IGNORED

Super Retro Boy & other game boy clones

godslabrat

I couldn't bring myself to wait until the Super Retro Boy launches in August to play games on a backlit system with an original gray brick Game Boy form factor, so last night I got out my soldering iron, crossed my fingers, and...

KAjzs6B.jpg

Success! Now, what to do about that Game Boy Color...

Awesome Jin! I've got one too, though one of the LEDs went out... :sad:

Awesome Jin! I've got one too, though one of the LEDs went out... :sad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZRFg00OSIc

Aww, you should get the LED panel replaced! It's quite easy to do once the original two layers of polarization film are removed from the back of the screen, that's really the only hard part of the backlighting process and in your case it's already been done since there's a backlight installed in your system already. A new olive green backlight from Deadpan Robot (which is what I used in mine: http://www.deadpanrobot.co.uk/en-gb/collections/backlight-kits-for-nintendo-game-boy-and-game-boy-pocket-dmg-mgb/products/olive-green-backlight-kit-for-nintendo-game-boy-original-and-pocket---by-game-boy-mods-uk ) will only run you $12.25 and it's a simple two solder point install. Heck, I'll put it in for you if you'd rather not do it yourself. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

Ugh I wish I could do that work...but also with what I have I can't put myself to doing it either.

A year ago I got on a Gameboy trip, Jan 2016 was the month of gameboy for me. I ended up getting an original one complete in the box due to a dumb way of listing on ebay for $40 shipped (usually went for triple that.) Owner bought it in 89 for his daughter, she hated it, it went back in the box until it was sold on ebay. Guy sold it in listing, text and most pics as just the handheld, but the last 2 images the first showed the box contents, then the box. A week later, same thing price/condition on a GB Pocket in the original plastic storage snap case box, and then locally found another GB pocket in cardboard. I've kept both systems since they're like new, and I just couldn't make myself hack them up. I ever find another stunning shape GB or GBP I'd consider it, same with Color. I'd be more tempted on a Color one really than the other two. As it is now I have that Vik Tokai slip on light/magnifier for the old GB and it works great, and the worm light for GBP/Color.

If you don't go all out on the old GB or GBP/Color their oem ac adapter/battery box combos are a must. Shame Nintendo never sold the GBP/Color one in the US as it's smaller and works nicely.

As far as the retro boy goes, I can't add in anything more useful than anyone else. The screen with the sides cut off is inexcusable, an abomination really as many games really do use the full view area for gameplay or vital data and f-zero makes it clear about the losses. 100% deal breaker if that wasn't just some temporarily beta cobbled device to show it off. For $80 I'd be otherwise in especially since $20 of it is that wicked Jaleco cart which has some really fine stuff on it.

• Like 1

Aww, you should get the LED panel replaced! It's quite easy to do once the original two layers of polarization film are removed from the back of the screen, that's really the only hard part of the backlighting process and in your case it's already been done since there's a backlight installed in your system already. A new olive green backlight from Deadpan Robot (which is what I used in mine: http://www.deadpanrobot.co.uk/en-gb/collections/backlight-kits-for-nintendo-game-boy-and-game-boy-pocket-dmg-mgb/products/olive-green-backlight-kit-for-nintendo-game-boy-original-and-pocket---by-game-boy-mods-uk ) will only run you $12.25 and it's a simple two solder point install. Heck, I'll put it in for you if you'd rather not do it yourself. :)

Believe me I know how to do it. I installed the first kit myself. Peeling the foil off the screen was the scariest part. I've got a replacement screen, same lime green color too; I just haven't replaced it yet as I've been busy with other projects. ;-)

Also Jin glad to see you getting acquainted with the soldering iron and doing some of your own modwork now. It isn't that hard... ;-)

Ugh I wish I could do that work...but also with what I have I can't put myself to doing it either.

If you don't go all out on the old GB or GBP/Color their oem ac adapter/battery box combos are a must. Shame Nintendo never sold the GBP/Color one in the US as it's smaller and works nicely.

Um, they did release the GBP and GBC in the US. I got one in 1998. Unless I misunderstood you.

