IGNORED

Speech synthesizer enclosure

Vorticon

I happen to have a naked speech synth board that used to be mated to a now defunct Rave Speech card, and I wanted to create an enclosure for it and 3D print it.

While I have printed many objects before, they were all designs I downloaded from Thingiverse and I had no experience with 3D design.

After some research, I decided to avoid the classic CAD programs which use the mouse to draw the design on the screen because I felt that they lacked flexibility when it came to making changes and that the mouse was not a great precision device to start with. I ended up settling on OpenScad, an open source CAD program with parametric input, i.e. you do not draw anything by hand, but rather describe your object by adding and subtracting geometric shapes using a very simple scripting language.

Here's my first try at the speech synth enclosure. There is the enclosure itself with 2 corner posts for the screws and one larger central one for support and 2 openings for the connectors. The lid was designed separately and simply press fits on top of the enclosure. Everything is angular for the moment for ease of design. The final dimensions are smaller than the original speech synth case. There is a lot of empty space in the case, and I suppose I could create a tight fitting slim enclosure with external feet to support it, and that might be the next iteration.

In the images below, the parametric code is in the left pane, and the 3D rendering is in the right one. Also attached are the STL files if anyone wants to print them. I will be printing them myself later this week once I receive my new printer. My old one is a first generation printer made of plywood and zip ties (no joke!) and it's becoming quite flaky...

post-25753-0-17110900-1482226176_thumb.jpg

post-25753-0-30158600-1482206664_thumb.jpg

post-25753-0-31585900-1482206679_thumb.jpg

post-25753-0-39905300-1482206704_thumb.jpg

SpeechSynth.zip

• Like 7

So I got my new printer, a Monoprice Maker Select, which is a budget new generation printer. Still requires a lot of nursing, but definitely a huge step up from my original printer.

post-25753-0-54645500-1482888799_thumb.jpg

It worked pretty well once I got the printer settings tweaked, and I'm pretty happy with the results :)

post-25753-0-65104300-1482888818_thumb.jpg

post-25753-0-48197400-1482888833_thumb.jpg

post-25753-0-12056500-1482888856_thumb.jpg

post-25753-0-44729300-1482888869_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Also attached are the STL files if anyone wants to print them.

Vorticon,

Thanks for posting the STL files! I've enclosed a link to them in a blog entry << HERE >> so it'll be easier to find and locate in the years to come as messages scroll down further and further from the top. I'm hoping to see more 3D printer files shared from others in the coming years as well. As these printers become more popular and inexpensive in the future, it'll be great for TI'ers to come here, and print up a cartridge, box or anything else as easily as a label for a cartridge or an instruction manual.

I am just about finished with a layout to put a Speech Synthesizer into the PEB as an alternate home for naked Speech Synthesizer boards. . .this one is a slight improvement on the schematic I posted last week. Like that one, it decodes AMA. AMB, and AMC, but I also added some circuitry to put an LED onto the board. The changes will be added to the next revision of the schematic as well. Now I just have to order a few bare boards to do a test run. . .

PEB Speech Board.pdf

Edited by Ksarul
  • Like 2

Vorticon,

Thanks for posting the STL files! I've enclosed a link to them in a blog entry << HERE >> so it'll be easier to find and locate in the years to come as messages scroll down further and further from the top. I'm hoping to see more 3D printer files shared from others in the coming years as well. As these printers become more popular and inexpensive in the future, it'll be great for TI'ers to come here, and print up a cartridge, box or anything else as easily as a label for a cartridge or an instruction manual.

Sounds good. I have to say that your blog has become a major source of information for a lot of us. Way to go!

By the way, the STL files for the cartridge shell are not in millimeters apparently, which is the universal standard. When I tried to slice them, they were rendered very tiny. Do you know who created them by any chance?

• Like 1

I am just about finished with a layout to put a Speech Synthesizer into the PEB as an alternate home for naked Speech Synthesizer boards. . .this one is a slight improvement on the schematic I posted last week. Like that one, it decodes AMA. AMB, and AMC, but I also added some circuitry to put an LED onto the board. The changes will be added to the next revision of the schematic as well. Now I just have to order a few bare boards to do a test run. . .

Put me down for one quick!!! I have been kind of forlorn since my RAVE card died...

• Like 1

All the dimensions in Acadiel's STL files for the cartridge case need to be multiplied by 25.4 to convert them to millemeters which is the de facto standard for most open source slicing software like Repetier and Cura. I'm currently printing a sample to test, and it looks good so far.

• 2 years later...

I've lost track of this project, and don't remember, did this ever make it to market?