IGNORED

ST programs that require only 512k...!

Wally1

Since the 520ST was kind of the default Atari ST, and it only had 512kb RAM... MOST Atari ST games were designed to run on 512kb of RAM. I'd guess at least 90% of all games commercially released for the Atari ST came on Single Sided Floppies (What the original 520STfm came with), and required only 512kb RAM.

That's probably a very LOW estimate.

Now that said, a lot of stuff coming out these days will take advantage of 1MB or more. I know a lot of games converted to HDD use will add features like memory resident "Save Game State" utilities that bump the RAM requirements over 512kb, but most original games for the ST are 512kb games.

Edit: Saw your other post, ST "Programs" like Cubase was developed with Professional Musicians in mind. Kindda makes sense that they wouldn't sacrifice program features for those who couldn't afford the extra $200-$300 for a 1040ST.

Edited by Android8675

In the beginning almost everything was runnable on 512K, from single sided floppy. But things changed, so later releases (after 1989) are mostly on double sided floppies, unless it fits on 1 single sided.

I don't know about such list, because I always had more RAM, but it depends from TOS version too, so something what runs with 512K on TOS 1.00 may not run on 2.06, only with 1MB (but more common is that will not run with any RAM size).

In case of hard disk adaptations (not conversions, please) 1MB is practically mandatory - even for basic running, because hard disk driver self takes some RAM. Extra features just use remaining 400KB RAM - simply said.

If someone is interested in this really, can make list self: using some emulator and testing SW with RAM set to 512K, then to 1MB ...

Ah, and here you can see it for plenty of SW: http://www.atarimania.com/atari-st-tt-falcon.html

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan

I was going to pipe in and say at least Shadow of the Beast will run in 512kb, because the guy who ported it said that Psygnosis had him do it for the lowest common denominator, which is a big part of the reason why it looks terrible compared to the Amiga version.

PCs do the same thing today, Lots of game companies figure out the lowest common denominator and develop with compatibility in mind. For example, Doom 2016 easily runs on my 12 year old system (on medium), they could of easily required i7, but that would kill profits.

Yeah!

PCs do the same thing today, Lots of game companies figure out the lowest common denominator and develop with compatibility in mind. For example, Doom 2016 easily runs on my 12 year old system (on medium), they could of easily required i7, but that would kill profits.

Yeah!

I actually think that's a good thing. Not being forced to get the latest hardware just to be able to play a new game. Graphics isn't everything. That being said I probably wouldn't be able to play that game anyway, because of motion sickness.

Yeah, I think the main problem with Shadow of the Beast was that they didn't even do a better version for those that had 1mb+ of RAM. In your example, if you have an old system, it'll run okay with medium systems, but for those who have too much money and keep up with the latest hardware, they can run it at max settings, and possibly better overall framerates, which helps to not get motion sickness (well especially when you start going VR, where framerate drops = need for new hardware, namely a puke bucket.)

I think it's the main reason the ST died off quicker than say the support for the Amiga. The lowest common denominator for the Amiga once the A500 was released was pretty much OCS/ECS with 512kb, with the majority having 1mb. Where as the 1040STfm had wide spread adoption, the STe (fully capable of more Amiga-like software) wasn't developed that much for. Granted, by the time the Falcon was released, Atari all but said it was a flightless bird, and announced the Jaguar and getting out of the computer business at about the same time. So sad, because the Falcon is an Amazing machine!

I actually think that's a good thing. Not being forced to get the latest hardware just to be able to play a new game. Graphics isn't everything. That being said I probably wouldn't be able to play that game anyway, because of motion sickness.

I occasionally get motion sickness from FPSs, Doom 2016 hasn't effected me so far (affected?). There's a free demo on Steam, if you're curious. I just got the BFG-9000 the other day, freaking bad ass gun.

I wish I had a faster system, while the game will run OK in medium, you get a bit of slowdown in big scenes. Doom is currently my #1 reason for wanting a new PC at the moment... and I've totally derailed this forum.

• 3 weeks later...

SotB ran on a PAL 512k Amiga 1000 or 500 low end spec so it makes sense it was 512k for ST. Sure the FM could do with more RAM for more pre-calc'd stuff for a better engine but few people had bought a 520 and upgraded it before the SIMM socket equipped STEs. SotB Amiga is the same as Rescue on Fractalus on Atari 800, there is no way it will be better on any other system but even so the ST version was not coded by a genius for sure and falls way short of the coding skill employed by Martin Edmondson's Amiga dev team but even so it is a game engine designed around the advantages and disadvantages of the PAL Amiga 500/1000 chipset.