IGNORED

Looking for a working 835 modem...

DavidMil

Any body have a working 835 modem (in the USA) that they are willing to sell/rent/loan me for a few weeks? I need to make a copy of the

1k ROM on the MPU so I can fix a couple of others I have. I don't mind sending a security deposit for the use of the modem too.

Or if someone knows where I could find a working 835 please let me know!

Thanks,

David Milsop

Kingwood, Texas

I've talked to Brad at Best and he said they are totally sold out. B&C doesn't have one listed, but I haven't talked to anyone there

yet. I would be pleased and willing to pay someone for an image of the 1K of ROM that the 8048 had. The thing is, Atari used this chip in other

devices as well. I know for sure that the 1027 had one. So the chip has to come out of an 835.

DavidMil

The Best Electronics website does list the MPU for the 835(under custom ICs), but you would need to confirm with Brad if it contains the proper firmware.

CO60549 (835 MPU) $15.00

I have an 835 and Dropcheck's ROM burner - if that can handle it I'll dump it for you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got a good P8048 MPU chip and I now have two working 835 modems and I fixed gamer-stu's modem too. I tested them with Atari's CPS Diagnostic Disk FD100577 (Rev 02).

Thanks to all!

David Milsop

Kingwood, Texas

Please post a dump of the ROM, I have two that need fixing too :)

I have a Universal Programmer that does 8048's if you're interested.

Hopefully, it isn't copy protected.

Which Programmer is that? My Willem will do P8048AH, not sure if that is the same type of MCS?

Seems there is no protection support on the 8048. But many MCU devices support firmware protection. Some based on masked ROM don't have any kind of external bus interface, other than I/O ports. So you simply have no external way to access the firmware. Other devices, usually using OTP (One Time Prom), have a firmware that could be written externally, but it couldn't be read back. I don't remember when the first devices with firmware protection by design were available.

Edited by ijor

Yesterday I ordered a 8048 adapter for my Willem board from This Place for only $4 plus shipping

I'll be able to read them, plus burn them :) I'll post the dump as soon as the adapter arrives...

DavidMil will not be able to post the ROM dump of the 835 as someone who donated a 8048 for him to check out doesn't want to share it (the ROM Dump) :?

Edited by AtariGeezer