IGNORED

What if NEW computers operated like OLD computers...

Omega-TI

All this trash talk about floppies all the time have never had even half the problems as some of you describe. Have disks from the early 80's still. But then again, I don't keep mine near TV monitors, damp basements, attics, garages, speakers and who knows what all else people do to these things. A little bit of common sense and care goes a loooooong way in life. :)

Only time I've ever witnessed bad floppies is when they've come from someone else. Happened here not that long ago where I was sent a large box full of Amiga games. Each and every disk was toast. Sliding back the cover and looking at the disk itself, could see that it was moldy. Was obviously kept in a humid/damp environment for some time. Screwed up the heads on my drive too, but 2 seconds of cleaning and all was fine again. Not the disks of course, they were truly bad.

Have had extremely good luck with conventional hard drives too. Can't recall one ever going bad on me that was NOT in a Windoze machine that is. Never experienced a hard crash on any Mac or Amiga.

You know what has failed on me almost each and every time I've used them though? Thumbdrives, CF and SD cards used as hard drives. You know those PCMCIA, SCSI or IDE to CF or SD adapters? Even SD cards in the Everdrive devices only a matter of time before they go corrupt and I've lost everything, had to reformat and start all over. No amount of fiddling with max transfer values, file systems, proper formatting, etc. makes a bit of difference. Only one that hasn't given me a lick of trouble yet is on the ACA500 card. BUT just waiting for the day they go bad. This time, I'll be ready!! :lol:

All this trash talk about floppies all the time… have never had even half the problems as some of you describe. Have disks from the early 80's still. But then again, I don't keep mine near TV monitors, damp basements, attics, garages, speakers and who knows what all else people do to these things. A little bit of common sense and care goes a loooooong way in life. :)

My main gripe with floppies is mostly that the reader can go bad if left unused - floppies can be found in NOS, working drives.. not so much, and the most important and annoying thing is that for most 8 bits machines and the Amiga at least, you cannot WRITE floppies from a modern PC for your old machines.

There are exceptions here and there - Latter Thomson computers had a "DOS BASIC" that was able to read FAT12 floppies (but you need to find the floppy first!) but in general, you have your computer on one hand, blank floppies in the middle, and your computer with files you wanna write on floppies in the middle... and that's it.

• Like 1