IGNORED

What caused you to change (Atari/non-Atari) platforms?

Xebec

yeah, shame we never got a Panther, as I think if it had been released earlier and instead of Jag it may have got people to change back too Atari from Sega and Nintendo

I highly agree, although I'm sure the Tramiels would find a way to tank that one as well.

From ZX Spectrum to ST in 1986.

We used ST (with many upgrades: memory, HDD, modem, printer, scanner...) in home for games and business until 1994 when we bought Falcon.

MagiC! on ST gave new life to the machine! We bought Falcon and was happy with it, lot of new and different software. Wintel still did not have anything particularly better than Atari (except games and more colors) but much of Atari software move to PC, especial when Windows 95 come out.

Only in 1998. we bought Mac, when there was no new software for Atari and Internet start to require more power and new browsers.

We did not stay long on Mac. Mac was to expensive so we switch to PC in 1999. and again to (Intel) Mac in 2006.

I always wondered what would or could've happened if Atari had really managed to push the Falcon with an updated GUI - TOS 4.92 was heading in the right direction - and really make it an Internet capable machine. Falcon with AOL and all the requirements to browse the web, it could have definitely extended the life and usefulness of the machine. I don't remember connecting a Modem being an easy thing to do, even much later in the 90s. It was touted as this huge multimedia machine with almost no software to really utilize it.

I always wondered what would or could've happened if Atari had really managed to push the Falcon with an updated GUI - TOS 4.92 was heading in the right direction - and really make it an Internet capable machine. Falcon with AOL and all the requirements to browse the web, it could have definitely extended the life and usefulness of the machine. I don't remember connecting a Modem being an easy thing to do, even much later in the 90s. It was touted as this huge multimedia machine with almost no software to really utilize it.

connecting a modem wasn't hard. But getting a working Slip/PPP connection that was needed for proper internet connection was trickier. I was doing that on my ST right before I moved to PC in 94/95, and the selection of internet enabled software was limited. It really needed "dial up networking" built into the os, or at least as an easy to use desk accessory. Also a port of Netscape was needed-- because at the time, every browser that wasn't IE or Netscape did not offer a good browsing experience.

• Like 2

I always wondered what would or could've happened if Atari had really managed to push the Falcon with an updated GUI - TOS 4.92 was heading in the right direction - and really make it an Internet capable machine. Falcon with AOL and all the requirements to browse the web, it could have definitely extended the life and usefulness of the machine. I don't remember connecting a Modem being an easy thing to do, even much later in the 90s. It was touted as this huge multimedia machine with almost no software to really utilize it

a lot of people PC's around 95, I don't think the internet would have done much for the Falcon, plus wouldn't Atari have had to make there own browser and then theres compatibility issues. However if the Falcon could have played games online like Gauntlet with a free service, I could see that working, as online play was still new.

Edited by D.Daniels

a lot of people PC's around 95, I don't think the internet would have done much for the Falcon, plus wouldn't Atari have had to make there own browser and then theres compatibility issues. However if the Falcon could have played games online like Gauntlet with a free service, I could see that working, as online play was still new.

Yeah I think the 1-2 punch of 'Doom' and Internet finally converted a lot of us :)

• Like 2

It was serious word processing, astronomy software, and real hard disks with real file systems which first enamored me to the PC. I purchased my 486 to do those things. The games came later.

It was when I played Doom and Raptor and WackyWheels that I was truly converted and said that this is THE platform of the future. I was converted. But.. I had already had just gotten my 486, the games came a few months afterwards.

I would dare say Apogee and GT-Interactive, too, had a great influence on my leaving the 16-bit world behind. And not a moment too soon. I was wallowing in empty promises.

Edited by Keatah

It was serious word processing, astronomy software, and real hard disks with real file systems which first enamored me to the PC. I purchased my 486 to do those things. The games came later.

It was when I played Doom and Raptor and WackyWheels that I was truly converted and said that this is THE platform of the future. I was converted. But.. I had already had just gotten my 486, the games came a few months afterwards.

I would dare say Apogee and GT-Interactive had a great influence on my leaving the 16-bit world behind. And not a moment too soon. I was wallowing in empty promises.

was raptor the shareware top down shooter, if its the one I'm thinking of that was cool

Probably yes. What was cool about these games is that you didn't need any specialized hardware to play them. Everything was essentially done up on the CPU.

yeah I remember my 486, worked playing games straight off, I get why people like upgrading, just for me my 486 was not good for games after a year and a half, but then even the ST was upgradeable from single side to double floppy, and more ram needed for some later games

Edited by D.Daniels

I dabbled with WordPerfect and WordStar on the 486, but really hit the groove with MS Word and Notepad. Windows 3.1 days.

I experimented around with a variety of word processors on the Atari, forget exactly which ones, but none seemed to jibe with my work style. I had better (prior) luck on the Apple, had to, it was all that was available in 1978 really.

