IGNORED

Wanted: Feedback for Beef Drop (cribbed from NoSwearGamer)

Dauber

I'm looking for feedback for the next episode of the Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast (you can find it on iTunes, Stitcher, or use this feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/homebrew78 )

What are your memories of BurgerTime and/or thoughts on Beef Drop on the 7800?

This game will be covered on Episode 1.

You can also e-mail text or audio to homebrew78 -at- fab4it -dot- com

Thanks!

I first played Burgertime in the arcades at age 8 or so. I enjoyed it, but they didn't keep it very long. After that, I got a bootleg floppy disk and played it on the library computer. Next, came the 2600. I played it for years, it was a top ten favorite until I started serious collecting many years later. I eventually got it on PS1 and hated it- too fast, bad controller. (I was used to 2600). I sought out the NES version- it was ok, nothing special. Finally got Beef Drop on Concerto, and it just felt 'right' - it's my home port of choice. Shortly thereafter, I installed Pokey: PERFECTION. Beef Drop is one of my go-to games for 7800.

• Like 1

For me, early to mid-80s exposure in the Arcades of the original BurgerTime was a blast. I recall thinking how cool it was for food to be chasing a chef. The concept of making burgers and the theme centralizing around building them, did make me think of Wimpy from Popeye, back in the day. Not sure if it was due to there being an Arcade Popeye game around the same time frame at the place where I primarily played (Nathan's), but undoubtedly all the cartoon exposure was a factor. Anyhow, I don't recollect being great at the game back then, but always had a fun time playing.

Enter Beef Drop from Ken Siders...This is some *great* porting of an Arcade classic. POKEY sound featured is the icing on the cake, but the cake itself is what really shines here. Colorful, well designed characters, capturing the Arcade spirit and look beautiful, including all the board layouts. Prior to Beef Drop, having played it on the 2600, I was content at the time. Having any home version, period, was practically good enough for me in those days. It was so cool in my eyes - 'block' graphics and all.

It wouldn't be until the 90's though, that I would acquire or at least play other ports such as ColecoVision (Very good), C64 (Very poor), and the NES, which is (disappointingly) only a decent port at best. Beef Drop is my definitive and go to home port of BurgerTime. It plays really well, having not just one, two, or three difficulty settings - but a total of five (Child, Easy, Normal, Hard, Expert). It is near impossible to imagine any player, at any skill level, not discovering a setting they find both enjoyable and challenging.

Since this is not a game that requires constant use of the fire button(s), except to throw the occasional pepper, in addition to there not being any real fast or/and hairpin directional movements, any controller - joystick or gamepad - for the most part, should work really well.

If missing out on the (original) POKEY sound and left with TIA ([V]alue [E]dition) for audio, the background melody is still respectable; although losing a little on scoring and overall enjoy-ability. Nonetheless, it is no 7800 Donkey Kong in the sound department, and again we're taking icing on an already delicious cake.

A must have on the 7800 for the Arcade enthusiast or for anyone that enjoys a well-playing and well-crafted game, ported over excellently. Needless to say, highly recommended.

• Like 2

I will be in the minority on this one, but, I am not impressed with "Beef Drop" on the 7800. The graphics are "muddy", low resolution. The way the chef moves up and down the ladders bugs me badly. He looks as though he "vibrates" up and down vs. climbing. I personally think the Intellivision version is far superior. Yes, "Beefdrop" (Burgertime)is an incredibly fun game - but I liken it to pizza - even when it's bad it's good. And no, I am not saying that Ken Siders versions of "Burgertime" is bad, it just doesn't blow me away either. I figure with the capabilities of the 7800, it should be the definitive 8-bit version.

Cleaner(clearer)graphics (320p?) and better sprite movement would have been incredible.

On the positive side, Mr. Siders performed well programming the TIA sound.

Now: let the bashing of me begin...

And no, I am not a troll.

I will be in the minority on this one, but, I am not impressed with "Beef Drop" on the 7800. The graphics are "muddy", low resolution. The way the chef moves up and down the ladders bugs me badly. He looks as though he "vibrates" up and down vs. climbing. I personally think the Intellivision version is far superior. Yes, "Beefdrop" (Burgertime)is an incredibly fun game - but I liken it to pizza - even when it's bad it's good. And no, I am not saying that Ken Siders versions of "Burgertime" is bad, it just doesn't blow me away either. I figure with the capabilities of the 7800, it should be the definitive 8-bit version.

