer (Extended Basic)

Retrospect

Got some more done earlier, I have here, the 5th screen ...there's spiders that move up & down, and left & right. Not compiled as yet so just running in XB at the moment

Player can move back, forwards, jump back, jump forward, and now, duck with the X key (needed for those pesky spiders and other monsters)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nogY-2L52ws

• Like 4

I now have screen 6 and 7 setup and running, they just need enemies putting in. Actually screen 7 was recording my 1st attempt at running it from programming, and shows a blooper - instead of the ghost I wrote in, it's a floating white ledge. The water scrolls by 2 pixels for row 20 (top of the water) and by 4 pixels from columns 21 to 24, to create a half-decent sea motion. Next thing to do is make the player and ledge "bob" up and down in the water, I may change the ledge to a raft of some kind.

It's running at standard xb speed right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S441kUDTIaI&t=2s

• Like 4

Just played Castle Conquer, fun game :) made it to the part with multiple fireballs. After struggling with the pits and arrow screen. Really fun :)

The pits & arrow screen is one of the hardest. It requires more or less pixel perfect jumping and timing :)

Wait till you get to the dragon and chasm screen!

Running in standard XB environment, 2 spiders move, one goes up and down on a web at the same time as his friend moves left and right, whilst looking left to right. All done in one CALL SPRITE command, all calculations are worked out first and then the sprites are displayed all at the same time. This will include the player sprite (Eric) as his moves are calculated beforehand also. (He's not here yet!)

• Like 2

Eric the Elf has made his appearance at last, this time he's white. So far we can move forward, jump straight up, and duck. I have programmed 11 screens so far, this is screen 1. I reworked all the code so as to be more memory friendly. Next thing to do is get collision detection working and a lives indicator atop the red border. I'm not doing a score, because you literally just go from left to right with no other objective than to rescue the maiden. Again. :)

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 5

Thanks Vorticon.

I've just added a spider on a web to the tree. I'm toying on the idea of adding a hole in the ground forcing you to jump into where the ghosts can stray. I found a way of saving bytes by having holes in the ground, trees, and gravestones all in subroutines with a variable that tells it which location to build the object. So in theory a tree can be planted with only the bytes it takes to command C=20 :: GOSUB 9400. Of course, each RUN test usually sounds out the error beep ... I've never had a hobby that is as much fun as it can be hair-tearingly frustrating :)

• Like 3

Looks Impressive :-o ...nice game !

Cheers Ciro. I should take this time to thank Senior Falcon for his XB256 extensions and compiler (for anyone new reading, you can get these in the development thread and they are truly awesome) ... without those, this game wouldn't have looked the way it does.

• Like 4