IGNORED

Intellivision Homebrew Roms?

Tempest

The version of Minehunter linked there doesn't work for me in jzintv on the Ultimate Intellivision Flashback. I don't get any errors; it just tries to load then goes back to the Emulation Station list of games. I tried both with and without the included .CFG file.

I don't see any reason why it doesn't work. The memory map is standard so the cfg file isn't necessary. Did you try copying the file over again?

I don't see any reason why it doesn't work. The memory map is standard so the cfg file isn't necessary. Did you try copying the file over again?

I did. I just found it at another link, and that one works for me. http://www.intellivision.us/roms/minehunter.zip

Edit: Hmm, same location. Oh well, it's working now.

Edited by dgdgagdae

I did. I just found it at another link, and that one works for me. http://www.intellivision.us/roms/minehunter.zip

Edit: Hmm, same location. Oh well, it's working now.

It's the same link. You must have had a bad copy.

And here's another game.

"Oh Mummy!" http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259959-oh-mummy-for-intellivision/

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

I remember once playing Shark Shark 2. I think it may have been on my Ultimate Intellivision Flashback before I had it upgraded to the RPi 3. It was just like Shark Shark, but it allowed the side buttons to be used to dash. I think it was identical in every other way to the original, but I'm not positive. There was even box art; someone had taken the original box and edited a 2 in there.

Any idea where to find this, preferably with the box art?

I remember once playing Shark Shark 2. I think it may have been on my Ultimate Intellivision Flashback before I had it upgraded to the RPi 3. It was just like Shark Shark, but it allowed the side buttons to be used to dash. I think it was identical in every other way to the original, but I'm not positive. There was even box art; someone had taken the original box and edited a 2 in there.

Any idea where to find this, preferably with the box art?

David's Shark! Shark! 2 game added a timer and a button to immediately spawn so a player wouldn't have to wait for his opponent to die before getting back into the game. Not sure if he would want his ROM posted here or not, but maybe Rev's new site will have it listed eventually.

Here is the box art that I made.

post-39531-0-44533600-1483568787_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

David's Shark! Shark! 2 game added a timer and a button to immediately spawn so a player wouldn't have to wait for his opponent to die before getting back into the game. Not sure if he would want his ROM posted here or not, but maybe Rev's new site will have it listed eventually.

Here is the box art that I made.

shark-shark-2.jpg

Intellivision Productions may or may not want the rom posted. The changes itself, may not be copyrightable anyway.

Thanks dzjay, that article explains it. While modding a videogame is definitely a derivative work there has to be sufficient new code for that new code to be copyrightable. For example painting a moustache over the Mona Lisa is a derivative work but that work itself is not enough for itself to be protected. In videogames changing button controls, or variables that affect game gameplay are not enough; the timer code here may or may not be. Also, technically only the copyright owner has the right to create derivatives, but often with videogames the owner does encourage this sort of fan-based modding.

Intellivision Productions could take any hacks that are done....for example, the fixed King of the Mountain and have full rights to release it as their own.

One could argue that the new D2K Arcade screens are a derivative work, but a ton of people decried it as a violation. It is certainly more than a hack of existing code. That doesn't mean that I'm going to get into another discussion about the validity of D2K. I wouldn't have discontinued it if most people thought it was ok. Furthermore, the Special Edition was not an Elektronite release but used excess boxes, so no need to tell me it wasn't discontinued.

Regardless, it is a moot point, as CGPI has closed and all future Elektronite releases are informal.

Well I've read with modern gaming, where there is actual commercial value to these things, there is some controversy. The original game owner is making money distributing fan mods. Technically that might be against the mod authors rights. Im sure they made them press a button suggesting that they have waived all their rights.

From what I understand fixing the bugs in King of the Mountain might be minor enough that its not copyrightable. There might be other original content. Further fixing bugs in software is not considered a copyright violation. [i didnt think Intellivision Productions could take the hacks of their games if those hacks are enough to be copyrightable. They can stop the distribution of those hacks, if anyone cared about this stuff.]

If D2K Arcade screen layouts is a derivative of graphic works, and I don't know that it is, it would still be violation of copyright since only the copyright owner has the right to make derivatives. D1K/D2K is all original code, its just the graphics and sound effectd that are not. Its a "minor" violation.

Edited by mr_me

Intellivision Productions could take any hacks that are done....for example, the fixed King of the Mountain and have full rights to release it as their own.

One could argue that the new D2K Arcade screens are a derivative work, but a ton of people decried it as a violation. It is certainly more than a hack of existing code. That doesn't mean that I'm going to get into another discussion about the validity of D2K. I wouldn't have discontinued it if most people thought it was ok. Furthermore, the Special Edition was not an Elektronite release but used excess boxes, so no need to tell me it wasn't discontinued.

Regardless, it is a moot point, as CGPI has closed and all future Elektronite releases are informal.

D2K is a derivative work and it infringes copyright, the two are not mutually exclusive. This is because the original author has exclusive rights to derivative works.

This doesn't mean that if you make a derivative work the original author can take it from you and monetize it. It just means you can't distribute it without their express license.

