IGNORED

Printing using Altirra?

Mclaneinc

What would be the use of that? Is there any software, which doesn't account for an 850 for printing?

E.g. Print Shop just print 7 graphic lines, then advances the paper accordingly to circumvent the EOL conversion.

Altirra's (or whatever emulator's) ability to output raw data sent to P: device could be very beneficial. Imagine a standalone printer emulator (1029, 1027 or whatever) program that would take the raw data stream and generate a PDF. That would also keep the printer emulation outside Altirra. With libraries like cairo (free and relatively simple rendering to PDF) and pango (rendering of text), it could result in a portable (Win/Mac/Lin) solution. And if someone creates a ttf version of the 1029 and 1027's font, here we are. Such standalone printer emulator would also allow convenient localization.

Of course, there are few EPSON printer emulators already that print to PDF too. So if Altirra could output the raw datastream from an application that supports EPSON standard, you can have your PDF.

Edit:

When thinking about it, If the Atari application uses CIO to print, who prevents us from printing to D1:FILE.PRN or H1:FILE.PRN and feed the printer emulator....

Edited by baktra
  • Like 2

Altirra's (or whatever emulator's) ability to output raw data sent to P: device could be very beneficial. Imagine a standalone printer emulator (1029, 1027 or whatever) program that would take the raw data stream and generate a PDF. That would also keep the printer emulation outside Altirra. With libraries like cairo (free and relatively simple rendering to PDF) and pango (rendering of text), it could result in a portable (Win/Mac/Lin) solution. And if someone creates a ttf version of the 1029 and 1027's font, here we are. Such standalone printer emulator would also allow convenient localization.

Ok, I thought we are talking ESC/P. For most of the Atari Printer, only raw output makes sense. I already implemented Atari 1020 and 1027 emulation in RespeQt like this.

But for ESC/P, you have to assume there is a 850 inbetween. And that's how I also implemented the Centronics connected printers (of which I actually implemented none ;-) ).

Edited by JoSch
  • Like 1