IGNORED

Asteroids Deluxe for 2600

LouieYellowFox

A friend of mine used Bithacker to change the sprites of Feralstorm's Asteroids Arcade hack to resemble Asteroids Deluxe, however, neither me or my friend have much experience programming, and we'd really appreciate anyone who's kind enough to finish this game for us. We're trying to bring Asteroids Deluxe to the 2600 in the old style. Using only 8K. Here's the to-do list:

-Make killer satellites function properly. Doesn't have to look too fancy.
-Modify the title screen.
-Alter the shoot sound.
-Change the sprites from white to bright green.
It would be similar to the Flashback 2 version, but a little better. Would anyone care to finish it for us? Please?

post-48572-0-79083600-1482144845_thumb.png

post-48572-0-51623300-1482144846_thumb.png

Asteroids Deluxe(1).zip

• Like 1

-Make killer satellites function properly. Doesn't have to look too fancy.

Due to how Asteroids was written, that's not something easily done. All of the rocks are in either an upward moving or downward moving group. The up/down speed is constant, the only freedom of motion you'll have is left/right.

Might not be a lot of interest as we've got this excellent port:

Thanks!

-Change the sprites from white to bright green.

From the menu:

post-3056-0-07881500-1482428083_thumb.png

You can select the color scheme you like, including green (though Asteroids Deluxe was blue, not green):

post-3056-0-86858300-1482428095_thumb.png

The Magna-Mines are the killer satellites from the arcade, and they're fully functional:

post-3056-0-68066200-1482428201_thumb.png

First shot breaks them into 3 sections, each section will break into 2 after being hit:

post-3056-0-52217600-1482428207_thumb.png

It's hard to play and take screenshots, so in this shot they're leaving the screen after one of them rammed into me:

post-3056-0-05296700-1482428213_thumb.png

• Like 2

Due to how Asteroids was written, that's not something easily done. All of the rocks are in either an upward moving or downward moving group. The up/down speed is constant, the only freedom of motion you'll have is left/right.

Thanks!

From the menu:

attachicon.gifspacerocks20121129_NTSC.png

You can select the color scheme you like, including green (though Asteroids Deluxe was blue, not green):

attachicon.gifspacerocks20121129_NTSC_1.png

The Magna-Mines are the killer satellites from the arcade, and they're fully functional:

attachicon.gifspacerocks20121129_NTSC_2.png

First shot breaks them into 3 sections, each section will break into 2 after being hit:

attachicon.gifspacerocks20121129_NTSC_3.png

It's hard to play and take screenshots, so in this shot they're leaving the screen after one of them rammed into me:

attachicon.gifspacerocks20121129_NTSC_4.png

I hope I didn't offend you, SpiceWare. This was nothing against Space Rocks. Don't get me wrong, we love that game. I was just trying to see if it was possible to hack the official 2600 Asteroids into Asteroids Deluxe, because the Flashback 2 ROMs are impossibly hard to find, so we were trying to replicate that version. Since Space Rocks is much better, the FB2 version is now obsolete, and there's little interest in that version anymore. Space Rocks is the best.
Yes, I know that the arcade version was blue. It's just that the FB2 and 7800 versions were green for some reason.
  • Like 1

I hope I didn't offend you, SpiceWare.

No offense was taken, didn't know if you were familiar with Space Rocks or the color option in its menu.

Hacking the colors, sounds and title screen would be easy. The killer satellites would not due to how the kernel in Asteroids was designed.

• Like 1