I'm talking about the official nintendo rechargeable battery pack/ac adapter combo for the GB Pocket and Color. It only came out in Japan.

A fun site if anyone cares, every single Gameboy(all versions) part listing ever made by Nintendo.

http://maru-chang.com/hard/gb/english.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Game-Boy-Pocket-Color-Light-BATTERY-PACK-CHARGER-MGB-002-MGB-003-2343-/361510693755?hash=item542bb76b7b:g:y~IAAOSwVupTqOA7

That's what I'm talking about MGB-002 and 003 (the battery and the ac adapter.) Works for GBPocket, GB Light, and GB Color.

I've kept both systems since they're like new, and I just couldn't make myself hack them up. I ever find another stunning shape GB or GBP I'd consider it, same with Color. I'd be more tempted on a Color one really than the other two. As it is now I have that Vik Tokai slip on light/magnifier for the old GB and it works great, and the worm light for GBP/Color.

For what it's worth I'm ridiculously picky about the condition of my handhelds and only buy them in brand new or like-new condition, and that original Game Boy that I put the backlight in last night was a brand new in open box system much like the one you found on eBay. I was a little nervous about installing the backlight, but the way I figure it these systems were made to be played and enjoyed; not sit in a box on a shelf gathering dust until the world freezes over. So I went ahead with the project and once it was done I was really glad I did, because I know I'll play my original Game Boy a lot more now that it can be used in any lighting condition. :)

The next project for me will be installing the front light from a AGS-001 model Game Boy Advance SP into my Game Boy Color, which as also purchased new in open box just like my original Game Boy was. I have put a few years of use on the Game Boy Color since then though (usually with the aid of a Nyko Worm Light) so I'm not quite as nervous about modding that one. I'm just hoping that the blue tint of the AGS-001 front light won't be too bothersome, since I really do adore that GBC and would hate to mess it up. I have managed to keep it looking just like new in spite of the couple years of use it's seen. Blue tint or no though I do think I'll use it more often and enjoy it more when I don't have to attach the Worm Light any time I want to play indoors, so I'll give it a go.

Also Jin glad to see you getting acquainted with the soldering iron and doing some of your own modwork now. It isn't that hard... ;-)

You and me both! Learning how to solder was actually really easy, the only hard part was convincing myself to spend the money on the soldering iron and necessary accessories like high quality solder, solder wick, and such. I've done 3 or 4 projects with it already and as far as I'm concerned it's more than paid for itself with the money I've saved by not having to pay someone else to do the work. Plus when you do it yourself you can make sure that everything is exactly the way you want it... like spending half an hour going over the screen lens and screen with a q-tip to make sure there's no fingerprints anywhere then spraying everything down with compressed air a dozen times to make sure that there isn't a single micron of dust anywhere on or near the screen before putting it all back together.

Honestly I think it was my OCD about dust and fingerprints in my handhelds that made me decide to buy a soldering iron and learn to modify my systems myself rather than pay someone else to do it, since I don't think anyone would be as meticulous about it as I would insist on no matter how much I paid them. :lol:

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2

Awesome Jin that you are getting into modding now. I remember that wire harness you asked me to build when you cut off the headers and soldered on the lugs of the arcade button, after telling me you couldn't solder! :lol:

I'm talking about the official nintendo rechargeable battery pack/ac adapter combo for the GB Pocket and Color. It only came out in Japan.

A fun site if anyone cares, every single Gameboy(all versions) part listing ever made by Nintendo.

http://maru-chang.com/hard/gb/english.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Game-Boy-Pocket-Color-Light-BATTERY-PACK-CHARGER-MGB-002-MGB-003-2343-/361510693755?hash=item542bb76b7b:g:y~IAAOSwVupTqOA7

That's what I'm talking about MGB-002 and 003 (the battery and the ac adapter.) Works for GBPocket, GB Light, and GB Color.

I remember I have a Nyko battery pack for the GBA, but the NiCd cells leaked after ten years. I guess I could replace the AA cells with high capacity NMHi if I wanted, but meh... :sad:

Also I still got my original GBC Worm light, and they were better than the Chinese copies being made now.

