IGNORED

TI Interface proof-of-concept

ElectricLab

Really great idea! I had been mulling about doing something similar myself, a sort of universal interface for experimentation. Who made the breadboard adapter? I would love to have one myself.

That said, so far I have found that the parallel port, with its 4 control lines and bidirectional 8 data lines, is usually plenty enough for most of my interfacing projects, without requiring additional circuitry, and also being super easy to access from assembly or Forth. For example, the Cylon eyes (or Night Rider eyes :) ) would be trivial to demo using just the parallel port.

What do you envision using this setup for?

Really great idea! I had been mulling about doing something similar myself, a sort of universal interface for experimentation. Who made the breadboard adapter? I would love to have one myself.

That said, so far I have found that the parallel port, with its 4 control lines and bidirectional 8 data lines, is usually plenty enough for most of my interfacing projects, without requiring additional circuitry, and also being super easy to access from assembly or Forth. For example, the Cylon eyes (or Night Rider eyes :) ) would be trivial to demo using just the parallel port.

What do you envision using this setup for?

Thanks Vorticon. I think this has the potential to do much faster IO than the parallel port, and will allow for full-duplex communication by using more than one address. Not requiring a parallel port is another plus. I envision creating a Arduino-shield style board that could plug into M@'s memory expansion that could contain an ethernet or wifi module. Or ?

Thanks Vorticon. I think this has the potential to do much faster IO than the parallel port, and will allow for full-duplex communication by using more than one address. Not requiring a parallel port is another plus. I envision creating a Arduino-shield style board that could plug into M@'s memory expansion that could contain an ethernet or wifi module. Or ?

I see where you are going with this, and I agree that the flexibility and speed of that kind of setup will open all sorts of options... Can't wait to see what you can come up with :)

For other hacking, if you want this sort of functionality in a cartridge, the UberGROM was designed with I/O in mind. You have six programmable GPIO pins and four ADC inputs, as well as a programmable UART. It's all accessed by simply reading and writing as if they were GROM memory. I really need to do a demonstration video sometime ;)

Very cool to see what you put together there!

• Like 1