IGNORED

Is This Super Off Road for Atari Lynx a Prototype?

Cuddy Bang

Hi everyone I've been a long time reader of this site due to all the great and wonderful information you all provide and share and this is my first post, I'm hoping I'm doing this correctly. Ive come across this copy of Super Off Road for the Atari Lynx and I'm assuming its a prototype but I'm not quite sure because i have a few other Atari Lynx prototype cartridges and they look different from this particular one. Another thing thats really left me puzzled is that this prototype has an official box and manual with it which appears to be identical to the official release Super Off Road box, i know most if not all prototypes do no usually have manuals or boxes. Im a bit puzzled but hopefully someone can shed some light on what this exactly maybe, I've attached 3 pictures showing the front and back sides but i didn't attach pictures of the box and manual since they are identical to all the other super off road boxes that I've seen. Thank you all in advance :) .

-Cuddy

post-49127-0-42327600-1482059349_thumb.png

post-49127-0-91709300-1482059390_thumb.png

post-49127-0-00517200-1482059484_thumb.png

It's most likely a real commercial release notwithstanding the homemade appearance of the cart. Telegames UK still cobbles its Lynx releases from multiple sources, and you never know what you'll end up with.

I have the same style cart for my copy of 'Bubble Trouble'(in a white plastic clamshell).

It's most likely a real commercial release notwithstanding the homemade appearance of the cart. Telegames UK still cobbles its Lynx releases from multiple sources, and you never know what you'll end up with.

I have the same style cart for my copy of 'Bubble Trouble'(in a white plastic clamshell).

Hey thanks for the response! But when you say "most likely" does that mean your not 100% certain that its an official release and theres still a small chance it may be a prototype? The reason I'm asking for clarification is because I'm currently working out a trade with someone to obtain this copy of Super Off Road in my pictures, since i thought it was a prototype i was offering the guy around $100 in trade value, but if its not a prototype i might need to readjust my offer. Im actually going to post my 2 official Lynx prototypes on here soon for everyone to check out, one is shanghai and i forget what the other is. Anyways thanks again for your help its much appreciated ;-) .

The situation with Telegames releases is complicated: the company is known to have sold whatever was lying around around, and many cart variations, including yours, are known to have been sold by the company. This was particularly true after the commercial death of the Lynx, when Telegames manufactured more copies of its games without utilizing the 'curved lip' commercial molds.

While it's certainly possible that you do have a prototype, you can't determine that from cart type or package contents alone here. Further examination and/or dump might be required.

I have two likely (bought from a former Atari vendor) Telegames prototypes -- Fat Bobby (with cheat mode) and Hyperdrome. Both of them look virtually identical to my commercial release of Bubble Trouble, so a simple eyeballing doesn't much help.

• 2 weeks later...

The situation with Telegames releases is complicated: the company is known to have sold whatever was lying around around, and many cart variations, including yours, are known to have been sold by the company. This was particularly true after the commercial death of the Lynx, when Telegames manufactured more copies of its games without utilizing the 'curved lip' commercial molds.

While it's certainly possible that you do have a prototype, you can't determine that from cart type or package contents alone here. Further examination and/or dump might be required.

I have two likely (bought from a former Atari vendor) Telegames prototypes -- Fat Bobby (with cheat mode) and Hyperdrome. Both of them look virtually identical to my commercial release of Bubble Trouble, so a simple eyeballing doesn't much help.

You broke it down and explained it quite well to me. After looking around this site a little more and looking at other people posts about Telegames cartridges I've come to the conclusion that it is more than likely not a prototype and just a telegames release with out the typical curved lip, i believe someone else on here also had a copy of Super Off Road identical to mine except there's has a different color name sticker white instead of orange. Also the fact that the one I'm looking to obtain has a box and manual pretty much cements that its an official release and not a prototype. Thank you for replying and taking the time to explain it all you've been a big help :)

-Cuddy