IGNORED

World's Worst Super Mario Bros Player

Gabriel

Well, I always wanted to be exceptional at something.

Playing Super Mario Bros via Super Mario All Stars on the SNES.

I'm sure there are few on this planet who suck as badly as I do at this game.

Died on the first Goombah. That was bad enough. Then died again on the first Goombah.

Went through about 10-15 lives on the starting part of world 3-1 with the two bouncing turtle things.

So, yeah. I'm even more horrible at this game than I used to be. I'm the Rocky of failure. I need a montage of me getting worse and worse playing. Go me.

I doubt it's the same code. The Super Ninntedo CPU might be compatible with NES code, the graphic processor is differend, the sound processor is different, and the CPU speed is faster, so it can't be the exact same code. and BITD it would have been easier for them to recreate the game using the SMW code than making an emulator and yet adding newer graphisms and music.

So I doubt it's the exact same code.

I'm pretty bad at all of the classic Super Mario Bros. games. I'm an OG 1985 NES owner too, and I got the game with the system. I rarely can get past the first level.

I recently got Super Mario Land for the 3DS and it is a *lot* easier - I'm like 30 levels in and I have 13 lives. Those classic Mario games were much harder.

I doubt it's the same code. The Super Ninntedo CPU might be compatible with NES code, the graphic processor is differend, the sound processor is different, and the CPU speed is faster, so it can't be the exact same code. and BITD it would have been easier for them to recreate the game using the SMW code than making an emulator and yet adding newer graphisms and music.

So I doubt it's the exact same code.

I didn't mean it's the exact code byte for byte (though some of it actually is; verified). I mean that it's the exact same game logic code direct from the NES games; it even drops the cpu in 8bit mode to replicate the code (the cpu is funky - you can't access single 8bit elements when regs are in 16bit mode; you have to switch to 8bit reg mode.. to put it simply). The CPU speed being faster doesn't change anything, except for maybe removing slowdown. Have you ever seen my nes2pce projects? Megaman 1 & 2 running on the PC Engine? That's the exact 6502 code running on a huc6280 that's 4 times faster! Does it make the game faster? No. All timing it still regulated via vsync interrupts. It's no different on the SNES. The graphics chip and sound chip are also irrelevant in details, simply because the functions that get called to "update" the graphics, or play a sound track, or play an SFX - are simply hooked (replaced) to a different version specific to the SNES. That change graphics and sound - that has no effect on gameplay logic. The resolution is exactly the same, the refresh rate (which syncs the code to a timed loop) is exactly the same - nothing was lost or adjusted to compensate.

SMW? Easier? How do you know this? And what emulator? SMW is not SMB, SMB2US, or SMB3. These games all have different mechanics/logic. If you used SMW as gameplay mechanic engine, then it would be different code (logic).

• Like 1

Had to use the 4-2 warp zone, because there was simply no way I was going to be able to get to 5-1 otherwise. I lost track of how many times I continued on 4-1 and 4-2. Then, when it looked like I had managed to get to the end of 4-2 without running across the top of the screen for the warp zone, I managed to fall into the pit at the end and died. At that point, I decided I didn't want to go through the same process again on 4-3 and get booted back to the beginning of 4-1 again, so running across the top of the screen and making a beeline for the warp zone it was.

I didn't mean it's the exact code byte for byte (though some of it actually is; verified). I mean that it's the exact same game logic code direct from the NES games; it even drops the cpu in 8bit mode to replicate the code (the cpu is funky - you can't access single 8bit elements when regs are in 16bit mode; you have to switch to 8bit reg mode.. to put it simply). The CPU speed being faster doesn't change anything, except for maybe removing slowdown. Have you ever seen my nes2pce projects? Megaman 1 & 2 running on the PC Engine? That's the exact 6502 code running on a huc6280 that's 4 times faster! Does it make the game faster? No. All timing it still regulated via vsync interrupts. It's no different on the SNES. The graphics chip and sound chip are also irrelevant in details, simply because the functions that get called to "update" the graphics, or play a sound track, or play an SFX - are simply hooked (replaced) to a different version specific to the SNES. That change graphics and sound - that has no effect on gameplay logic. The resolution is exactly the same, the refresh rate (which syncs the code to a timed loop) is exactly the same - nothing was lost or adjusted to compensate.

SMW? Easier? How do you know this? And what emulator? SMW is not SMB, SMB2US, or SMB3. These games all have different mechanics/logic. If you used SMW as gameplay mechanic engine, then it would be different code (logic).

I don't know all project by every member of AA, sorry. Had I knew you were into coding I would have guessed you knew enough.

I figured the code simply used the CPU speed, else why does the game speed change between US and PAL systems?