IGNORED

The best Atari 8-bit original game of 2016

Yautja

Hello fellow atarians,

We've just opened this poll in Atariteca: Vote for what you consider the best original games developed this year for Atari 8-bit computers.

IMPORTANT: The listing DOES NOT include ports of games from other platforms nor hacks / improvements of games already published in previous years.

Please, feel free to vote for your favorite(s) as many times you want:

Regards,

- Y -

• Like 2

I think the likes of Bosconian deserve to be eligible - though not an original concept it's a ground up production. I'd call it more a clone than a port. To call something a port a significant amount of the assets should be used, and usually a good amount of borrowing or conversion of program code. But in this case I doubt there was any reverse-engineering of program code and even the graphics are sufficiently different to be able to be called original.

What I meant was: first Yautja writes about "original games", then describes them as not "ports" and not "hacks / improvements" - but there are also games that I would not call original and they are also not ports nor hacks. There could be also conversions with many changes (compared to the original game), there could be clones written from scratch. For example clones are quite popular in 10-liners contest.

It's rather a terminology issue, so you may ignore my remark about The Monk. But what about other issues - why no tenliners?

• Like 1

Well, I have some doubts about your selection.

Joe Painter 2 is from 2015, not 2016.

Warsaw City+ is an improvement of... Warsaw City :)

The Monk was written from scratch, but is heavily based on Minicraft (2011):

Hello Adam,

Many thanks for the aclarations. I've removed Joe Painter 2 and Warsaw City+

I think The Monk is fine and will be kept in the list.

- Y -

• Like 1

I think the likes of Bosconian deserve to be eligible - though not an original concept it's a ground up production. I'd call it more a clone than a port. To call something a port a significant amount of the assets should be used, and usually a good amount of borrowing or conversion of program code. But in this case I doubt there was any reverse-engineering of program code and even the graphics are sufficiently different to be able to be called original.

Hi,

Bosconian will be featured in the next poll.

- Y -

It's rather a terminology issue, so you may ignore my remark about The Monk. But what about other issues - why no tenliners?

From my point of view, it was no fair to make tenliners compete with the other games. Besides that, I did not want to make the list too long.

In any case, I'm pretty sure people can find at least one game to vote for among those more than 20 listed in the poll.

Regards,

- Y -

I think The Monk is fine and will be kept in the list.

Adam is correct, Monk is very close in looks and gameplay to the original PC game. I do think that it deserves "originality" points though as I've never seen anything like it on Atari...

Maybe I missed some games, please feel free to correct me. RPG with terrain modification, planting seeds, zombies, swimming, picking apples and acorns...

Not to mention good looking graphics in ridiculous 80x50 nine color mode... I never expected it to look so good and work so fast. Remember that it's not optimized, there is still lots of free ram for additional enemies and gameplay elements.

My hope is that it will push someone else to make sci-fi, shooter, platform, logical or any other type of game in that mode :)

• Like 1

Yep, The Monk seems very original for 8-bit Atari, probably unique, that's for sure.

Not to mention good looking graphics in ridiculous 80x50 nine color mode... [ . . . ]

My hope is that it will push someone else to make sci-fi, shooter, platform, logical or any other type of game in that mode :)

I'm glad you mentioned it. I'm looking forward to see your game creation tool! :D

Edited by +Adam+
  • Like 3