Oh you're cool, good on you you're comfortable to do that with new/virtually new in box stuff. The most worn gameboy I think I currently have is my NES SP I found used...flawless other than for some odd reason the battery door has scratches. You'd think the top or corners would have the standard wear, but no the battery box which laying flat due to those teeny bumps(feet?) doesn't even touch the ground. I've got a launch days GB, GBP, GBC and the later re-launched GBMicro when they were in those silver boxes it's the gray body one and it too is in its box with papers. I actually use the things. I know it's bad but I stick with period stuff on them so I have that vik tokai light/mag device, and then the worm light.

I had done a mod job once but I screwed up (lack of tools) the plastic re-molding on the inside when doing a 101 in a GBA launch system mod. First drop 3ft down onto carpet cracked the screen. :( Now they're so expensive I have not done it again and won't unless I can find a busted 101 with a nice panel in it again. The way I keep my handhelds looking more or less unused is that each one has it's own individual carry pouch. The GB and GBC they sit inside those club nintendo zelda and mario red/gray pouches. The color I have sitting inside a Final Fantasy III (meant for DS) case. The micro I found this (like FF3) wetsuit material like pouch it fits snuggly into if I need limited space. If a month back I found a black leather Nintendo branded top fold case I think was for the GBP (as it doesn't say Color on it) and it can hold a couple games. Currently have the GBA SP in it and the games in the mesh as to not scratch it. Pocket or not these choices have kept them pretty and I get antsy about screen scratches so I'm very careful about that as I have better than 20-20 vision and little things like that my eye will go to them and drive me OCD nuts over it. :)

During the summer I got my 5 year old girl her first Gameboy (Color) in a lot and it was owned by a girl who grew up with it and she was overly careful, not a scratch anywhere. I've kept it in the same pikachu yellow fold over case which allows play from the inside and got her around 10 games for it so far and she really enjoys it and takes good care of it. If she had not been interested though it would have been a candidate for a lighting update.

• Like 1

Awesome Jin that you are getting into modding now. I remember that wire harness you asked me to build when you cut off the headers and soldered on the lugs of the arcade button, after telling me you couldn't solder! :lol:

I remember I have a Nyko battery pack for the GBA, but the NiCd cells leaked after ten years. I guess I could replace the AA cells with high capacity NMHi if I wanted, but meh... :sad:

Also I still got my original GBC Worm light, and they were better than the Chinese copies being made now.

You're right on that stuff and earlier about soldering. I had to pick up on that after getting into pinball machines in case an old solder joint popped or got cold and needed a fix (which they have.) It allowed me to start doing other stuff like battery replacements in console/handheld carts, fixing popped wires and spots in other devices, and even ROM chip swapping to another board for a Grind Stormer dead cart. It's handy, and if you do it, it's done to your needs.

The Worm Light I have is an old one too, don't recall where I dig up it, probably ebay but I made sure from the packaging (bought it new) it was a Nyko blue deluxe one with the link port pass through and it was like $10 or so. The chinese ones just didn't look right to me even at 1/2 the price so I wasn't going to risk it. The GBC my kid ended up getting I found on craigslist had the standard on in there, seems it's got a short as randomly it can blink out if it's bent a certain way but otherwise bright and excellent. People moan about them but if you just find the angle needed to keep the reflected white dot just above the play field it's a solid choice.

• Like 2

Do you think they'll fix the cropping issued by the time this comes to retail? I'd also like to see a video of the game being inserted and turned on. That would give me enough to know if it is running an emulator or SOAC. Any mention of save states or loading time would be a red flag for sure.

If they don't fix the cropping issue most people won't buy it unless they're uninformed or have no use for GBA games. The amount of loss could really damage some titles and it's just not acceptable. People not knowing any better finding it on a shelf next to one of their consoles will end up buying it though blind and either accepting it or returning it.

• Like 1

If they don't fix the cropping issue most people won't buy it unless they're uninformed or have no use for GBA games. The amount of loss could really damage some titles and it's just not acceptable. People not knowing any better finding it on a shelf next to one of their consoles will end up buying it though blind and either accepting it or returning it.

