IGNORED

Castle Conquer (Extended Basic)

Retrospect

Thanks again guys.

Well, so far it's doing great but could do with more left-over program space. It now has 3 speed options at the start-up screen. A score system will not be programmed into it, unless I can figure out a way to do a "time it takes to complete the screen" type of score. For that to happen without seriously slowing anything down, I would probably have to do a CALL PEEK to the VDP Interrupt Timer, if there's anything I can do with that, I don't know!

It's gonna have another re-write, it takes up too much program space as is. I do have an awesome idea for sprites and enemy attributes, that would probably halve the size the program is, but it'll only work if there's the same amount of enemies per screen, and at least one of the same type. (Every screen would have a spider riding the web). I don't really want to make it boring like that.

There is a screen that has you out at sea, on a floating ledge, that bobs up and down as you go, there's a "Bird of Death" that flaps to the left and back to the right side of the screen ... the player can jump back, up , and forwards and the ledge will follow the player, bobbing away in the water. The bird is lethal and so far has a kill count of about 40. That's right. It's winnable but boy is it hard, it'll make Ghosts n Goblins look like Milleken's Early Learning cartridges.

I'll have another video later if my progression is worth showing. :)

How do you store the screens? Do you use any kind of compression?

I don't use any compression, I should, probably!

At the moment, the screens are made up by having subroutines that can plot the different types of trees, and the holes, etc, with a variable to tell it where to place each thing on the screen. This is one of the reasons it only has 8 screens.

I've hit a problem. I'm currently writing joystick support into the game. The man moves straight up, ducks, goes back and forwards but he won't jump back or jump forwards.

These moves require the joystick up/right up/left combination.

IF PY=-4 AND PX=4 THEN xxxx isn't working for jump back,

IF PY=4 AND PX=4 THEN xxxx isn't working for jump fowards either. What am I doing wrong? :)

Write a quick little test program to make sure your joystick is working for diagonals... diagonals are hard to get on many old sticks.

10 CALL JOYST(1,X,Y)

20 PRINT X,Y

30 GOTO 10

I always start there with issues. ;)

Thanks Tursi, yeah I did make a little test program myself and it resulted that it was indeed picking up the joystick diagonals ... both in classic99 and js99er .. however, in both , the diagonals don't work in my game. I'm thinking maybe my code is wrong?

I've literally typed :

7000 CALL JOYST(1,PY,PX)

7010 IF PX=4 THEN 7100 <--- jumps Eric up

7020 IF PX=-4 THEN 7200 <--- Eric crouches

7030 IF PY=-4 THEN 7300 <---Eric walks back

7040 IF PY=4 THEN 7400 <---Eric walks forward

7045 IF PY=-4 AND PX=4 THEN 7500 <--- Eric jumps back, (only he doesn't!)

7046 IF PY=4 AND PX=4 THEN 7600 <--- Eric jumps forward, (but he won't!)

7050 GOSUB 3000::PX=0::PY=0::GOTO 7000 <---- goes to subroutine that updates all things, then comes back again

There's gotta be another way?

Edited by Retrospect

Ah, yes, it's just your sequence. I do that all the time. ;)

Your code never makes it to like 7045 to check diagonals, because if it's true, either 7020 or 7040 has already passed and left the rest of the searches. Just put your most specific tests first, and you'll have it working. :)

• Like 3

Ah, yes, it's just your sequence. I do that all the time. ;)

Your code never makes it to like 7045 to check diagonals, because if it's true, either 7020 or 7040 has already passed and left the rest of the searches. Just put your most specific tests first, and you'll have it working. :)

Haaa! Of course! thanks!

Darn it I've been caught out with this type of thing a few times now. :)

• Like 1

Done some more tonight.

New background chars, and I've opened the screen up by removing my border. It took more bytes trying to tell the program there's a limit to the left and right for sprite movements than it was worth.

New enemy: The apple falling out of the tree from Dizzy. :)

Video of game running in XB , not compiled.

• Like 2

Lovely graphics and animation. You're pretty good.

We should definitely have more short videos with commentary / voice over. Better practice my Danglish then.

:)

thanks karsten, yeah we should do more. the only reason i don't do lots more is because with screencastify lite it drops the frame-rate somewhat, and makes the emulator look at fault. There are lots of other options for most but I only have a chromebook and a very old (2003) winxp "time" laptop at the moment. Classic99 runs at 43fps in size 1 window with the xp machine! :)

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 1

thanks karsten, yeah we should do more. the only reason i don't do lots more is because with screencastify lite it drops the frame-rate somewhat, and makes the emulator look at fault. There are lots of other options for most but I only have a chromebook and a very old (2003) winxp "time" laptop at the moment. Classic99 runs at 43fps in size 1 window with the xp machine! :)

Yes. I've had problems with smooth animation too, so that's much the same reason I didn't do much video. I guess YouTube is up to it these days. My Camtasia Studio (not free) is a bit dated, but works okay with GIF animations. I've downloaded OBS Studio (free) and it seems to work, but I haven't had time to use it / get to know it. I believe Tursi and RXB uses it, so I guess it should be good, but then may require slightly more power than what you put up there, Joe. - Just watched some of your videos on your excellent YouTube channel. Guess you must have had access to a more powerful computer now and then. What video editing software are / were you using ?

;)

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 1

Yes. I've had problems with smooth animation too, so that's much the same reason I didn't do much video. I guess YouTube is up to it these days. My Camtasia Studio (not free) is a bit dated, but works okay with GIF animations. I've downloaded OBS Studio (free) and it seems to work, but I haven't had time to use it / get to know it. I believe Tursi and RXB uses it, so I guess it should be good, but then may require slightly more power than what you put up there, Joe. - Just watched some of your videos on your excellent YouTube channel. Guess you must have had access to a more powerful computer now and then. What video editing software are / were you using ?

;)

Yeah I did have a little belter of a laptop at one point, it was an Acer Touch-screen with Windows 10 and it came with its own desktop recording utility, that is, it could record Minecraft fairly smoothly (so long as I used a flat-land map) and it was awesome for recording the emulators. It suddenly died without warning last year. It never even saw 12 months of life before it kicked the bucket. I do have three other computers. One is an old samsung with Linux Lubuntu, that gets by ok but over-heats a lot, one's a 2003 xp, and as mentioned, my main computer is a chromebook which just happens to run JS99er at 62.5fps so I'm very happy with that. I've had trouble compiling with the chromebook though with JS99er - i must be doing something wrong, it's not the environment im used to when it comes to running the compiler. It gets to the assembler stage and says it can't open the object source file! So I port it across to the xp machine and that does it in classic99. I'm all over the place. haha.

• Like 1

Also, I was using Window's movie maker whilst doing my older videos, some nice transitions can be done with it. Openshot Video Editor for Linux is great too, but too chuggy on my old laptop, it switches off after hitting a high temperature too.

So chromebook at the moment is being used for all my programming.

Speaking of which, the game is coming along nicely. I've improved the sea scrolling screen slightly, the bird isn't 99 percent impossible to get around anymore and the sea looks nicer. I'll have a video later. After a re-write it's now using less bytes than it did before, some routines were amended.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Castle Conquer is being made for Rich Extended Basic. The finished game will have collectable items such as treasure or extra lives. RXB's CALL COINC command makes it much much easier to differentiate sprite collisions and we can easily determine an enemy to a collectable object in just one statement. I've not done so much so far as I'm still wrestling with the Eric In Monsterland project at the moment.

• Like 2