-dZ.

Does anyone have a rom file copy of "Dreadnaught Fracture"? There is a Dreadnaught Factor prototype commonly available, I don't thnk its the same thing. Advanced weapons seem to be turned on for all seven difficulty levels but only level 6 is playable.

Is Intellivision D2K Arcade a "derivative work"? According to that wikipedia article its a "creation that includes major copyright-protected elements of an original, previously created first work (the underlying work)". In a video game the major "underlying" work is the code. The arcade "D2K Jumpman Returns" is a derivative work because it uses most of the code of the original. A game like intellivision D2K Arcade might violate copyright on some components without being a derivative work.

edit:

If you make a derivative work where the new stuff is not substantial enough for it itself to be copyrightable than yes the original copyright owner can take it because there is no copyright to violate.

Edited by mr_me

Does anyone have a rom file copy of "Dreadnaught Fracture"? There is a Dreadnaught Factor prototype commonly available, I don't thnk its the same thing. Advanced weapons seem to be turned on for all seven difficulty levels but only level 6 is playable.

pikachu0_7 (eBay account) has one of these burned onto a cartridge. He paid big $ to get it so don't expect him to post the ROM for free (that and he lack to the tools to dump a ROM). If you want the ROM, you can buy the cartridge off of him but it won't be cheap.

This is correct according to that wikipedia article on derivative work.

"In any case where a copyrighted work is used without the permission of the copyright owner, copyright protection will not extend to any part of the work in which such material has been used unlawfully."

I agree about about Wikipedia. In this case they did reference the US Copyright Office arrtcle. Its actually a quote from that US Copyright Office circular 14.

"In any case where a copyrighted work is used without

the permission of the copyright owner, copyright protection will not extend to any part of the work in which such mate-rial has been used unlawfully."

I agree about about Wikipedia. In this case they did reference the US Copyright Office arrtcle. Its actually a quote from that US Copyright Office circular 14.

"In any case where a copyrighted work is used without

the permission of the copyright owner, copyright protection will not extend to any part of the work in which such mate-rial has been used unlawfully."

Yes, but I don't get how you go from there to Intellivision Productions appropriating the derivative work for their own. Are you saying that since it was used unlawfully, there is no copyright protection and therefore the original owner can claim it as its own? I don't think that follows. I think it just means the original owner still owns the copyrights of the original works and the derivative work cannot be published.

-dZ.

Not claim it as their own, but If there is no copyright, anyone can copy it. In about 15 years or whenever the copyrights expire anyone will be able to copy, put on cartridge and sell, any of the old Intellivision games. But why would you buy something you can legally have for free.

So right now anyone can freely copy the hack, but the hack itself is useless without the base software. And Intellivision Productions owns copyright of the base software, so only Intellivision Productions can distribute the complete hacked game.

edit:

Just wanted to add, that although it might be legal, I think it might also be unethical to take someone else's hack and sell it.

Edited by mr_me

Not claim it as their own, but If there is no copyright, anyone can copy it. In about 15 years or whenever the copyrights expire anyone will be able to copy, put on cartridge and sell, any of the old Intellivision games. But why would you buy something you can have for free,

So right now anyone can freely copy the hack, but the hack itself is useless without the base software. And Intellivision Productions owns copyright of the base software, so only Intellivision Productions can distribute the complete hacked game.

Ah, I see. I don't think it means "there is no copyright," I think it means that it is not protected as a work on its own, and it cannot be published. I think it just falls in some sort of legal limbo.

I guess it's like unlawfully gained goods: ownership is forfeited by the perpetrator the moment he gains the goods through unlawful means, but that doesn't mean that anybody can just take them and claim them. They are confiscated and they enter into a very shady legal state (in which the state will do whatever it can to eventually own them).

-dZ.

"Not claim it as their own, but If there is no copyright, anyone can copy it. In about 15 years or whenever the copyrights expire anyone will be able to copy, put on cartridge and sell, any of the old Intellivision games. But why would you buy something you can legally have for free."

Doesn't the copyright time reset for every subsequent release of the content?

So the release of the CD's would reset almost all of the 125 plus the unreleased games, then XBox etc. and most recently the Flashback would protect the 61 roms on it.

Woops, Intellivision game copyrights won't be expiring anytime soon, it looks like corporate copyright terms are much longer; 95 years [in the US]?. But I don't think there is anyway to extend those time periods unless they pass a new law. Doesn't matter much if there is no commercial value to these things.

Edited by mr_me

Also, is there a version of World Series Championship Baseball that works on the Cuttle Cart 3?

Getting back to the original question... I have 2 versions of World Series Major League Baseball that work perfectly with my CC3. Don't recall where I got them (maybe Joe patched them?), but they definitely work. One has the real player names as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting back to the original question... I have 2 versions of World Series Major League Baseball that work perfectly with my CC3. Don't recall where I got them (maybe Joe patched them?), but they definitely work. One has the real player names as well.

If you could upload them that would be great. I have one that kind of works but crashes.