Atari was a games computer to me, not a professional computer. Nothing wrong in that.

I dabbled with WordPerfect and WordStar on the 486, but really hit the groove with MS Word and Notepad. Windows 3.1 days.

I experimented around with a variety of word processors on the Atari, forget exactly which ones, but none seemed to jibe with my work style. I had better (prior) luck on the Apple, had to, it was all that was available in 1978 really.

Atari was a games computer to me, not a professional computer. Nothing wrong in that.

ironically jack wouldn't agree, but that was the stupid thing about Atari trying to be professional, I think everyone still thinks games when they think Atari

^

^^

not in europe - In Yugoslavia many used Atari as professional tool, in home and at work.

Games only come second.

Amiga was gaming computer; on every dozen of Amiga users, only one would use it it for professional work (from my personal experience).

I also did not why somebody use WordPerfect or WordStar on PC beside ST - at fathers office there were (in 80s) few ST and PCs so I could watch both "in action". PC was then more times complicated to setup and run, programs were not intuitive, and green/orange monitors, comparing to ST SM124 was like from stone age. Today I have in my cellar 286 PC and I hope I will make video comparing it to ST by doing same work on both. I did make some quick (and ugly) video comparing Falcon and Mac LC II in word processing:

• Like 2

^

^^

not in europe - In Yugoslavia many used Atari as professional tool, in home and at work.

Games only come second.

Amiga was gaming computer; on every dozen of Amiga users, only one would use it it for professional work (from my personal experience).

I also did not why somebody use WordPerfect or WordStar on PC beside ST - at fathers office there were (in 80s) few ST and PCs so I could watch both "in action". PC was then more times complicated to setup and run, programs were not intuitive, and green/orange monitors, comparing to ST SM124 was like from stone age. Today I have in my cellar 286 PC and I hope I will make video comparing it to ST by doing same work on both. I did make some quick (and ugly) video comparing Falcon and Mac LC II in word processing:

the video is close, I prefer the falcon layout of menu's and text font quality looks nicer, the only thing is the lion picture seems higher quality on the mac, are they are different image qualities?

Edited by D.Daniels

Yes, Mac show picture nicer - It looks like that Falcon use system color palette while Mac optimize color palette for that particular picture (I should load more pictures at once...)

and I should probably use Claris on Mac but did not have time to prepare it...

Edited by calimero
  • Like 1

The ST actually had Wordperfect and Microsoft Write ( a precursor to Word). So I think the ST had the applications , the real problem IMHO was the keyboard was not great and made it uncomfortable to do lots of writing on. The Mega ST keyboard wasn't bad, but the others were.

The ST actually had Wordperfect and Microsoft Write ( a precursor to Word). So I think the ST had the applications , the real problem IMHO was the keyboard was not great and made it uncomfortable to do lots of writing on. The Mega ST keyboard wasn't bad, but the others were.

yeah the keyboard was fucking crap, it was functional, but shit to use, but the function keys looked nice

Edited by D.Daniels

Just an observation on the ST's keyboards. The Mega ST's keyboard was great.

The STacy's was even better and the Mega STe and TT030 keyboards were still

pretty darned good. The stock ST's keyboard did leave something to be desired,

but could be enhanced greatly with a kit called the "TT-Touch", from places like

Best Electronics for around $20-25.00. That kit would apply to the Falcon's

keyboard as well.

If I were to rank them, and this is from my personal experience and IMHO, it

would go like this:

STacy

Mega ST

Mega STe/TT030

TT-Touch enhanced ST/Falcon keyboard

Stock ST/Falcon keyboard

• Like 1

Games only come second.

Sadly in the States, any computer not made by Apple or IBM was considered a "toy" and anyone who just wanted to play games used a NES instead. The 8/16-bit home computers were mostly used by hobbyists who were interested in messing around with programming and other geeky stuff. Much like the Raspberry Pi's are like now...

With the ST, for me at least, I like the fact it could be used as both a Mac-like computer for school work and for playing 16-bit games. Even now I like the 2-in-1 aspect of a "workstation/game console" nature of PC's to this day.

Funny you should mention WordPerfect cause that first caused my defection to the "dark side" of PC's... I used a Mac Plus in high school and fell in loved with the GUI, which influenced my decsion in getting the ST of course. In college however they had those awful Performas with flat squishy keyboards, slow moving mouse pointers and no way of transfering files to DOS-formated disks that the ST's used.

One day as I was trying to type a paper, the Mac bombed out again and I got so fed up I actually went to use the 386 PC's in the other lab. They had the DOS version of WP 5 which used a mouse and pull down menus, the keyboard was real nice to type on and yes I can save text files to use on my ST at home. In other words, it "just worked".

Edited by MrMaddog
  • Like 1