Cleaner(clearer)graphics (320p?) and better sprite movement would have been incredible.

On the positive side, Mr. Siders performed well programming the TIA sound.

Now: let the bashing of me begin...

And no, I am not a troll.

Just an FYI...The look "as though he "vibrates" up and down vs. climbing" is just like the Arcade original; it is intentional. ;)

Not sure where the "muddy" graphics perspective is coming from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfopxhPK8v4

Regardless, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. :)

I played them all and I think own all systems carts of bt and the intellivision has the best controls and has the best sound(dont ask me why)

It is like they made one great intellivision game and everything I ever played after to date sucked.Dk etc etc.

I like the 7800 version as well as it is not a bad port. I have never played the version with pokey sound so I do not know what I am missing. The vertical jerkyness when climbing ladders does seem odd but the overall gameplay is good.

The burgertime theme has to be one of the most repetitive and annoying ever to no fault of the programmer that's just how it is. I am not the biggest burgertime fan in the world so that does not help my feelings of reviewing this game.

Best part is no crashing or glitches which is sometimes rare in 7800 games due to the system differences. So it was programmed exceptionally well with all the elements of the original there with great enemy AI.

I am never seen the original as of late been over 30 years in an arcade but after looking at Trebors video it makes sense now. Some opinions are made by education on a subject and I am no expert. Thanks for the explanation!

I can't imagine you could make a better port of Burgertime! Frankly, Burgertime itself drives me crazy, I can only take it in short doses, so I haven't played this as much as I should have. The 5200 version is also very good. Love the Pokey music on the 7800 version. I wouldn't play it with just TIA sounds. I'd like to hear the podcast review of this game when it is published.

Concerning the chef's 'vibrating up and down the ladders', isn't that the way he is supposed to move, based on the original coin-op?

It will be published probably the morning of 12/31.

Yes -- Chef Pete is supposed to "vibrate" up and down the latters (or are they staircases?) -- that's exactly how it is on the arcade version.

BTW, Jinks -- I want to use your phrase "vertical jerkiness" for something...maybe an album title. :)

We did album pics once 6 years ago taken from our feet up. I wanted to call it "while your down there"

I just played the hell outa my copy of bugertime ve and ya know what its a good port. The colours look good on my crt and besides the music which is no fault of the programmer as "it is what it is" as they say there are no faults with this game.

Great game, although I am not that great at it. The game looks and plays well. I like that there are multiple skill levels (I usually stick to Standard) and really like the special modes which can be accessed by holding down the pause button while turning on the console.

As already stated, the POKEY sound is icing on the cake. My cart is numbered 96. Maybe we should start a thread of all of the numbered carts?

Thanks for hosting a podcast on 7800 homebrews. :thumbsup:

post-21941-0-75627700-1482262796_thumb.jpg post-21941-0-86704400-1482262821_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Say what?

Atkins = No Buns.

Vegetarian = No Beef.

Mirror = Flip Left and Right sides.

More = 4 more boards added to the mix after completing the original.

Also, if for some reason a person wants the background melody muted, the difficulty switches on the console just need to be toggled over.

• Like 2

Have loved Burgertime ever since playing it on location and having it for the TI-99/4A BITD. And a little later, for the Intellivision. Those two home versions are my absolute favorite, but Beef Drop comes damn close. Only have a couple of minor "beefs" with Beef Drop and one has to do with how fat the sprites are in relation to buns, etc. Leaves just a little less room than I'm used to when you want to take a bunch of baddies for a ride. I think if it were to take a few pixels more to drop an item, would have helped alleviate the cramped spacing.

The other is how the top of the hot dogs are animated instead of in the middle. Chef's hat drawn as if it's being blown back doesn't really bug. Other than that and NOT owning the Pokey edition (really, really wish I did), I'd say this version is downright excellent. All in all, really glad to have a Burgertime clone for the 7800!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll gladly make one for anyone who can send me a Ballblazer cart. :)

..Al

Thanks Albert! I will remember that while I am hunting. I found one about a month ago. I passed at the time. I thought it might come in handy and so I started hitting my regular stores and I haven't been able to find it.

• Like 1