Just like the AtGames reproduction Atari and Sega machines.

I'm surprised there aren't more questions about it on their Facebook page. This would be a good place for them to address this issue.

https://www.facebook.com/Retrobitgaming/

At this point, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a show prototype, probably an off-the-shelf screen hacked to fit the unit. The more I think about it, the fewer reasons I can find to think this is the same screen that will ship in august.

The problem I have is, I also have no reason to think the production screens won't be gloriously screwed up in their own unique way. Because if there's one thing clone manufacturers never fail at, it's finding new ways to screw up the basics.

• Like 3

The problem I have is, I also have no reason to think the production screens won't be gloriously screwed up in their own unique way. Because if there's one thing clone manufacturers never fail at, it's finding new ways to screw up the basics.

It's hard, especially with overseas production and a low ceiling for cost. I am reminded of this old project management joke

post-2410-0-49618600-1484335510_thumb.png

• Like 4

I thought I'd poke around AliExpress and see what crazy things were available ...

(...)

Then I got cold feet about putting payment information into this very sketchy site.

I ordered from AliExpress quite a lot, more than Taobao at least, and never had problems. Of course theres always the risk of hitting a fucktard seller but that's no different than e-bay. The website is actually a portal of Alibaba which is a rather huge site for ordering in bulk from manufacturers.

I got the GB Boy Color from there some time ago and for the price it's fantastic (at least it was better than.expected). Sure the screen has a wrong aspect ratio, but it was dirt cheap and I have a machine I can. let the kids bring around without too much worry. I got them going on Pokemon blue for a while. :)

I think there is also a GB SP clone out there but didn't try it myself.

Edited by Newsdee

Word. I would put up with improper aspect ratio or letter/pillarboxing before I'd deal with cropping. There are no "safe zones" on GBA display hardware so the text often extends to the boundary of the displayable image. One minor fault I have when playing the Advance Retro Port on a CRT, but overall it's very playable.

I will give the benefit of the doubt with Retrobit, but will cautiously wait for reviews. Unless they offer something extraordinary for the price point, it's kind of hard to recommend the $80 MSRP if this console exhibits any faults, even if relatively minor, over a $30-$50 for a smaller, lighter GBA-SP (either model; the side lit 001 version really isn't that bad as people make it out to be, and the screen is viewable from total darkness to direct sunlight).

I ordered from AliExpress quite a lot, more than Taobao at least, and never had problems. Of course theres always the risk of hitting a fucktard seller but that's no different than e-bay. The website is actually a portal of Alibaba which is a rather huge site for ordering in bulk from manufacturers.

I got the GB Boy Color from there some time ago and for the price it's fantastic (at least it was better than.expected). Sure the screen has a wrong aspect ratio, but it was dirt cheap and I have a machine I can. let the kids bring around without too much worry. I got them going on Pokemon blue for a while. :)

I think there is also a GB SP clone out there but didn't try it myself.

Fait warning, so far, the only "GBA SP clone" on Aliexpress is a GB Boy Colour in GBA SP form factor, so not compatible with GBA SP games. But I might have missed that one.

Yes but the K1 has its problems too, it's not as excellent as it is made out to be. Better off still using an original unit or any decent emulation setup with a controller if you want features over what GBA SP does.

I find it hard to give a company that put out that retro abortion box much benefit of the doubt. That said, I can't see how you'd jack up a static cartridge so the Jaleco collections are a welcome cheap options at $20 a pop. I can not trust the Gameboy until others are the victim of being a guinea pig for it. Their retro turd box couldn't even emulate Gameboy let alone the NES right, and we're to think they can possibly pull off all 3 Gameboys accurately?

• Like 2

The K1 GBA SP is the good clone of the folding GBA. I think it was designed by the people who did the later Revo. It's many years old now but has received good reviews.

http://www.k1gba.com/

I know the K1 came with it's own flash cart (that doesn't work on real hardware), but does it work with the GBA X5?